“Overbilled for the room”

Holiday Inn Express Quito
Ranked #21 of 115 Hotels in Quito
In-Town Atlanta
“Overbilled for the room”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a nice hotel, but the experience was marred by us being overbilled for rooms, followed by poor customer service when my husband tried to resolve the matter.

First, let me say that the showers are great and the rooms modern. It was a bit pricey, but we wanted a no-hassle situation as we were visiting the cloud forest and the Galapagos on tight schedules. It seemed a good fit.

The first night, we arrived around midnight and checked into our room. We were being picked up at 6:35 the next morning to go the cloud forest and the gentleman behind the front desk assured us that, although the breakfast technically did not start until 6:30 a.m., there was no need for a box breakfast or restaurant take-out as there would be food available by 6:20 a.m.. At 6:20 no food was available. A little after 6:30, some items were ready, but most wasn't. We grabbed what we could as we ran out the door.

My husband had tried to check out when we got downstairs, but the front desk staff told him that they were busy and could not do it then. In the confusion, he forgot to check out and the staff ran and got my husband off the van as we were trying to leave. The staff informed my husband that the rate was about $40 more than the rate stated in our email confirmation. He did not have time to argue, did not have a print out of the email, and we were returning in a couple of days, so my husband figured he would deal with it then. He paid.

When we returned two days later they let us check in a little early, which was nice. They also provided a free toothbrush and deodorant for one of our kids, so my husband decided to let the earlier overcharge slide.

The next morning we had to leave at 6:00 a.m. to get to the airport in time for our flight. Wouldn't you know it, they overcharged us again! And again, we did not have time to argue, as our cab was waiting. My husband paid and vowed to follow up with the main business unit.

He went on line to file a complaint with Holiday Inn Express, which sent an automatic response saying they would contact him within 48 hours. Four days later, he got an email saying that they could not see our billing, but they had contacted the Quito hotel and my husband should hear within 48 hours. It has been more than three days, and he has heard nothing.

Given the overbilling, the aggravation and the associated poor customer service, I cannot recommend what should be a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
HIEXQuito, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Quito, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We regret that your stay was not what you expected. Regarding your comments I would like to comment the following:

In both reservations you carried 2 people , at check in we explained that the reservation was made for two people and not for 4 people, for helping we allowed 4 people in the same room with a fee of $ 20 for the two additional personal because the maximun capacity in our rooms are two people.

We are very sorry, maybe the information was not clear.

As always the comments for our guest are highly appreciate.

Lorena Suárez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 11 December 2013

It was a nice stay, very easy check-in (even though I arrived at 1 am).

The hotel room has everything you need, the only problem was the outside noise. There was 1 or 2 dogs barking until midnight.

The breakfast was fine and the staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Don't take the rooms that look to the back street.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dea Guest,

Thanks for your time.
You are right, we have the situation of noise.
We went to local authorities so they can help us to solve the problem of the dogs.

I hope this could be solved soon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 26 November 2013

From the front desk check in til when it was time to check out-everything was smooth and friendly. Thanks for arranging transportation. The food was delicious and the coffee was the best I've ever tasted. The hotel, lobby, and rooms are updated and impressive. The free wifi and the views from the gorgeous fitness room was perfect. Thanks for a good time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEXQuito, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Quito, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Is really nice to receive your warm message.
I appreciate your words and is nice to know that our service made your stay more comfortable.
I am going to transfer your words to tne entire staff.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My bandmates and I stayed here last week while on a trip/tour while we gave music masterclasses at a University. The hotel staff were courteous and lovely, my room was spotless, and had all the amenities I needed to make my stay comfortable. Bottled water, comfortable bed, safe in the closet. The place was a delight!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for take few minutes to write this lovely message.
I appreciate your kind words, is nice to receive your notes. This only compromise our staff each day to improve our service and give our best effort for our guests.

Have a great day

cocoa fl
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We were shuttled to the HI Express after our LAN flight out of Quito was "reprogrammed"...We arrived at 5:45 AM after a long delay at the airport and the long bus ride back to town. Although they had not been forewarned, the staff treated us so nicely...accommodated about 30 of us in a timely fashion. The rooms are clean, well equipped with wifi, cable, bottled water. The breakfast is excellent and there are nearby restaurants as well.

While LAN dropped the ball in dealing with the flight delay, the staff at the Holiday Inn went above and beyond to take care of us and keep us informed of further delays and schedule changes.
So a big thumbs down for LAN Airlines and a HUGE thumbs up to this HI...

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out over the city which is nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEXQuito, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Quito, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guest,
We always tried to give the best service.
I appreciate your kind words, is nice to see that our service helps you during your stay.

Today is a cloudy day, but your comment make our day shine.

Lorena Suarez
usersav
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Michelle the front desk manager was so helpful with my booking, a delight.
She helped me so much and is an asset to the holiday Inn
Melisa is also really professional and pleasant
The room is spacious I am here with my son. The free wifi and free breakfast a bonus .
I really can't recommend this Hotel more the staff speak English they are pleasant helpful and accomadating. My check in at midnight was really smooth and the receptionist male forgot to note his name was genuine and warm a lovely surprise after a 20 hour journey .
It's safe it's clean and the staff amazing . I am coming back after Galapodos trip for a further 4 nights . Thank you to the team . I leave tomorrow but look forward to my return

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
HIEXQuito, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Quito, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Is nice to see that our staff help you during your stay.
We are very glad to know that you will come back soon, I am sure that your stay in Galapagos will be wonderfull, is a magic place.

We work every day for our gue

Bend, OR
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Quick and efficient check-in, good-sized room, big and modern bathroom with awesome shower, everything incredibly clean, and the most amazing view from the roof-top gym/exercise area.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Quito, and wanting a clean, quiet, nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your kind words, your comment makes sense of our work. Is nice to know that you like your stay.

Have a great day