“Perfect stay at Hotel Palacio Astoreca”

Palacio Astoreca Hotel
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Valparaiso
Burlington
“Perfect stay at Hotel Palacio Astoreca”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spent 2 nights in Valparaiso and stayed at Hotel Palacio Astoreca. Palacio Astoreca was not our first choice in hotel. We had chosen Zerohotel to start with but had an unpleasant experience with them ( review can be found under Zerohotel ), so in the last minute we chose Palacio Astoreca.
The room price is a bit more expensive but I cannot express how delightful the hotel is. It is situated in a perfect area, where you can have an ampitheatre view of the Valparaiso port. We had seen tourguides and tourists around the hotel to admire the scenery. Even the hotel itself is interesting since it is a restored building.
Our room is a premium room and even though it is on the side of the hotel, we can see both the hills and bay of Valparaiso. It is very pretty at night as well.
I have to say that what impresses me most is the staff of the hotel. They were polite, friendly and went out of their way to cater to us. After a day of touring Valaparaiso, we actually looked forward to return to the hotel to relax. On the weekend they have a pianist playing on the patio. It has the perfect setting, quiet, romantic and charming.
The restaurant is also very good. The dishes are original and delicious. We had opted for the tasting menu and was duly impressed. The service was excellent. It was so good, we went back the second night and ordered a la carte. However, we found out that some dishes were similar to the ones in the tasting menu. That was the only drawback.
I would not hestitate to go back and stay at Hotel Palacio Astoreca again if I have another chance to visit Valparaiso in the future.

Room Tip: Do get a room with a view. It is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SwimgirlBurlington
opalcol, Manager at Palacio Astoreca Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are delighted you had such a wonderful time at the hotel. It is always rewarding for the staff to know that all the heart put into their work is appreciated. We hope to have the chance to come back, and enjoy once more the hotel, piano lounge, the spa and restaurant.
Kind regards,
Team Palacio Astoreca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 4 April 2013

There are many places with good rooms or nice views, but few compare to the blend and harmony of all element that the Palacio Astoreca offers. Know that you will be staying in a tasteful art gallery and not a hotel, with food that leaves you wanting more, and with charming staff that seem to love their job

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PhotographyTraveller
Thank you for your lovely comments, we are glad you appreciated all the art in the hotel, the owners are in fact art lover and have gone out of their way to offer a wide collection of antiques and paintings through out the hotel. Which has led to the most wonderful blend of old and new with a very bohemian chic style in the rooms, spa, library, piano lounge and terrace that offers a stunning view. The staff appreciates greatly your comments as they do love their city as well as their job which allows them to flaunt it.
The restaurant "Alegre" is indeed a great addition to the hotel with it's talented spaniard chef Sergio Barroso in charge!
Kind regards,
Miami
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

After traveling several times to Valparaiso, we chose this place as it was new. The building is very nice and the room of a good size. The bathroom thou was super tiny and with a window to the room that allowed no privacy at all. I get the idea of sensuality with a view of the shower, but not the whole 9 yards!
Service is still without experience and their recommendations of the area far from perfect. Service at the restaurant way below average for this kind of premises.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank senseeker
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments, we appreciate that you liked the style of the hotel which is an old victorian mansion that has undergone renovation during 3 years before becoming a 23 room boutique hotel last September in the heart of the historic quarter of Valparaiso.
Being a boutique hotel every room is quite different therefore we are sorry to learn that the one you slept in had a bathroom style that was not of your liking, rest assured that they are not all the same.
Regarding the service we are quite surprised to learn that it was not one of high standard and we do apologize for any inconvenience as the staff is generally very obliging.
Hopefully if you do come back you will give the hotel a second chance, we believe you will not be disappointed!
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The hotel was recommended to me by the Chile Tourist Office during the ITB (International Travel Trade Show in Berlin) last March, although the hotel hadn't opened yet. I liked the photos on their website and decided to book. It turned out that my fiancé and I were the first guests who had booked a room at the Palacio Astoreca.
As a travel journalist I am a frequent traveler and I stay in many hotels throughout the year, mainly in 4-5 star hotels. The Palacio Astoreca is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in - I walked in and fell in love with the hotel. The interior design of the hall and the rooms reminded me of a manor in Denmark, bright, spacious and friendly. The breakfast buffet was just great, lots of fruits and fresh juices. I am a vegan, my fiancé is vegetarian and the chef prepared a great meal for us at the New Year Eve's dinner. From the hotel's terrace there's a wonderful view over the hills and the harbor and we had a close-up view of the fireworks. On our third day we got an upgrade to the suite deluxe (with a big terrace) from where we had an even more spectacular view over the city and the harbor. I especially liked the vintage bathtub - taking a shower I could see the harbor. The personnel was extremely friendly and helpful in booking a car for our trip to Santa Cruz. We felt like being at home and most certainly will come back one day.

Room Tip: From the suite deluxe you have a spectacular view over the harbor.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cornelia_Lohs
Aqualung_Chile, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Palacio Astoreca Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear Mrs. Lohs, thank you very much for your comment and our best regards to your family, looking forward to see you again.
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Could not spend one night. Just a few minutes we arrived we decided to leave. The spa while having a great design is underground. Standard rooms lack completely of a relaxing view. Service is way overreacting generating unpleasant moments. We didn't find what we insist to get and they promise to have. Not even the reservations were what we were expecting to have. Just few minutes of stay and no way coming back again.

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank CrLyon
Vincent J, Propriétaire at Palacio Astoreca Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Just to let know that this "member" write just one review during all his tripadvisor life, so we consider it as very suspect.
Chile
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Having not find reviews for this recently opened hotel, I was hesitant to stay here this past weekend.
The former palace has the charm of a very old mansion, renovated and transformed into a twenty three guestroom hotel. There are many details of the splendour times, as the beautiful recovered wooden floors and many decorative friezes.
The rooms are comfortable and the view certainly was beautiful. We stayed in room 14, which had a view of the roofs nearby and partially you could see the bay in the far corner.
I have to mention a big no-no of our experience. After I opened the windows, to feel the cool breeze of the sea and the noise from the seagulls (spring just started in Chile), in a matter of minutes the room was infested with flies!! I don't have a problem with the ocassional house fly, but this was ridiculous, I felt inside a barn. The thing is that it's not warm yet so I can't imagine how the situation will be at summer time. I guess for now, I could have been warned with a note on the desk, to open the windows at my risk, expecting some flies.
When I mentioned the fact during check-out, the lady said that they knew already that this was a big problem and they were considering it. No solutions for now I guess, and no compensations were offered either.
The Alegre restaurant is very nice, we had a good meal, the service was very good. I did observe that there were only four tables being served, having a much larger capacity, and also having witnessed two or three refusal to walk in customers, and refusal also to a couple that were having a drink at the terrace at the hotel. It might have something to do with beeing a new place, it looked as a trial period to me, even though the hotel and restaurant are fully operating since the first days of October.
The breakfast wasn't particularly satisfactory for me. The selection wasn't very plentiful; not different assortment of breads, just one type of cereal (only sugared), no orange juice choice, no jams, no eggs, and to get a waiter to serve me some tea, I had to go and fetch him myself to the kitchen area. I know I was in the limit serving time frame (around ten in the morning), but having only few guests at the time (according to the reception desk man), the staff could have been more attentive.
Another detail that I can mention, is that when I asked if it was possible to get turn down service to the girl in the reception desk, when we were on our way to dinner, she looked at me as if I had requested something from out of this world, and she answered that she was going to try and get someone from housekeeping. The bed was arranged when we returned back to our room.
Even though I did not use the Spa area, it looked quite good and beautiful.
There are many issues to be attended, it has the potential to offer you a memorable stay. I really hope that they don't get short in the details.
Overall, the stay was nice, the place sure is charming but I'm not sure if I would choose to stay here again, when returning to Valparaíso.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clandrea
We are glad that you appreciated greatly the hotel's unique style and grace. I hope you do have the opportunity to come back and experience the wonderful spa, with its hammam, heated swimming pool, hot tub or maybe indulge with a massage. It would also give you the chance to try more of the wonderful menu of the restaurant "Alegre" which we are happy to learn you enjoyed.
Regarding the fly invasion rest assured it is no longer so, you can open the windows freely to enjoy the sea breeze from any of the 23 rooms.
You will also now be able to enjoy a very nice breakfast including eggs, orange juice and all very high quality products, we're sure you would not be disappointed.
So we do hope you have the opportunity to come back and live all these wonderful experiences now that the hotel has been up and running for a few months, we would be delighted to host you again in the future.