“fantastic value”

Ranked #61 of 258 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“fantastic value”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

we stayed here two different times while in Ecuador. it was a great choice. the facilities are fantastic and the owner was very knowledgeable and willing to help us navigate the city. it is a safe area and was a great value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank d S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed in Casapaxi for five nights. The guesthouse is beautiful and well-maintained. We had access to the kitchen and the garden which was very relaxing. The owner of the guesthouse was really nice and very helpful. We had questions about getting around Quito and the owner helped us with good recommendations. It was fun interacting with her. Through her, we were able to get ride from a trusted taxi. He was also very honest and helpful too. The neighborhood is quiet. We slept very well. If I come back to Quito again, I will definitely stay in Casapaxi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 765masi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was almost perfect for me. At a very reasonable price you are basically getting your own house - dining room, living room, kitchen, patio - in Quito. Luigina is lovely and very helpful and the neighbourhood is quiet compared to staying in la mariscal or the old town, and feels safe. Stayed here three nights but will definitely be back next week. The only draw back is the lack of internet but there are two internet cafes very close by, and it is a good place for an internet detox. It really suits anyone who wants a nice place in Quito and is not bothered about being far from the Old Town. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon C
vancouver
Reviewed 23 August 2013

More of a guesthouse then a hostel, I stayed here for 3 weeks while going to school and felt right at home the whole time. It's out of the main tourist area, in a safe family neighbourhood but only a 10 min bus ride to Mariscal Sucre and 15-20 mins to the historic area of Quito. The house is beautiful, well maintained and the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in, Rosario comes in for 4 hours each day (except Sundays) and makes sure everything is spotless. One morning, I dropped a tube of chap stick and it rolled under the bed where I couldn't reach it so I figured it was gone, but when I came home from school, it was on my night stand, lol. The kitchen is well equipped, the patio is beautiful with a great view of Quito and Cotacachi volcano on clear days. Lugiania gives you a lot of info on the area and how to get around. The area was safe enough that I would walk the 6 blocks from another students residence at 11:00 at night and not feel nervous (as I said, it's a family neighbourhood). There's lots of shops and restaurants in the immediate area. The only downside is there's no internet connection but there are 3 internet places within a 2 block area that charge about 1 cent/min. Lugiania was working on getting wifi at the time I was there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank terrilain
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We booked the suite for 3 days and extended it. The house is in a lovely quite neighbourhood although it is easy to get around via bus or taxi. The suite was so peaceful and we slept well which is a rarity in our 11 months of travelling. Luigiania our host was so helpful and friendly. Allowing us to use her phone to call our friend based in Quito and talking to our bus company re our departure time. I also loved her three crazy dogs! We will stay again next time we are in Quito.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emma-jane79
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This is a beautiful house in a very quiet neighbourhood.
It is secure, with front door locks and locked gates.

The house is HUGE and beautiful and the cleaner comes in every day from Monday to Friday.
She will clean all of the house. The only thing you need to do is clean up after yourself in the kitchen.

There is a large fridge and separate food storage cupboards for each room.

The neighbourhood felt safe to me (solo female traveller) but I did not take risks. I would walk to and from the internet café at about 7pm, but no later than that.

There are food shops and places to eat close by, but you are far from the centre of the city.
I stayed here for a week, for the luxury of the place, but then moved into the centre for my second week as I did not feel safe on the public transport, and I wanted to experience the city.

Luigina (the owner of the house) will give you information on EXACTLY which taxis are legal and safe to get in Quito - ESSENTIAL information, especially when getting from the airport.
PLEASE TAKE HER INSTRUCTIONS SERIOUSLY as Quito has a very high crime rate.

If you are looking for a quiet, clean and comfortable place to stay, this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MagicDawn
Denman Island, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Casapaxi is not just a room for the night-it is your private house! There is a wonderful sunken living room, dining room, kitchen for guest's use and outdoor patio overlooking the city.
The owner Luigina has been running this house for over 20 years & she is an exceptional host, very knowledgeable about Quito & Ecuador. She has a maid come in daily who will make your bed, iron towels(!) and do a quite thorough clean. I speak Spanish so it was easy to ask people which of the nearby buses to take to the various areas and the taxis are very inexpensive so it is very easy to get around. The location is just above the popular Mariscal region and is extremely quiet. There is no Wi-Fi but there are 2 places a block away that charge .75 cents per hour (!) so that was not a hardship.
It is one of the reviews one almost does not want to write so that there will be availability for my next stay!

• Stayed March 2013