“Could be great, but two big problems”
Review of Hotel Andino

Hotel Andino
Ranked #23 of 252 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I feel a little guilty about writing an average review as I messed this hotel around a bit with dates and they were very accommodating. The hotel could also be great, if it fixed two big and one small problem.

The small problem is that they choose to use a solid air freshener that smells like a urinal cake. It was so strong that I out it outside after one night!

The first big problem is that the door is locked from 6pm and guests need to press a buzzer to get in. This would not be a problem if the buzzer was only heard in the staff area but it is so loud that it sounds as if it is in the bedroom. We stayed Friday- Sunday and were woken on the first two nights several times each night up, with e last guests getting in at around 3:30.

The second big problem is payment. The hotel claims to take Visa but only has a carbon-copy system (as well as charging a 16% surcharge for visa, which was not advertised). Because carbon-copy is not secure, my bank in the UK declined the payment and put a stop on my card. This meant it took over an HOUR to check out as I tried and (because my card had been stopped) failed to get cash from a machine and then the owner and I faffed about with Paypal. It also meant expensive calls back to the UK to get my card re-activated. In my opinion, this hotel should not advertise payment by credit card as it is likely to be declined for the majority of non-ecuadorians.

If this feedback is taken on board and these problems are sorted, this would be a great choice as it has a good location, big, clean rooms and is very good value at $30 (+VAT and service)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank willgo79

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed here for three nights recently, MIguel is indeed a great host - very knowledgable and helpful (with great English). There is a supermarket nearby which is handy if you prefer to stay in and eat (there is a little garden inside the hotel, plus an area with a table where you can read/eat). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 1SoMo
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Miguel and family run a good hotel here. The rooms are clean and most are large with plenty of hot water. The position is excellent for those that dont want Mariscal....it is close to ATM, Supermaxi store, 10 min walk to Mariscal restaurants and travel agents. In a quiet area with a resident taxi man [Marcelo ] living opposite.
Miguel speaks great English and is a mini travel info person to help out with any travel queries you may have. Breakfast is included for the $25 and is the norm of bread, juice and eggs.
Free tea/cafe and WIFI.
I stayed here 3 times totalling 6 days of my 7 weeks visit.

Room Tip: Ask for the front rooms not the below ones at the back as they are smaller
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed at Hotel Andino two nights coming into Quito, and one night on our way back home in the first part of May 2013. We were so thankful to have Miguel and his staff helping us through our first visit to Quito. The rooms were neat and clean, the staff was more than helpful, gracious and kind, and Miguel was absolutely wonderful. He helped us so much with what to see, getting cabs, and navigating our travels. A great place to stay. We would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed here twice during my trip to Ecuador, the rooms I stayed in were very nice and the staff were really helpful and friendly. I felt safe staying here and I would definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This small family run hotel in a former home is the ideal, safe and quiet location to stay in Quito and still be a 10 minute walk or less from Gringolandia nightlife yet with an Italian restaurant directly across the street from it. You are also a 10 minute walk away from the fancy Swiss Hotel and many businesses and shopping. It is a 5 minute walk from the trole as well. The breakfast served is your choice preparation of eggs with fresh bread and jam and juice and tea of your choice. The rooms can be arranged to accomodate more or less people. They will add or subtract twin size beds as needed. The water pressure can be weak to non-existent at times, but the rooms are clean with closet space and private bathrooms which have ample room for storing toiletries. Miguel and his wife are both friendly and helpful. I have stayed here alone and I have brought large groups of students here for multiple day stays. I highly recommend Hotel Andino. There is even a dining room/living area apart from the breakfast room where there is free WiFi.

Room Tip: The single room with a fireplace on the main floor is huge. However, the first floor rooms get the m...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Miguel was beyond helpful for the week that we stayed at Hotel Andino in February. He would spend endless amounts of time discussing our trip and our plans to help us create a schedule. Our room was spotless every day and they went out of their way to make sure our breakfast was ready when we needed it early. We have been in Ecuador for over two months now and my boyfriend and I both agree that this is the best place that we've stayed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple