Hostal Isla Isabela
US$551
US$504
Official Website
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Are you an eager first-time traveler in Ecuador, hoping to be close to the "action" of the city, meet some other travelers, go out for a night on the town, and get a feel for nightlife? This hostel is NOT for you.

Do you travel regularly in Ecuador (and thus don't need to be in la Mariscal, since you know what that life is about), are just looking for a good place to crash before/after a flight, are are hoping for a warm atmosphere with good service? Are you not necessarily looking for a hippie hostel-scene, just a convenient (albeit rather boring) place to stay? Look no further. I travel regularly in/out of Ecuador, and this is always my stop in Quito. It's in a residential neighborhood-- ie there AREN'T other hostels around, and this hostel is in a converted house. It's in the "Plaza de los Toros" sector in North Quito, about 5 minutes from the airport and 7 minutes in taxi from la Mariscal (where the nightlife is). Easily walkable to the Ecovia line, any of the bus lines that go up/down Avenida Amazonas, and a million taxis on Amazonas. There are plenty of decent restaurants in the area. And the owners are NICE. Francisco will take care of you. Even the night guard will call a taxi, get you extra pillows/towels (which you should definitely request), and let you in/out of the building at all hours without a fuss. Cable TV. I slept decently and return regularly!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank K L
Reviewed 4 July 2012

After missing our flight and not being able to let Fransisco know we were on a later flight, we still got a warm & friendly welcome! One of our party did not make the stand by, we were stressed and tired and it was really late, so it was wonderful to be met by a smiling face even after he had waited 3 hours for us at the airport! The room was nice, the beds were comfy and the bathroom was huge. We had another quick stay on our way back to the states. Fransisco came back from his weekend off a little early so he could meet us at the airport personally! If personal attention to detail is high on your list this is the place for you. Also, if your Spanish is iffy or non-existent, Fransisco is completely fluent in English.

Room Tip: Email the hotel with any requests or questions, Fransisco will get back to you and do whatever he can to accommodate your requests.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brenda H
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Wow!

This is absolutely the WORST place I have ever stayed during my travels in Latin America.

The first thing I noticed was that the room smelled bad. Like old pee. Actually, EVERYTHING smelled bad.

The next thing I experienced was that the walls are so thin that it is like I was trying to sleep in someone else's living room. I could hear the television and the conversations like I was in the same room.

During the night I heard a few planes but that was to be expected. I picked this hostal because I had to be at the airport at 4:30 am so the few planes that passed over weren't a problem.

However, the dogs barking outside during the night reduced my sleep to short naps and I only got about two hours sleep. One large dog was on a terrace about 20' from my window!

Finally, the website for this hostal advertises transportation to the airport is included in the nightly rate. Below is a cut and paste from their website;

"TRANSFERS AND TRANSPORTATION
Since we are so close to the airport, we will gladly pick you up from your international flight and take you there at the moment of departing, at your request, at no cost to you."

So when I go to the airport I was surprised when the taxi driver tried to charge me $6 for a 5 minute ride. Having lived in Quito for 8 months, I have used taxis this early in the morning a few times at I've paid $4 for trips three times a far.

When I called the hotel to ask why the transportation wasn't included as stated on their website, they told me that they did not provide transportation to the airport.

So not only did they not pay for the taxi as stated on their website, they also connected me with a thief of a driver.

Considering all the above, I can only hope my warning helps someone else avoid the problems I had and makes their visit to Quito a pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: Anyplace but here.........
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EC170131
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I stayed at the hostal for one night and arrived at the airport after 1am. It was fantastic to have the guys waiting for us and take us to the hostal. We were quickly shown our room and went to sleep for the night. Left early the next morning to stay elsewhere in Quito.

The two staff who picked us up were the highlight of the stay. The hostal itself is rather drab. Beds were comfy enough, but the room overall felt more like the quality of a roadside motel in the US. Breakfast which is included in the price was not good. Fruit was bruised and milk for the coffee was curdling.

I'd recommend getting a cheaper hostal in Mariscal or Old Town and just paying for the taxi from the airport which is not that expensive ($6-10). We payed $50 for the room for 2 people and just couldn't justify the value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TTapp
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed here 2 nights, once before leaving for the US, and the other, coming back from the US. Both times I managed to unfortunately get in around 2AM and the staff could not have been any more accommodating. Breakfast was delicious and I highly recommend it as it is close to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jetskijo
Francesco T, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hostal Isla Isabela, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2017

Reviewing the old comments and I realize that there are some that for some reason were not answered in time. I want them to know that we like to know what they thought about us in the moment and we want them to be well.
regards