“A++ rating.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 249 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Edmonton, Canada
“A++ rating.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hostel contributed to one of our best experiences so far on our trip, The owner was kind, considerate, and pointed out numerous things to do within walking distance, as well as advising on which places were best cabbed to due to the questionable nature of the barrios we would have been required to walk through. And their kitchen was absolutly breathtaking. Big, clean, high class stoves and cooking equipment, it was wonderful to cook in. the beds were comfortable, and the view from the top, while not 'to die for' was quite nice, overlooking some of old town and towards the high rises of new town. The location was perfect as well, <10 minutes from the center of old town, and <15minutes from new town walking. the only negative is the lack of lockers to put your valuables in, but other then that, this hostel does everything right.

Room Tip: the 3rd floor has much quieter rooms, as well as a nice breeze through the windows.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErichKamprath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at Revolution Backpapers in May. I want to be as fair as possible when I give this review. The facilities in the hostel were all very good and the beds all very comfortable. And in fairness to the management they let us stay on all day which was much appreciated.

My issue however is not with the facilities but with the management/owners. A group of us (5 in total) arrived at the hostel at 6:30 AM, coming from the bus from Montanita. As we were a group of five we arrived slightly earlier than our two friends in the other taxis.

On arriving at the hostel there was a sign which said the hostel doesn't open until 8 AM. This was not an issue for us, as we decided that we would wait somewhere else, like a coffee shop or something similar. We did not want to wait out in the open. However as we arrived first we had to wait literally two minutes for our friends.

It was at this point that two men approached me one wielding a knife. He demanded my phone off me, while the other man grabbed my hands. They managed to get my phone off me, while still pointing the knife at me. As they were leaving they started slashing the air in front of me with the knife.

At this point, obviously fairly shaken and nervous, and fearful that these men would return, we decided that unfortunately we would be left with no choice but to ring the doorbell and ask for assistance. We were answered by one of the managers or owners, I'm not sure which, who was unhelpful beyond belief.

I was extremely apologetic and explained what happened to us, and asked him would it be ok to store our bags inside. His rudeness was shocking. He said to me that if I was sorry for ringing the doorbell I shouldn't have rang it. Again after apologising to him, he begrudgingly let us leave the bags in the hall, we were refused entry into the hostel until opening time.

A few minutes later, while outside, still extremely shaken, a woman appeared from the window above us and told us that we were making too much noise and that she had had very little sleep last night. Again we told her our situation but she basically told us that it was our own fault for hanging around outside at such an early hour. This would not have been the case had we known that the hostel isn't 24 hour, but this was never communicated to us.

I can completely understand that it was very early and that we had woken her up, but under the circumstances I would have expected some understanding and compassion. I know if I was in their shoes I would have done everything I could too have helped. Maybe this is expecting too much from a place where we we're staying and were paying customers.

Again, I can understand that hostels have rules, which are very important, but considering the circumstances I would have expected some help, even if it was an inconvenience.

I think it is important that people are aware of this because I would hate anyone else to find themselves in our position.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Alan M
HostelRevolution, Owner at Hostel Revolution, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your posting. Here are the facts. We sent you an email outlining our reception hours. One of your group admitted receiving it and one of your friends who was already staying at the hostel informed me the night before that you were aware of our reception hours.

There was no reason for you to come from the bus terminal directly to the hostel at 6:00 knowing that we don’t open until 8 a.m. There was no excuse for pounding on the door, continually ringing the doorbell and awakening guests in an effort to be allowed in early. At no point was any one of you shaken, distraught or in need of any assistance. All five of you were simply loud and obnoxious even after repeatedly being asked to quiet down.

In spite of your behaviour and your questionable robbery story, which you described as an old $20.00 phone lost, that you did not care for, we treated you in the most professional manner possible. I appreciate your concerns for our future guests, but I can assure them that in 7 months of owning the hostel, no one has found themselves in a similar situation.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here for four nights over Easter. It was the first hostel I stayed in whilst traveling alone and I immediately felt at home here. Everyone was so friendly and the hostel is nice and small so you get to know people quickly. The beds were so comfy and kitchen always immaculately clean.

A lightning storm shut off the Internet for a few days so the owner kindly gave me a free night's stay without me even suggesting/hinting at it.

Overall a great place to stay close to Old Quito, especially recommended for solo travellers/couples or small groups!

• Stayed April 2014
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hostel Revolution, I stayed for 3 nights, very clean, hot water for showers, internet, TV room with a large selection of movies, the beds in the dormitory are wide and strong (it does not move when you climbing in and out of bed). Good location, everything is within walking distance of the hostel. The staff is helpful, welcoming and always cheerful. I recommend Hostel Revolution to spend quality quiet time and enjoy Quito. I'll be back :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This nice Hostel, runned by a great english-speaking, friendly and funny owner is laid a bit out of trouble, but in 10min walking distance to the historic center. Beds are really comfortable and extraordinary wide (as well it's everyday bedded by the cleaning stuff). Everything is very clean, especially the shared kitchen. Nice atmosphere with with bar and tables in the common room! Definetly worth to stay there anytime again!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Hostel Revolution is probably the best place in Quito for travelers who look for something personal and quiet. We stayed here for some days and had a great time. The dorm rooms are very spacious. Also, every bed has an own locker which is perfect. The kitchen is definitively the best we have seen so far during 9 months of traveling. The whole hostel is very clean and there are a lot of bathrooms. No waiting in the morning :) The WiFi is very fast and you have connection within the entire hostel. From the hostel it is only a 15 walk to the Old Town and a 20 minute walk to La Mariscal. The staff is very helpful and friendly! We hope to be back one day!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Very good place friendly and very hospitable staff member clean and very organice . Lovely place to spend the nights . The transportation and the location is so easy to get around and check the Centro historico etc etc. Nice location.

• Stayed October 2013