“Amazing hotel, great experience.”

NU House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #33 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Hartford, Connecticut
“Amazing hotel, great experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Stayed at Nu House while I was on vacation with my friends and had one of, if not the best hotel experience ever. I was traveling with a group of girls (4 of us) and when we got to the airport the shuttle to the hotel was waiting for us. The driver was so friendly and polite that we felt comfortable straight away. The hotel staff was incredibly welcoming and made us feel very special - accomodating every single one of our requests. The hotel was clean, super chic and cozy. We were in such a great location, just steps away from great restaurants with live bands. Plaza foch was always lively and as girls safety is a huge concern - we felt safe at all times. We had so much fun I would love to come back again. Nu House is highly reccomended!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank bbcrazy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

The staff at this hotel are exceptional. Excellent value for the price. Located in the middle of the downtown with a lot of restaurants and bars around. The experience was wonderful

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank PS10101973
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

We travelled to Galapagos & Ecuador mainland for 17 days and we just stayed in Nu House for one night - our last night in Quito. We checked into a triple room with three comfortable beds, flat screen TV, air conditioner and a mini safety box. The shower was great with plenty of hot water and excellent water pressure. However, the room was extremely small. When we checked in, we were handed some coupons for welcome drinks and breakfast. Since we needed to leave at 4:30am in the morning for a 6:30 am flight, we asked the gentleman in the reception desk if they could prepare a simple breakfast box for each of us. The gentleman didnt speak very fluent English and we were not sure about his answer. Later we found that breakfast were not served right there in the hotel restaurant but in a nearby cafe, and the cafe didnt open for business till 8am. So we thought our request for breakfast boxes might not be entertained. We checked out at 4:30am next day and to our surprise, three breakfast boxes were waiting for us. Each box contained a huge sandwitches with veggi, tuna fish, ham, cheese and eggs, and also a green apple and a yogurt drink. It was really out of our expectation. A very nice memory to complete our Ecuadorean tour.

4 Thank fatmuimui
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

unbeatable great location right on main sqaure in mariscal (ie, gringolandia). definitely puts you in the middle of it - restaurants, cafes, bars, action. decor is "scandanavian modern", with a nice flat screen TV with cable (great for watching the french open for me!). bathroom with one of the best showers i've ever used (no water shortage there!). very clean.

we were in a room on the 1st floor (well, primer piso, which is the second floor in US terms). it was tiny. i asked for a quiet room - so we had no view (which was fine). with the double paned windows closed, it was quiet. but since there is no AC, it got a little stuffy at night, so had to crack the window (in the bathroom, even!), and the thud thud thud of the bass beats could be heard into the wee hours of the morning.

no wifi in the rooms, though they have wired (free) internet, and provide cables.

one big negative: i had a big stack of coins on the table, and i stepped out for breakfast. when i got back, housekeepers were working on the room, and all the money was gone. of course, "no one had seen it".

also, i had made a reservation by email with credit card number emailed in to confirm. when i arrived, there was no record of my reservation. fortunately, there were rooms available. also - i had negotiated a "discount" by email, and the front desk clerk honored it, even without documentation. so, kudos to the front desk.

i think that at the end of the day though, it was a little bit pricey for what we got. but it was fine.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liustephen
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Just spend 5 days in Quito on a business trip and stayed at nu house hotel. I stayed here mainly because of the positive reviews I read here. Although, I did see some negative remarks on noise I decided that the positives were much more. I am glad to have chosen nu house as my home/office in Quito. The hotel is very cool and the rooms are a really great size. I stayed in suite 504 and loved the room. The suite had a large living area where I was able to entertain friends. The room was pretty slick. The location is simply great. The area is full of restaurants, bars and a cool night scene. Yes the plaza area does get packed with people (both local and tourists) but that was perfect for me. I met a lot of great people on this trip. The food was very good and the prices are great. Despite being a small boutique I thought that hotel service was first rate. Just the right amount of attention to make you feel right at home. The noise did not really bother me and I actually hung out with other people staying in nu house and they said their rooms were not loud at all. If you are a light sleeper I would suggest to get a room in the back area. But I prefer the rooms facing the plaza. I will be returning to Quito and I definitely plan on making nu house my home away from home. I strongly recommend this hotel for all visiting Quito.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BenGlenn
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

Although the Nu House is a trendy hotel, we found the customer service of its staff severely lacking and the noise at night from the various bars and restaurants too loud to ignore.

The rooms were small but adequate in size. However, the bathroom was tiny and had a step up...something we considered a safety hazard if one is not used to stepping down into the bedroom. What irritated us greatly was the fact that they would only provide one small bottle of water the first night to brush our teeth. We could not drink the tap water. The other nights they charged $1.50 per bottle. When we complained, they completely ignored us.

As a result (because of lack of a $.23 bottle of water that we eventually bought in a store), we moved to the Radisson where we were much better treated.

In addition, the partying and street noise is very disruptive to sleep, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights. This may be a great place for 20-something people wanting to party near their hotel but persons who want a good rest before taking off for the Galapagos should look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Definitely on the upper floors to avoid the noise