“Lovely little hotel”

Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Valparaiso
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely little hotel”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is a small boutique hotel in the Cerro Carcel area high up in the hills.The room 7 that I am in has sweeping views of the harbour below and is an easy walk down to the old centre.Pleasant staff who are extremely helpful. Bus 67 from Salvador Donoso street down town stops at the Plaza Bismarck which is only a short stroll uphill to the hotel.Apparently the hotel is popular with people from Santiago over the week end so suggest staying during the week.Would have no hesitation in staying here again as a short stroll to many of the main tourist attractions but don't try walking back up the hills from down town as 300 Pesos is all it costs to get back up by bus

Room Tip: Try for a room with harbour view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kenhall1942

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in Valpo over the last several years (sorry I didn't do reviews for many of them- recommendations below) and this has been my worst experience by far.

The positives:
1) It is located half-way between Cerros Concepción and Alegre (shops, restaurants, and art galleries) and Cerros Bellavista and Florida (Pablo Neruda's house and several fantastic restaurants). It's about a 20 minute walk both ways via Alemana St. and it's safe to do so.
2) There is off-street parking, which is not always easy to find.
3) The breakfast area is cute and quirky.
4) The view from many of the rooms is nice as long as you don't look down at the parking area.

The negatives:
1) The staff is not very professional. I made reservations by phone/email and they never responded to me to assure me that I had the reservation or to confirm the prices. When we arrived nobody offered to help us with our luggage up the two flights of stairs to our room. When I politely gave the women at the front desk my feedback when I checked out, she showed no concern for the fact that I was unhappy with the hotel. She simply said "Ok, have a nice day."
2) I was in a premium room and it was very small. The carpet was a dark blue and looked very dirty. The furniture looked cheap and homemade. The bathroom was all white, had no character, and had a cheap looking vanity and tub.
3) The bed was completely unacceptable for a hotel that charges $240 a night. It was thin and old and jiggled when you moved. I slept on better mattresses in cheap hostels back when I was in college.
4) The room was not that clean, hairs everywhere.
5) The tables on the deck were rusted.
6) To get from the hotel to the parking garage you have to either walk on the street or on an uneven, dirt sidewalk. I appreciate the fact that Valpo doesn't always have sidewalks, but what is on the hotel's property should be fixed and walkable for its guests.

In general I found Ultramar to be a hotel of very low quality. Camila 109 and Sutherland House are in the same general area and I've stayed at both of them. Camila 109 is a 4 room B&B that is half the price. The staff is delightful, the rooms are clean and have a nice design, and the breakfast is great. I think Sutherland House is around the same price as Ultramar, but it's cleaner, nicer, the staff was very helpful and breakfast was better.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JLBurch
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Great location with character galore. Exposed beams, soaring ceilings, wooden floors, charming lounge and breakfast room including patio with views over the bay. Simple rooms, comfortable beds, utilitarian bathrooms. Not the quietest night's sleep on the street side of the hotel due to the ubiquitous dogs of Valpo - earplugs helped. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Even though we had to check out on the morning of our departure, they allowed us to return to clean up and change clothes at the end of a hot day trudging up and down the spectacular hills of the city.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I had a room at the front of the hotel and the cars going up the hill outside reving up their engines to make the hill, kept me awake most of the night. All the floors are wood and when the guest in the room above yours more around, it sounds as if they are wearing wooden shoes. If you want a night sleep ask for a room in the back or stay at a different hotel. Hotel is clean and personnel overall helpful. The view from the terras is outstanding.,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Tiburon, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Very nice little hotel up in the hills -- not far from the touristy parts of Valpo but far enough away the be tranquil in the evenings. Great views from the deck and balcony. The "garage" is a sight to behold--a vacant dirt lot with some collapsing buildings--and the properties that adjoin the Ultramar are pretty dilapidated to American eyes. But the hotel itself is a gem, and reasonably priced, as well. Two caveats: 1. we tried to get reservations for New Year's Eve, but demand drove those prices to unsustainable levels. Still, starting on Jan. 1 the pricing was very reasonable considering what you get. 2. we left an international charger/adapter in our room, and though I emailed about it after departure I never heard back. Ah, well, my fault for leaving it plugged in ....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Huntington Beach
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Driving up the narrow streets I was getting nervous about where I had planned our stay, but once entering the Ultramar, my views began to change. Nice place. Great view. Friendly and helpful staff. Don't let the "looks" of the neighborhood fool you, once you've been there a while you realize that it's an OK place to be. Plus, great restaurants within walking distance - try the Cafe Vanilo.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I found this hotel to be great value, many have written about the small size of the room but for what you pay I think it's fine especially given the view! Very comfortable and clean, close the main cerros concepción and alegre. The staff could do with a bit more of restaurant knowledge, what's open etc as I went to one that was closed, no big deal as I then found and excellent one across the road.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo