“Introduction to Ecuador”

Hacienda Rumiloma
Ranked #39 of 111 Hotels in Quito
“Introduction to Ecuador”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I visited Quito for four days prior to spending a week in the Galapagos. Researching tripadvisor led us to Rumiloma, which turned out to be a highlight of our trip to Ecuador. We flew in at 10:30 pm and were at the hotel within one hour of arrival! Rumiloma, located in a valley overlooking Quito, allows one to be in the city center within 10 minutes. Amber, the owner/operator, was invaluable in helping us plan and arrange day trips with a great guide. The hotel is stunning and gives one a feeling of being in a rural mountain setting. The rooms are architecturally unique, all have great views, and are beautifully decorated. The hot chocolate, served in your room in the late afternoon, in front of a wood stove, is a really nice touch. The full breakfast was great and was served in a room filled with interesting antiques looking over the city. When you walk out of your room in the morning you are greeted by peacocks and llamas! I can not say enough about the staff! Rumiloma truly defines a great boutique hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I just stayed at Rumiloma to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was the most wonderful experience. The Hacienda is set at the top of a mountain with the most amazing view of Quito and surrounding mountains/trees. From the moment we arrived we received personalized attention in every single detail. Our room was decorated with rose petals and several flower arrangements throughout. There was fresh fruit upon our arrival as well as a warm fire in the fireplace. All rooms are different and unique in their own way, with exceptional views of the mountains and of Quito. Decoration throughout Hacienda Rumiloma is antique, with lots of wood and beautiful light fixtures. At the restaurant all tables have a window view and our evening dinner was exceptionally decorated with candles and rose petals as well. Marco was the chief waiter in charge and ensuring that our evening was well personalized as well as private. We had breakfast in our room and before it arrived a nice carafe with warm coffee and bread started off our morning. As we were checking out, the owner (Amber) visited with us to ensure the stay was pleasant. Indeed it was and it was nice to be approached by the owner for personal attention. In addition, Carol, the manager, led us on a personal tour of Hacienda Rumiloma, which included the restaurant area and the other rooms. She was descriptive and detailed. This is a wonderful hacienda which we will visit again and again. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graciela H
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perched on a hillside between downtown Quito and heaven lies Hacienda Rumiloma. Our family of 4 spent an incredible 4 days there prior to a Galapagos trip. We were definitely not disappointed. Our flight arrived in the late evening and it was close to midnight when we arrived at Rumiloma. We were warmly greeted on our arrival and escorted to our rooms, encountering llamas on our way, where a warm fire was burning in the fireplace, fresh fruit was available in the lovely sitting room and fresh baked cookies were at the bedside. The following morning a delicious breakfast was delivered to our room and beautiful peacocks were outside our door! The grounds of Rumiloma are impressive and we actually spent a day just walking around them, admiring the incredible views of Quito below. The rooms themselves are simply fantastic - spacious, well maintained and uniquely decorated with a variety of artifacts from around the world and original artwork. Even the commodes are hand painted with artwork!
The meals at Rumiloma are excellent. A large breakfast, offering a variety of choices including fresh omelets, is included with the room. The dinners are fantastic, well presented and delicious. The restaurant is actually a popular destination for locals to dine as well, which to me, confirms it's reputation as a high quality dining destination.
The best part of our experience, however, was the staff. Incredibly warm, friendly and attentive to our every need, they are truly interested in their guests. They will arrange private tours, not only of Quito but also of surrounding attractions. Amber's, the owner, motto is that if "you can think of it they will make it happen." The entire staff truly made our stay feel like we were at home. For those who truly want to have a memorable experience a short distance from Quito, Hacienda Rumiloma is the obvious choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chas19552014
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hacienda Rumiloma is spectacular!! You are above the whole city of Quito, so the views from your rooms are unbelievable day or night. The staff are friendly and helpful. I think I ordered everything on the menu during my 5 day stay and was never disappointed. If I would have stayed longer I would have returned home with an extra 50 pounds. Thank goodness for all the hiking. Hacienda Rumiloma is a must see!! I highly recommend. This is a place you could go by yourself to relax and feel comfortable and safe or with your whole family.

Room Tip: Whatever room they have available, I was lucky enough to get a tour of the different rooms. Excuse m...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I fell in love with Rumiloma instantly! I stayed the first night in Quito's old town and then went on to spend 3 nights at Rumiloma. It was an amazing terrace overlooking the mountains and Quito from a distance. The most beautiful time of day is sunset when the lights of Quito start to flicker.

See my photos. The mountain forest surrounding Rumiloma is lush and full of life. There are lamas and peacocks roaming the grounds. The staff is very attentive and smiles with their eyes. (All Ecuadorians smile with their eyes. This country is full of warm souls.) The restaurant has fantastic ceviche and other great dishes as well. There is an Ecuadorian mother that guides the kitchen staff with her family recipes.

Loved my room. It was a suite and they will bring whatever you need promptly. I preferred to eat my breakfast, drink wine, and just hang on my terrace in general rather than spend time in the main house where the restaurant exists. There were local wedding celebrations that were interesting to witness, but I was still able to have my privacy and peace. My terrace was equipped with a heater and they provided a snuggy to keep warm while enjoying the views. I also had beautiful roses in every room of my suite and a roaring fire was prepared each evening in my den.

I would only stay here if ever in Quito again.

There are a few negatives that I should note. These items aren't deal breakers for me, but a light sleeper may not appreciate the loud plumbing noises at night. There is a loud banging sound that comes repeatedly from the bathroom pipes all night, all morning.

I'd also suggest to management to consider a spa or contracting a masseuse. This is the type of environment and price point that would be beneficial to both Rumiloma and guest. I don't have much time for massages in my regular work week, so having that luxury while staying here would've been great.

Other reviewers mentioned the dodgy neighborhood that you must travel to get here and the steep mountain road that the cabs can barely navigate. I'd like to address both of these by saying these folks must not get out much. The neighborhood is a working class Latin American neighborhood. Full of kids, families, middle class. I wouldn't suggest taking a walk by yourself at midnight, but I didn't feel concerned or threatened at any time. (Again, lots of warm, welcoming faces.) Also, I was taken by cab multiple times during down pours with no issue navigating the terrain. I even walked up in drizzle one afternoon. You are not so close to a steep ledge that you feel concerned and I have a healthy fear of heights. I was relieved on these two points.

Come to Quito. It's a beautiful city that deserves it World Heritage site status. The architecture, people, and food are rich in diversity. The shrimp is out of this World delicious and those Andes just keep drawing me to South America. Stay at Rumiloma when you come to Quito. You'll feel a more intimate touch of Quito.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelBears
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights between trips to the Amazon and Galapagos. We had such a friendly warm welcome. Rumiloma was the perfect place for some R n R between 2 busy wildlife watching trips. The views were stunning from our suite, with a welcoming log burner, and home baked cookies daily! Breakfasts were stunning! Freshly made to order, and vast so we never needed lunch. They made a special treat for our final night, since it was our honeymoon, we had our own private dining experience. Amber, the owner, was full of of suggestions of places to go, and would tailor make trips if you wanted to travel further afield, and helped agree prices with taxis, as some can stretch prices for unwitting tourists. The hotel was so full of character, without a doubt, the best we stayed in on our 7 week trip of South America, for luxury, service, and food quality. If you want a treat on your visit to Quito, stay at Rumiloma!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I simply wouldn't go to Quito unless I could stay at Rumiloma. The experience and our time with Amber the proprietor and her staff made our trip. The vistas from the room and restaurant are breathtaking, the rooms incredible with beautiful antiques, and the service impeccable. Can't say enough great things about this place, and looking forward to their next venture and my next visit.

Room Tip: cathedral room is amazing
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends