“anything but magical ... the worst Chinese food”
Review of Magico Oriental

Magico Oriental
Ranked #396 of 1,432 Restaurants in Quito
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Francisco, California
“anything but magical ... the worst Chinese food”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Calling Magico Oriental a Chinese restaurant is like saying Pizza Hut is an Italian restaurant. It's by far one of the worst food, Chinese or otherwise, I've had in Ecuador!

The so-called Szechuan sauce reminded me of the mystery sauces that I used to get at a fast food joints in the burbs; the chicken dish was so bland that I had to add tons of hot sauce to be edible, and the bok choy dish didn't consist of Chinese cabbage!!! The meal was an absolute disaster!

Even worse was the service, which was absolutely appalling! The waiter actually gave me a chipped glass with a piece of glass floating in the water. Then, when I asked for another glass, without so much as an apology, he handed me a new one.

To add insult to injury, our meal consisting of merely 2 main dishes and a vegetable side came out to $60!

Next day, while visiting the Quicentro mall, we noticed that there was a Magico Oriental stand at the food court. The food there actually looked better, and the price was 1/3 of what we'd paid at the restaurant. If I'm ever in the mood for Chinese food again, I'll be heading to the mall.

• Visited July 2013

Quito, Ecuador
“One of the Classics for Chinesse”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

One of the Classics for Chinesse food, they have a chain of restaurants and you should try "Chancho agridulce"

Quito, Ecuador
“World Class Chinese in Quito?”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Yes, Quito has a really great Chinese restaurant. The quality and authenticity of the food at Magico Oriental shockingly good. The Shanghainese and Szechuan dishes here are especially amazing. Be sure to ask for the Chinese menu. I like spicey, so I usually get the spicey dried chicken and mapo tofu plates.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Katherine S
Doha, Qatar
“The best Chinese restaurant in Ecuador!”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Even the menu is a bit pricey but with the quality of the service and the food served it has become the restaurant I visited most frequently during my 6 months stay in Quito. They actually have two menus - ask for the menu with mandarin and spanish where they have real authentic Chinese food which is on par with any other Chinese restaurant in the world!

• Visited January 2011
3 Thank JacqueFoo
Quito
“Great decor but food priced at Owner's Whim”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I work for a Chinese Multinational company. We go to this place quite often due to business meetings and clients. The food is good for Chinese food, as far as diversity of dishes and taste, service is quite reliable, they have professional waiters. The only problem I have is with prices, the owner's are very stingy and sometimes they even charge based on emotions since we don't order from the menu but tell them to just prepare us dishes. Honestly there are times where there are no variations in dishes and they would charge more one day than another.
One other time because they messed up our order they took the small appetizers, which in Chinese customs is usually free, especially for us big customers who are always bringing business to their restaurant. Besides in terms of cost it's very marginal what these small dishes would cost. What was worst is that they did this in front of some diplomatic officers we were engaging.

Beware of prices