“Great space, mediocre food, horrific service”
Review of Restaurant Alegre

Restaurant Alegre
Ranked #116 of 461 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the best gastronomy together with high quality wines, following our philosophy: benefit of the local products with a particular emphasis on sea products, with the idea of transforming them according the mood of the chef. Whether for a romantic or family diner, or a company event, in our Alegre restaurant you will find a perfect place to enjoy our cuisine, both in the interior of the restaurant and our terrace, always with sea views. We offer you the possibility to go down to the hotel's wine cellar to choose your own bottle to accompany your meal
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We wanted to have an upscale dining experience in Valparaiso. Alegre was a tempting choice, set in a gorgeous hotel overlooking the bay. We booked ahead; the confirmation email stated that we could enjoy a drink on the patio prior to dinner. When we arrived and checked in with the host, we headed to the terrace for a drink. We were there for thirty minutes and no one came to clean our table or take our order. We had to clean the dirty glasses off our table ourselves. I had to seek out the waiter to take our drink order. There was an extensive drink list, but only two out of 15-20 drinks were available. I was aghast, and this is was to be the beginning of a great meal? Clearly it was going to be an odd experience.
When we left the patio and entered the restaurant I informed the host of the horrific lack of service upstairs on the patio. He apologized and offered us two glasses of champagne which was a nice touch. The menu looked inventive and we were excited that things may improve. Unfortunately, the poor service continued. We were not offered water at all thought the meal. The dishes from the amuses bouches were not cleared until well past the appetizers. The inventive menu missed on the basics while focusing on molecular gastronomy. We informed the waiter that one of us was a vegetarian yet nearly every dish served had either some chicken in it or some form of chicken flavored foam.
The blue egg appetizer was just a regular egg. When one describes a hard to come by blue egg, the customer imagines either a blue yolk or a blue shell. This was not the case; just a regular egg that costs US$20 as an appetizer. Our entrees were both fish, the conger eel and cod. Neither tasted fresh; both were very fishy. The dessert, churros, were soggy.
This is one of the priciest restaurants in Valparaiso, but you are only paying for the setting. The service will leave you aghast as it did us, and the food will make you wonder why the chef does not focus more on getting the basic quality of food correct, instead focusing on jellies and foams. I hardly rant when I review; and I am an avid foodie. Believe me, avoid this place and have wonderful meals elsewhere in Valpa, at a fraction of the price.

1  Thank Brooklynite_Abroad

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

It was a very interesting and pleasant experience to dine at this restaurant. Service was really timed and professional. Creative cuisine!
Extremely expensive for size of the portions: really small (more like 'amuse bouche').

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We went for the Tasting menu and the wine pairing and were very impressed by the skills of Sergio Barroso. The dished are influenced by traditional chilean cuisine but executed to a standard that is hard to find in Chile. The chef's creativity was noticeable in every dish but he never went over the top. Service was very friendly and welcomingly casual for a fine dining restaurant. Value for money was excellent, you would easily pay double the price in Europe. Unfortunately there were only three tables booked that night, a couple more people would have added to a more buzzing atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was very much looking forward to my meal at Alegre, but I was a little disappointed.

The positives: Fantastic piano bar upstairs to enjoy before you get your table, creative dishes, lots of little surprises to taste in between courses. The food was good, but I wasn't blown away.

The negatives: The service was not very good. The wait staff, while it's clear that they try, is very young and inexperienced for a fine dining restaurant. They couldn't answer many questions about the food, they didn't ensure good timing between courses (the cocktails took so long that we didn't have time to join them before the main course came out) and they brought out our food without ever asking us if we wanted wine. Another thing that I found to be quite comical is that the waitress would only speak to my date. Even if I asked a question, she would turn to him and give the answer, so much so that I couldn't hear her and had to ask for a translation after she left. Maybe I looked mean that night?!?

In summary, the food is interesting, but don't expect the full fine dining experience you are paying for!

sergio b, Chef at Restaurant Alegre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Thank you very much for your time.

Your opinion is really important for us and your words will help us improve our service and overcome ourselves us a team, this is why all good, regular or bad critics are always well received.

Kind regards
Astoreca´s team

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had arrived in Valparaiso earlier that evening, and wondered where to eat. We walked - just 10 minutes from the Hotel Zero (also reviewed) to find the restaurant Montealegre. We were warmly welcomed, and the food was excellent. If I simply say - we returned the following evening......

There were 6 in our party, and I think we would all recommend this restaurant.

Dear Barrie

Thank you very much for your comments.

We are glad that you and your friends enjoy the experience in our restaurant. We certainly hope to see you again if you ever come back to our lovely Valparaíso.

Kind regards