“Perfect location”

Ranked #19 of 229 Quito B&B and Inns
Sharbot lake,Ontario,
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here in November, 2013, felt well cared for and liked it so much that we left our luggage there to go on some small excursions. It became our home away from home.
The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the staff feel like family.
The location could not be better for being in the historic downtown. We were two short blocks away from Plaza Grande and the loial bus stops were within a block. The area was safe with security patrols all day and the hotel was very safe.
I would certainly stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street because the street cars are loud at night.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Swing144

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I arrived in Quito old town without a reservation anywhere and went first to the Hotel Viena Internacional. It was a bit of a gamble but as it was low season I hadn't had a problem not making reservations in other places. Of course Hotel Viena was full but they directed me a few doors up the street to Hostal Quito Cultural. The hostal looked closed when I got there, but because they are very security conscious they keep the doors locked but I didn't see the bell above the door so had to knock for a few minutes to be let in.

They were very accommodating though and gave me a lovely double room on the first floor overlooking the street. the $35 a night was considerably more than I was used to paying in other parts of Ecuador, but being the centre of the old town, I was happy to pay more and my room was worth the price. Light, perfectly clean and warm. It was rather noisy at night with the street noise, but strangely enough, Quito old town seemed to shut down by 9PM so this didn't disturb my sleep.

The communal areas of the internal balconies around the central courtyard and the reading area with the sofa, guitar and ukulele were just lovely, although the downstairs dining area was rather dark and dingey and the breakfast was just fine rather than fantastic.

The owner was incredibly kind and thoughtful, making great pains to make sure I was comfortable and happy, giving clear advice on places to visit and safety in the city, and when I wasn't sure if I'd be staying another night or not, she was happy for me to let her know when I had made up my mind. She even asked one of the lovely ladies working there to accompany me on to the street to flag down a taxi for the bus station and negotiate a fee.

The best things about this nice hotel are the kind and helpful staff, the spotless cleanliness and the excellent central location.

Room Tip: A room away from the street would be quieter
Keremeos, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I tried 3 times to book this property on 2 different booking sites, and it turns out that Hotels.com and Venere both have false prices listed for this property. I received e-mails right away from Alicia, the owner, which I think was very kind because if she had not done so, I would have never known until the argument over price at check out. I do not believe many managers would be so "on the ball". In my opinion, this type of thing is the root cause of many "lost" reservations, and arguments with hotel staff over price. I commend Alicia for doing her best to avoid unneeded stress. Hotels.coms customer service(or lack of same) on the other hand was completely useless in my attempt to clarify the situation.

Room Tip: It is always a good idea to contact your reserved hotel after you make a reservation, to make sure e...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank captainronanejo69
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Having never been to Ecuador before, I didn't really know what to expect coming in. It was an odd first night. First of all the hotel transfer is not $15, it's $35, quite a bit more than the booking email indicated. That being said I did have a courteous and professional driver waiting for me at the airport when I arrived. I arrived very late and the place was locked and all the lights were off, at first a bit disconcerting, however it was due to a power outage in the neighborhood. Someone did stay up and showed me to my room via candle light. For the love of all that is quiet do not stay in a room by the street! You will not sleep unless you are on Ambien or you have industrial grade ear plugs. I asked for another room and the owner changed it right away. The breakfast was good, the wifi is super fast, and yes there is hot water. The best reason to stay here is the location. Everything you need is within walking distance, including all the major attractions of old town Quito. The morning of my departure one of the staff hailed a taxi for me and told the driver where I was going and negotiated a fare so that was nice. All in all a positive experience, however be forewarned that no one here speaks any English.

Room Tip: Away from the street! Or on an upper floor
2 Thank generalgeneral
Pentesileia, Diretor de vendas at Hostal Quito Cultural, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear guest
We thank you very much for your review, we really do take heart in receiving nice people from all over the world the best we can. We apologize for for the mistake with the taxi, and will put attention not to let it happen again.. also with time we are correcting all of the details our guests indicate us and are very grateful for the contribution, and looking for good bilingual staff.
We do hope to appreciate your preference next time you come to our country.
See you!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel was very homey and comfortable. The owner, Alicia, went above and beyond the call of duty. I was supposed to be picked up for a tour and the person was not coming and not coming. Alicia called the company for me, called several taxis and ended up driving me herself to the Ciudad Mitad del Mundo!!! Now that is service!!! Alicia wanted to make sure that I would not have a bad impression/memory of Quito and Ecuador! (And I do not!!!) ¡¡¡Muchas Gracias, Alicia!!!

1 Thank Jean-Marc-Claude
Dear guest
We thank you for your preference and for your review.
Alicia really is know for helping guests enjoy the best of Quito and Ecuador.
Do come back again whenever you can and we will be happy to receive you.
Until then we wish the best for you!
Goodbye!
New York, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I liked this hotel and especially liked the staff and Alicia the owner. She made me feel like family. I left this hotel to stay in another hotel but came back as I realized that this hotel was better. The breakfast was good, the beds were comfortable and WiFi was better than the other hotel. The rooms on the street side can be noisy but by 9 pm all was quiet on the street. The door to the hotel must be unlocked by staff which is very secure but also a bit of a pain to not be able to go in and out freely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank archsusie
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Excellent location and good surroundings!!
The building is amazing and the bedrooms are comfortable.
Literally walk out of the door and you're on to the main streets and squares.
Breakfast was fine, nothing special, but the coffee got you started for the day!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends