“Excellent Day”

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Excellent Day”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've only been on a horse twice in my life, and I'm not sure why I wanted to do this day trip, but I did it and have no regrets! It was a lot of fun. Astrid paired me with a horse that was fairly 'relaxed' and I wasn't nervous at all. My husband and I were the only 2 people that booked for the day, so we got lots of attention and felt very comfortable. The area is beautiful and it was great to get out of Quito for a day and see the countryside in a different way. I'd highly recommend it.

1 Thank SBJEinToronto
Greenhorseranch, Propietario at Green Horse Ranch, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you so much, Susan, great you enjoyed your ride with us! Sunny Equator-greetings to Canada! Astrid

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Trefoil Trail”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Amazing three, full days on horseback with Astrid. Great care taken in assessing skills of rider to make sure horse is right. Superb planned route through the Cloud Forrest on tracks seldom used - with coffee beans and orchids growing, dripping with velvet ferns, stunning scenery and views. Hacienda where the overnight stays were was excellent - great food. All in all a great experience to remember for life. Such friendly and helpful staff at the ranch - Astrid was great!

Highly recommend.

Visited February 2014
Dear Liz, now that I finally found out how to reply to comments on Tripadvisor, I want to complement my e-mail by saying "thank you" in this place as well. - Reading your description makes me realize again, how lucky I am to do what I'm doing. Enjoying these admireable horses and amazing scenery all the time. And most of all meeting such great, interesting, inspiring people like yourself from all over world. Really greatful! Thanks again.
Quito, Ecuador
“Perfect Day in Pululahua”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I took a full-day trip today with Astrid, a volunteer, and another tourist. Amazing day. Astrid gave great care to giving us the horses appropriate for our levels, and she also showed us all the basics of riding -- how to trot, how to canter, how to sit normally. Meanwhile, we were descending through some of the most breathtaking, verdant landscape I've ever seen, passing through the clouds along mountain ridges, down through the farmlands on dirt roads and narrow paths. Excellent lunches, attention to the flora and fauna around us, even a glimpse of pre-Columbian civilization. We realized too late that they also do multi-day trips, and if we had time we definitely would do more than a daytrip.

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Scenic horseback ride off the beaten path of Quito”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I traveled to Ecuador in September; our trip included excursions to the Galápagos, the rain forest, Otavalo, and a brief stay in Quito. I try to incorporate horseback rides into our vacations, and while he is not particularly fond of horses and riding, my boyfriend partakes in these excursions for me. I have more riding experience than he does, but he is very confident and unafraid. He agreed to a 1-day crater ride at Green Horse Ranch, and I was thrilled. We had an excellent day, and I would have loved to spend several days riding with Astrid. She picked us up in town and it ended up just being the two of us paying customers, as another party rescheduled. She selected horses appropriate for us; I rode Atrellu and he rode Galadriel. Atrellu was perfect for me; sure footed, a smooth ride, and just the right amount of sassy. (Astrid had tacked up a more beginner-suitable Horse in case she felt one of us needed him. Once she talked with us and had an idea of our riding abilities she felt the other 2 horses were ok and she was right. They were still very gentle and quiet.) Atrellu was very willing and a joy to ride through the crater. We were allowed to speed up for stretches and I really enjoyed that. Lunch was great, we got some amazing photos, and had refreshments upon our return to the ranch. Astrid delivered us back to Quito and recommended a restaurant in town that we went to that evening (and enjoyed as well). This overall was a very pleasant and memorable day for us in Quito. It was fantastic to see such a unique geographical feature and take in the beauty of the crater on horseback. Photos from our ride made both our annual photo album and our Christmas card!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank speedylee
Auburn, Michigan
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“It wasn't as good as we had hoped.”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We chose Green Horse Ranch for a 1 day horseback ride. Both of us are novice/beginner riders and the horses chosen for us were a good match. The ride from Quito to the ranch was about an hour and Astrid was pleasant to talk to during the drive, however, the last twenty minutes of the drive are on a gravel, bumpy, hilly, curvy road. After the initial awe at being inside the crater the excitement kind of faded as the clouds made it difficult to see much of anything. Our lunch was excellent and the little girl greeting us was adorable. Lunch was a bit awkward when Astrid and another guide carried on a lengthy conversation in German leaving us and the other rider to sit and listen understanding nothing. We both enjoyed seeing the lifestyle of the people who live inside the crater and were amazed at the amount of work it takes to farm small plots of land and the clouds were very cool but Green Horse Ranch just didn't live up to the hipe. One caution should you choose Green Horse Ranch once you confirm your ride if you are delayed for any reason and cannot take the ride you signed up for Astrid will come to your hotel and if the hotel staff allows will call your room and demand payment. We were delayed by a flight cancelation and did contact her the day before but be very clear Green Horse Ranch will hunt you down for payment and that is CLEARLY stated on the reservation form, compassion for unavoidable tardiness is not excepted.

Visited December 2013
We are thankfull for the critical opinions, too, which can help us to improve even more. Nevertheless, it is striking that the few slightly negative reviews we've gotten so far, like this one, have been composed exclusively by riders who sent in a last minute cancellation and then got upset to be asked to pay at least a 50% cancellation fee to cover our expenses and already involved services.
In order to "not pay in vain", they then commonly change their mind and instead of cancelling indeed, still go on the ride. Seemingly, these are the situations when an unpaved road, a multi-lingual guide, cloudy weather or an adventurous riding trail are suddenly converting into a serious problem, while other clients thoroughly enjoy them. It is striking, too, that even these appearingly angry guests are still rating our services "good" or "very good", because they are.

Although sad about the dishonest attitude of this specific client, who has made a point by expressing her enormous thankfulness at the end of the ride, saying to me literally: "This has been the best thing that could have happened to us, you saved our day, we would not have wanted to miss this experience", I'm still thankfull for the comment as such, as it might help future clients to understand that - yes - we do have clear cancellation politics. These are advised as much on our homepage as on our reservation sheet which client's fill out when signing up with us.

Why do we have to do this? We most certainly don't want to annoy our clients, and would abstain from the rule if we could financially do it. Unfortunately, no business can work upon a "maybe yes, maybe no" mode. We have close to 30 wonderfull horses to maintain and are taking their well-being very serious, as much as the service for our clients. When we receive a last minute cancellation, horses are already saddled, food for the riders is bought and prepared, a 4-hours private transport drive has been iniciated, guides and helpers have reserved their day and are on the move, and most of all, the booked spaces have been kept free for the whole time of the existing reservation, making us loose potential further clients.

Thank you so much for your understandig! We're looking forward to each and everyone of you riding with us in the future.