“Definitely a MUST Try While in Quito!”
Review of Hacienda Rumiloma

Hacienda Rumiloma
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Quito
Atlanta, GA
“Definitely a MUST Try While in Quito!”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

This was THE BEST restaurant in Quito, and probably one of the best restaurants that I’ve ever dined at. My boyfriend and I ate at this restaurant during our last night in Quito. Unfortunately, we had less than two hours to enjoy our dinner as we were rushing to catch a late night flight. It took us about 30 minutes to hail a taxi driver that roughly knew about where the hacienda was located. I’m glad I had both the address and a map (from their website), because it was still a bit difficult for the taxi driver to find.

I contacted the restaurant in advance to make reservations, and I informed them that we would have all of our luggage with us since we would be leaving the restaurant to go to the airport. Upon arrival to the hotel we were promptly greeted and our luggage was retrieved from the taxi and stored in a locked area. The hacienda is truly beautiful – gorgeously decorated and amazing views of Quito. The waiter even let us wander around and take pictures while our dinner was being prepared.

Now, on to the food… My boyfriend had the Salmon Andino (Fresh Salmon) and I had the Corvina and Mariscos (Sea Bass and Seafood). I can’t emphasize enough how AWESOME the food tasted. Everything was fresh, wonderfully seasoned, and prepared to perfection. The portions were generous and everything was reasonably priced. I wish I had had enough room for dessert, but since I gobbled my entire entrée up, I was literally stuffed.

The staff was so accommodating, attentive, and professional during our entire visit. In fact, after our dinner my boyfriend and I were informed that our taxi had arrived to take us to the airport, but by the time we walked outside, the staff of Rumiloma had already loaded up the taxi with our luggage. That’s definitely top notch service!

I’ll definitely return to Rumiloma when I go back to Quito, and next time around I hope I can actually book an overnight stay at the hacienda!

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QTPyePop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Hacienda Rumiloma offers a peaceful and stylish getaway in Quito proper, yet it feels like you are in the countryside. Originally, we hoped to stay in Old Town in a renovated colonial property, but through our research learned that many such accommodations tend to be on the noisy side, with dark bedrooms and dated décor. We found Hacienda Rumiloma through TripAdvisor reviews, and were very glad we stayed there. The décor is exquisite – rustic Ecuadorian chic. The owners furnished the casitas (guest houses) with a unique style unlike any other in Quito. They worked with Ecuadorian artisans to design quilts, tiling, bathroom fixtures - even the old-fashioned locks on the doors - that had elements of traditional Ecuadorian styling. Combined with tasteful Ecuadorian art and antiques, comfy mattresses, and wood stoves, the casitas are very welcoming after a full day walking touring or hiking. I had one of my best nights of sleep in a long time!

The common areas in the main building are also well appointed. The styling varies but flows from room to room, such as the medieval inspired dining nook to the cozy Irish-Ecuadorean pub to a cheerful sunroom incorporating McKenzie Childs’ furnishings. The property is truly worthy of an Elle Décor photo shoot.

The service was excellent, and breakfast wonderful – house-made berry juices (blackberry was our favorite), scrumptious fruit salad and pastries, and an entrée cooked to order.

What I loved:
- The peace and quiet
- Luxurious and unique yet comfortable décor
- Hot water bottles in bed
- Indoor and outdoor rooms with views of Quito and Volcano Pichincha
- Hiking out the back door

A few things to know
- Built into a hill, the terracing adds to the charm but the stairs could be a challenge for some
- I don’t believe the casitas have a television; that did not matter to us, but could to some
- Breakfast is included
- Complimentary wireless internet in the common areas, somewhat spotty in casitas
- Cab rides were $5, 10 minutes to Old Town or Mariscal, the part of town with the best restaurants
- It seemed like sheets were air dried - we like the eco-sense of this, but realize that others prefer dryer dried with softener

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank traveler01262
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Stayed at the HaciendaRumiloma for 5 days, and had some half day cooking classes with Chef Anita and staff. First of all, the Hacienda is a lovely property, with large comfortable suites( individual fireplaces with hot water bottles delivered to the foot of your bed each night!!), llamas roaming the property, spectacular views. My husband and I got a much-needed rest...but we also enjoyed the culinary experience. Each day, we worked with Chef Anita to create a luncheon menu( locro, ceviche, pescado encocado, for example) and then we got to enjoy it! Trips to the local markets helped to round out our understanding of the cuisine. This trip was a perfect mix of relaxation and activity.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2011

This was suggested by our travel agent in the UK as a place to stay for our final night in Ecuador at the end of a three week trip. It was bliss! The restaurant food was outstanding, the bar quirky, and welcoming, and the room..........well! A two storey extravaganza of wonder with so many artifacts and delights that we could have spent our whole stay there and not come out at all. The service was outstanding and we only wish that we could have spent more time her to explore the grounds. This really is a lovely place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
laree5, Owner at Hacienda Rumiloma, responded to this review, 13 March 2011
Hello,
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you so very much for your kind words! It means alot to the Rumiloma family that you enjoyed the results of the many years of effort which resulted in our little Andean oasis.
As a small famiy business, we rely almost entirely on word of mouth for advertising- Your words here are greatly appreciated.
I do hope that on your next trip you might find the time to spend a few more days with us...
Wishing you and yours all the best from Quito, and thank you again for taking the time to write!!

Amber de Freire
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We stayed here before going into the Amazon with friends and kids. The rooms are so incredibly decorated and cozy. Wood burning stoves are lit for you before you get back. They were incredibly helpful in organizing excursions that were age and experience appropriate. Fully recommend this hotel and restaurant
This was our second trip here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank tgrunwald
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 25 August 2010

A beautiful hotel overlooking the Ecuadorian capitol city of Quito. Located in a beautiful setting with mountain views in the daytime and the sparkling lights of Quito below you at night. The service was great and the food was the best I had having stayed at several haciendas in Ecuador. However, what really sets Rumiloma apart was the way all the rooms were furnished and decorated. I have stayed at many top level hotels and while all of them probably deserved the 4 or 5 stars, they all had a sterile same as the other hotel feel. At Rumiloma I felt more like I was visiting a good friend who was putting me up in their guest house. There was an instant feel of warmth that made you forget you were staying at a hotel. No two rooms were alike in design or furnishings. A wonderful place to relax or as a base to explore the area in and around Quito. I hope I have the opportunity to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Our family, together with three other families w children, stayed at the Rumiloma after our adrenaline-filled week in the Galapagos. We were all booked in big name hotels but friends (who stayed there a week before) were able to convince us to move. When we drove up the driveway that evening, met Amber, saw our rooms and had our first drink in front of her fireplace, we knew we made the right decision. The welcome was so cozy and warm - as was the place! We were in a wonderfully decorated hacienda with first class food and wonderful people! And to think that this is all only 15 minutes away from the center of town. The kids were equally delighted with outdoor space, the big split-level rooms and the friendliness of the staff. The following morning, we woke up to squeals of excitement from our 9-year old: "Mom, Dad, there's a llama on our doorstep!". And the surprises wouldn't end. We loved the little details like the pre-breakfast tray (hot chocolate, coffee, muffins) brought to your room before you hit the breakfast buffet --- served with a warm 'Buenas Dias' and meant to wake you up with a smile. The cuisine, rooms, grounds, staff were top class, all orchestrated to perfection by the hostess-with-the-mostest, Amber de Freire. She definitely goes above and beyond to give you and your family that her fantastic version of a memorable and unique Quito experience.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
El Crater Hotel
Casa Gangotena
Casa Gangotena
#1 of 110 in Quito
Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel

Been to Hacienda Rumiloma? Share your experiences!