“Lugano Suites are Over-Rated (and over-priced)”
Review of Lugano Hotel

Lugano Hotel
Ranked #52 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 9 May 2012

As a couple we stayed at Lugano Suites during April 2012. It was the most expensive hotel chosen in our 5 weeks through South America and we were influenced by their advertising which states "free transfers from and to the airport - breakfast included".
We were en-route to the Galapagos Islands and this reservation seemed ideal as a preliminary to that travel adventure and influenced further by the Trip Advisor accolades it enjoyed. We duly advised the hotel of our flight number and arrival time. The flight was normal but there was no one there to meet us. We paid the US$10 taxi fare and on arrival at the hotel purposefully said nothing. We enquired after the transit back to the airport the following morning. No, we were leaving too early (0600) - free transits were only provided after 0800. We enquired after the availability of breakfast for early travellers. No......breakfast was only available from 0730, but a packaged breakfast would be available. We were shown to our upper floor room which was impressive with a kitchenette, a small sitting room and the bedroom and bathroom off to the right side. We judged close to 4 star by Western standards, but to our dismay the whole hotel was directly in the flight path of landing aircraft at Quito's main airport. The rest of the evening and well into the night we were confronted by this unwelcome abuse to the senses.
The breakfast arrived in a brown paper bag. A packet of CocoPops equivalent with a tiny Orange Juice and an even tinier apple. Insulting is the description which came to mind. We returned it untouched and complained also about the unmet transit expectations. They offered a refund as compensation but no explanation. I firmly believe that here is an example of a hotel which exists for the managerial convenience of the owners and the travelling public are a necessary but distractive nuisance.

Room Tip: Higher floors are badly affected by aircraft noise.
3  Thank Sadika47

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here primarily as a quick overnight before leaving Quito early the next morning. We wanted a place relatively close to the airport, inexpensive but still decent. What a pleasant surprise! The Lugano Suites was complete with a living room, dining room, kitchen as well as bed and bath. I've lived in New York and it would be considered a nice apartment there! Security was excellent; there was a guard at the door who unlocked it for us and the night manager took care of all of our needs. There are no extensive "hotel services" but for a place to stay, particularly long term, I think it can't be beat for value for the money. You can't go wrong here.

1  Thank soccermomFlorida
Reviewed 12 April 2012

What a great surprise it was for me. It was my first time staying in this hotel, and the accommodations and service were excellent. The rooms are all suites for 3 or 4 people. Very good size room with a queen size bed. In a different area, a comfortable kitchenette, a dining table, and a small living area with a sofa bed for 1 or 2 people. Super clean suites! Location is also very good, one block away from Parque La Carolina and right on a hotel and business area with very good food options. Highly recommended for small families. As Chicago would sing "baby what a big surprise"!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Located in the business district a little further out than we had hoped, but lovely big spacious/clean rooms, free wifi, kitchen and lounge area. Good overall value!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel for only night but I was really impressed with what I saw for the short time I was there. The check in process was easy and the staff very friendly. I had booked a one bedroom but was given a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was very spacious. It had full kitchen and sitting area like a living room with a pull out sofa bed. This suite was very clean and beds comfy. The shower was fantastic! The best water pressure in all the places I stayed while in Ecuador! I would stay here again if I'm ever in Quito. The location is very close to La Carolina park. The main street next to the park is where you can catch the Hop On Hop Off Quito Tour Bus. Stop #2 is right at the end of the hotel's street. Many restaurants close by. Free wifi worked well. The hotel included breakfast in the rate, but I had to leave early for a flight, so I never had the breakfast, so I can not comment on the food. Check out was easy and they even called a cab for me to take me to the airport at 4 a.m. The cost for the taxi was only $5. Recommend completely!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank hawaiiboundToronto
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I always choose this hotel to go with my family, it is comfortable, nice, clean, and have a minimalistic style, it doesn't have a restaurant for meals, only a limited breakfast but not bad, you have a guide of restaurants that deliver food to your suite, you have a variety of options: chinese, japanese, ecuadorian, argentinian, mediterranean,.. And many more. Another issue is that you are close to the "Parque de la Carolina", " Botanical Garden" a must!," Quicentro Shopping" at 10 blocks and "mall del jardin", but the most important thing, they have a good price!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank mdager
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Very nice and spacious rooms centrally located in the business district. Just 20 mins walk to Mariscal area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple