Review Highlights
Better than we could possibly have expected

With weather threatening to be inclement at best, dreadful at worst, we arrived with trepidation at... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
larsandjessontour
Colombia on horseback

I have just returned from a 10 day trip riding with Sally and her Colombian partners: The riding... read more

Reviewed 20 March 2018
UKRachel
UK

All reviews horseback adventure wild horses cotopaxi national park varied terrain day trip south america saddle haciendas sally picnic beginners canter andes ecuador skills volunteers river
Reviewed 23 October 2016

We had an AMAzing 3 days of horses, scenery, delicious food, and Ecuadorean flora, fauna, and culture with Sally on our Ride Andes trip. WHAT a delight - everything was taken care of impeccably, in the lowest-key, no-fuss, friendly comfortable way possible.

I'm a long-time rider, and my (new - we were on honeymoon!) husband is not at all, and Sally managed the gap better than I could've hoped. Itineraries were flexible and just-right, with breaks and meals when we wanted them. Her horses have real character, and a variety of personalities so they fit us both just right. Her team are warm and helpful, and she's an absolute pro on every element of the trip, from the crops you ride by to culture and politics of Ecuador, to the most responsible, respectful, and sustainable horsemanship.

And getting to ride into and out of magnificently charming haciendas is THE way to arrive - we're already debating what our next Ride Andes itinerary will be!

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 22 October 2016

Stepping out of my life for a minute to spend three months volunteering for Ride Andes was one of the best decisions I ever made! The opportunity to see Ecuador from a different perspective to that of a regular tourist is unparalleled, plus you get to do it all from the back of a beautiful and well-loved horse. Working on a farm is not for everyone but it is so very rewarding when you throw yourself in heart and soul. I highly recommend the volunteer program that Sally runs, it will change you for the better!

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed 16 October 2016

I had a fantastic experience with Ride Andes! Sally and the team really looked after me and the horses were great, all forward going but well behaved so I was able to enjoy the scenery with no stress (Erik and Tostado became favourites!). I started off with a couple of days riding at 'La Finca', and was able to enjoy riding around this area where the horses are based; I particularly loved the ride which went up into the Highlands with views of Cayambe Volcano. After I joined on the Colonial Haciendas Tour. The Haciendas were beautiful and all unique and the food was delicious, including the picnics we carried in our saddlebags - my favourite picnic spot being on the ride towards Cotopaxi National Park, we were fortunate to have a beautiful clear day and so ate with Cotopaxi Volcano as a backdrop. Zooming across the open plains in Cotopaxi National Park with the wild horses was another highlight, as was watching a Condor from horseback!
Would I go back? Of course!

Date of experience: August 2016
SallyRideAndes, Owner at Ride Andes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Thank you so much for posting a review. We have received lots and lots of emails with excellent reviews all year but unfortunately people do not post reviews on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

What a great day! I am a high school teacher and I took a group of students on an educational tour to see people and cultures of Ecuador. Our last day we had free time for an excursion so after a bit of research I booked a day horseback riding trip with Sally Vergette's RideAndes. I was overjoyed with the decision and the experience! Sally was wonderful every step of the way from contacting me right away and getting everything arranged in advance to picking out the very best horses for my students! I have taken many day rides before and this one was by far and away the BEST I have ever experienced! These horses were goodnatured, sure-footed, and totally accommodating to our riders. The kids were not frightened nor did they feel insecure ever! Sally provided ponchos and rain gear, helmets, and a wonderful picnic lunch. The terrain was beautiful and she even offered to take us longer if we wanted. Her staff were professional and experienced and were constantly checking on us to ensure we were enjoying the ride and the experience. Sally learned all the kids' names and even took pictures of our group for us...it was every bit the best way to end our Ecuadorian adventure!

Date of experience: June 2014
4  Thank Tanja D
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My review of Ride Andes is long overdue, but due to a recent negative experience riding in Patagonia, I feel compelled to vouch for a company which is doing such an excellent job. I am a lifelong horse enthusiast, I have ridden for over 20 years and have worked a couple of seasons at guest ranches in Colorado. I travel a lot and try to ride wherever I go. I have spent a lot of time in Latin America and know first hand how difficult it can be to find a reliable outfit which can combine a fun ride for any rider and who also invests in and cares for the animals - Ride Andes masters both. Sally was easy to work with and picked me up as scheduled at the designated meeting point. She is very knowledgeable about the area. She had 2 horses ready for me, I got to give both a little spin and pick the one I liked (Tostado, I believe). That was really neat, it takes some extra effort to saddle that extra horse but it really showed that even though it was a short ride, Sally wanted to make the best horse/rider match possible. We then set out through the countryside and made it up to the Paramo - the high altitude grasslands. The view was amazing! We got to do some nice canters up there. Tostado was lovely and soft to ride, with plenty of energy. It was obvious that her horses are well cared for and loved. Ecuador is stunningly beautiful and is a great place to ride. Overall a wonderful experience, my only regret is that I didn't stay longer!! I hope to be back at some point to do one of the multi-day rides.

Date of experience: December 2013