“I keep going back... love the appetizers”
Review of Astrid y Gaston - CLOSED

Astrid y Gaston
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Quito, Ecuador
“I keep going back... love the appetizers”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Lima's Astrid y Gastón is the restaurant that started the gourmet food revolution in Peru. And Quito's Astrid y Gaston let's you understand why it all started there: fresh local products, traditional recipes and a great pride and creativity that takes the traditional dishes to new places.

Astrid y Gastón has been one of my favorite restaurants in Quito since it opened, years ago. I almost never order main dishes, I only get appetizers or piqueos: ceviches, causas, pulpo, lomitos saltados, papas a la huancaina, etc. I love the leches de tigre y pantera (the juice from the ceviche) which are not in the menu. And often, when I don't see something that I really want on the menu, I ask for it... I like the statement in the menu saying that you can ask for any recipe to be modified, that they are not artists but craftsmen.

When I need to entertain groups or foreign visitors, I often take them there. I prefer to be helped by Gonzalo, my favorite waiter. I used to know the former chef and I always enjoyed chatting with him, but the quality has remained the same after he left.

I do have other favorites in Quito, but I go to Astrid y Gaston when I want to take someone to a restaurant that is a bit more formal and has great food.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Sinincay

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Delicious Delicious”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

2nd best restaurant we ate at in Quito (top prize goes to Zazu). Located in a suburban neighborhood, it is a bit outside of the typical crowded areas. Try the Tuna and the ceviche sampler.

Visited June 2012
“The greatest selection of Piscos... And excellent food!”
Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

The food is excellent! That's it! But the "side attraction" should be the great selection of Piscos that they offer! If you are visiting by the first time I do suggest you give a chance to the "Macuya Pisco" you will enjoy an exotic drink that will last in your memory for a while...

Quito, Ecuador
“Great food, great service. Consistent”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This is my favorite Peruvian restaurant in Quito. I like the ambiance, it is very relaxed and the service is very caring to the customer. The food is not pretentious though it is very well presented, fair portions, and excellent flavors.

• Visited June 2012
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Great experience!!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Best Peruvian restaurant in Ecuador!! The staff is marvelous, food is spectacular and great piscos collection! Top recommendation!!