“Great views and breakfast but inconsistent service ”
Review of Hacienda Rumiloma

Hacienda Rumiloma
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

What's positive about Rumiloma?
Friendly staff who speak good English. This is a plus point but also an area of improvement. More of that later.
Superb breakfast and meals with fruit basket in room. I will always remember Rumiloma as the one hotel where great breakfast is served. The staff gives you a form and you tick off the items you want. And these range from blackberry juice, chocolate, coffee or tea, oatmeal, pancakes (with bananas), scrambled eggs or omelette, etc. On my last morning and with an early departure to deal with, I was served breakfast at 3:30am in my room! If there is one team that is the flag carrier in this place, the kitchen carries it off. Well done, team !
Scenic location.  If you get a room towards the east, you get a scenic view of the mountains and the city of Quito. Else you can go to the restaurant to enjoy the view. I think I need not say more, as this point is well covered by the other posts.

What could be improved?
Insensitive handling. Examples: (a) Welcome was half hearted - made to fill up the guest registration form, fire was not lighted up in room. On the latter, there was also no electric heating. I was to spend the first night frigid and cold; having reached the hotel at midnight. While the staff did make an offer but to me, it was light hearted. Either the fire was lighted beforehand or immediately upon bringing me to the room. At midnight and with the kind of cold mountain temperature in early June, do I have to request for a heater or fireplace? How ridiculous. On the 2nd morning, the same staff enquired and again offered me the electric heater by the end of day. This time I clearly said yes. The electric heater never show up by the time I left the hotel four nights later. (c) On my third morning, they had to leave a sour taste by taking away my usual place at breakfast at the solarium; a nice private corner with a view of the city and the mountains beyond. While there was no explanation, it appeared that a group of five had taken precedence over me. I noticed that by the time I left, the group had not turned up.
The staff are clearly articulate and are well trained to respond with the right assurances and nuances. But at crucial times where they are needed to perform without being asked by the guest, this is where Rumiloma failed to deliver. And this is where Rumiloma is just a reasonable hotel (perhaps above average at best) and do not deserve the 'Excellent' rating that they are known for.  Perhaps I was just plain unlucky but clearly, the service needs to be a bit more consistent.
Exorbitant excursions. Mindo day trip quickly became USD366 to look at a smallish greenhouse with butterflies and a tiny cocoa plantation and two hours away. No one had prepared me that what I was about to visit was not wild butterflies in a cloud forest but a greenhouse! If it is greenhouses, we have plenty of these in Asia and there is no need to go half way round the world.
A half day city tour came up to be USD214 for a walk with little explanation.
Yes, it is true that I was alone but I still failed to see how the trips can cost so much to start with to see so little and with a guide that is just a little better (barely) than a driver. A case of blatant overcharging. My advice is to find other means of engaging a tour elsewhere if you could.
Bits and pieces that do not measure up.  Creaking sounds can be heard throughout the night (and possibly the day as well) and I was not pre-warned. While I am not the type that is easily put off by weird sounds, I think I will be better off mentally at 1am sitting on the throne and suddenly hearing such sounds in the dead of the night that appears to be coming right above my head! The light sleeper will be woken up, while the paranoid will wonder if the building is in any danger of coming apart and the fearful will be frightened if these are the calls of the inhabitants of the night. The noises appeared to increase with each night; probably with the increasing cooler weather. [For the record: When I mentioned this to Amber after the second night, she did offer to change the room. But like any guest, once you are settled in, there is a reluctance to transfer to another room. Amber appeared unaware of the location of the noise. To me, it is always above the throne.]
Hot shower temperature keeps changing. Even at max, the water can turned cold. Imagine you are in the middle of a shower and only cold water is raining on you. And the room is cold. My hand has to keep turning the handle to adjust the temperature. This happens from the second day onwards and worse in the early hours.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank IamQingfa
There are newer reviews for Hacienda Rumiloma

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Rumiloma is perched on the mountainside and our room (Montana) is up three flights of steps. We were winded when we got to the door. The architecture is magnificent. Stone walls with post and beam accented with multiple levels joined by rustic stairs made of split logs. Amber deFreire, the owner, has scoured the world for antique and unique artifacts that surround us. Our bedroom is huge with a skylight over the far end from which we can see the mountains that surround us. There are peacocks and llamas roaming the grounds.

We had a delicious meal the first night and settled in exhausted from the activities on the river boat. During the night there were flashes of lightning and an unusual shadow (or so we thought) on the skylight. As morning dawned we recognized the “shadow” as the peacock who had rested all night in the warmth of the roof. Our wood stove and the portable electric heaters kept us snuggy. Breakfast was wonderful with granola and eggs. However Anne’s appetite seemed to be waning and her ability to breathe was impaired by the altitude of 10,500 feet. The staff were wonderful and immediately “prescribed” coca tea (as in the leaves from which cocaine is made!) which they packed into a thermos and sent us up to our room to rest. Our lunch that day was made up from the steak that Tom could not finish from last night and Anne’s salmon was made into a salad. Again, the staff was so accommodating to our needs and understanding of our problems with the altitude. They stoked up our fire by bringing in a pan of hot blazing logs and deposited them in the wood stove!

After our second night we decided that the altitude was just too much to endure and we came up with a “plan B” to see if we could go down to the relatively lower elevation (8,500 ft) of Quito at the Swissotel where we had a reservation for Saturday already. We had already set up a mini tour of Quito and would be down there around 10AM, so this seemed a good way to “kill two birds with one stone.” Our plan worked and Anne was given a shot of oxygen (breathing from a tank with a mask) after breakfast while the staff again paid perfect attention to our needs. They arranged the reservation, got our guide for the tour to take us to the hotel first, see that we were checked in and then off to look at “old town” and the magnificent churches.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TBBXRR
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I visited Quito for four days prior to spending a week in the Galapagos. Researching tripadvisor led us to Rumiloma, which turned out to be a highlight of our trip to Ecuador. We flew in at 10:30 pm and were at the hotel within one hour of arrival! Rumiloma, located in a valley overlooking Quito, allows one to be in the city center within 10 minutes. Amber, the owner/operator, was invaluable in helping us plan and arrange day trips with a great guide. The hotel is stunning and gives one a feeling of being in a rural mountain setting. The rooms are architecturally unique, all have great views, and are beautifully decorated. The hot chocolate, served in your room in the late afternoon, in front of a wood stove, is a really nice touch. The full breakfast was great and was served in a room filled with interesting antiques looking over the city. When you walk out of your room in the morning you are greeted by peacocks and llamas! I can not say enough about the staff! Rumiloma truly defines a great boutique hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I just stayed at Rumiloma to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was the most wonderful experience. The Hacienda is set at the top of a mountain with the most amazing view of Quito and surrounding mountains/trees. From the moment we arrived we received personalized attention in every single detail. Our room was decorated with rose petals and several flower arrangements throughout. There was fresh fruit upon our arrival as well as a warm fire in the fireplace. All rooms are different and unique in their own way, with exceptional views of the mountains and of Quito. Decoration throughout Hacienda Rumiloma is antique, with lots of wood and beautiful light fixtures. At the restaurant all tables have a window view and our evening dinner was exceptionally decorated with candles and rose petals as well. Marco was the chief waiter in charge and ensuring that our evening was well personalized as well as private. We had breakfast in our room and before it arrived a nice carafe with warm coffee and bread started off our morning. As we were checking out, the owner (Amber) visited with us to ensure the stay was pleasant. Indeed it was and it was nice to be approached by the owner for personal attention. In addition, Carol, the manager, led us on a personal tour of Hacienda Rumiloma, which included the restaurant area and the other rooms. She was descriptive and detailed. This is a wonderful hacienda which we will visit again and again. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graciela H
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perched on a hillside between downtown Quito and heaven lies Hacienda Rumiloma. Our family of 4 spent an incredible 4 days there prior to a Galapagos trip. We were definitely not disappointed. Our flight arrived in the late evening and it was close to midnight when we arrived at Rumiloma. We were warmly greeted on our arrival and escorted to our rooms, encountering llamas on our way, where a warm fire was burning in the fireplace, fresh fruit was available in the lovely sitting room and fresh baked cookies were at the bedside. The following morning a delicious breakfast was delivered to our room and beautiful peacocks were outside our door! The grounds of Rumiloma are impressive and we actually spent a day just walking around them, admiring the incredible views of Quito below. The rooms themselves are simply fantastic - spacious, well maintained and uniquely decorated with a variety of artifacts from around the world and original artwork. Even the commodes are hand painted with artwork!
The meals at Rumiloma are excellent. A large breakfast, offering a variety of choices including fresh omelets, is included with the room. The dinners are fantastic, well presented and delicious. The restaurant is actually a popular destination for locals to dine as well, which to me, confirms it's reputation as a high quality dining destination.
The best part of our experience, however, was the staff. Incredibly warm, friendly and attentive to our every need, they are truly interested in their guests. They will arrange private tours, not only of Quito but also of surrounding attractions. Amber's, the owner, motto is that if "you can think of it they will make it happen." The entire staff truly made our stay feel like we were at home. For those who truly want to have a memorable experience a short distance from Quito, Hacienda Rumiloma is the obvious choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank chas19552014
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hacienda Rumiloma is spectacular!! You are above the whole city of Quito, so the views from your rooms are unbelievable day or night. The staff are friendly and helpful. I think I ordered everything on the menu during my 5 day stay and was never disappointed. If I would have stayed longer I would have returned home with an extra 50 pounds. Thank goodness for all the hiking. Hacienda Rumiloma is a must see!! I highly recommend. This is a place you could go by yourself to relax and feel comfortable and safe or with your whole family.

Room Tip: Whatever room they have available, I was lucky enough to get a tour of the different rooms. Excuse m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I fell in love with Rumiloma instantly! I stayed the first night in Quito's old town and then went on to spend 3 nights at Rumiloma. It was an amazing terrace overlooking the mountains and Quito from a distance. The most beautiful time of day is sunset when the lights of Quito start to flicker.

See my photos. The mountain forest surrounding Rumiloma is lush and full of life. There are lamas and peacocks roaming the grounds. The staff is very attentive and smiles with their eyes. (All Ecuadorians smile with their eyes. This country is full of warm souls.) The restaurant has fantastic ceviche and other great dishes as well. There is an Ecuadorian mother that guides the kitchen staff with her family recipes.

Loved my room. It was a suite and they will bring whatever you need promptly. I preferred to eat my breakfast, drink wine, and just hang on my terrace in general rather than spend time in the main house where the restaurant exists. There were local wedding celebrations that were interesting to witness, but I was still able to have my privacy and peace. My terrace was equipped with a heater and they provided a snuggy to keep warm while enjoying the views. I also had beautiful roses in every room of my suite and a roaring fire was prepared each evening in my den.

I would only stay here if ever in Quito again.

There are a few negatives that I should note. These items aren't deal breakers for me, but a light sleeper may not appreciate the loud plumbing noises at night. There is a loud banging sound that comes repeatedly from the bathroom pipes all night, all morning.

I'd also suggest to management to consider a spa or contracting a masseuse. This is the type of environment and price point that would be beneficial to both Rumiloma and guest. I don't have much time for massages in my regular work week, so having that luxury while staying here would've been great.

Other reviewers mentioned the dodgy neighborhood that you must travel to get here and the steep mountain road that the cabs can barely navigate. I'd like to address both of these by saying these folks must not get out much. The neighborhood is a working class Latin American neighborhood. Full of kids, families, middle class. I wouldn't suggest taking a walk by yourself at midnight, but I didn't feel concerned or threatened at any time. (Again, lots of warm, welcoming faces.) Also, I was taken by cab multiple times during down pours with no issue navigating the terrain. I even walked up in drizzle one afternoon. You are not so close to a steep ledge that you feel concerned and I have a healthy fear of heights. I was relieved on these two points.

Come to Quito. It's a beautiful city that deserves it World Heritage site status. The architecture, people, and food are rich in diversity. The shrimp is out of this World delicious and those Andes just keep drawing me to South America. Stay at Rumiloma when you come to Quito. You'll feel a more intimate touch of Quito.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple