“Nice and friendly staff!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal La Ronda

Hostal La Ronda
Ranked #111 of 226 Quito B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nice and friendly staff!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family. The rooms were clean, beds were comfy, good location and very helpful staff. Breakfast is included in the price. If you decide to stay here ask for the rooms on the back as the room at the front can be very noisy (but worth the view to the street) as the streets are always busy and there's plenty cafes and bars around.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Friday Harbor, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

If you want hot water for your shower be prepared for a trickle. The shower did not drain well, so you are standing in cold yucky water. However seeing as you haven't the water pressure for a nice hot shower you are in and out in nothing flat. The internet connection kept going in and out. Very frustrating. A noisy place at night with the restaurant and street hustle. Bring ear plugs.

I asked for a single room occupancy rate; I was traveling alone. They offer single room rates, but Hernan, the manager told me no he would not give me that rate. The hostal was not full, so I am baffled as to why he HAD to charge me a double rate.

Hernan will accomodate you on wherever you want to go for a fee, he is not cheaper than a taxi, although he does have a nice big van with lots of windows, a definite plus.

They do allow dogs - it is the only reason I stayed at this Hostal. BTW it is more like a little apartment. It had a microwave and a few dishes. A kitchen sink and a small little eating table.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

My son and I recently spent 5 nights on 3 separate occasions at Hostal la Ronda during our 3 week trip to Ecuador. We also used their transportation services and did several day tours with them. We wanted to stay in a small family run location in Old Town and have the chance to spend time with our hosts. Hostal La Ronda was the perfect choice as they offer their own tours which are excellent. You felt like you were travelling and staying with family and friends.

Transport services went above and beyond expectations. Our initial flight arrived over 3 hours late due to an unexpected diversion to Guayaquil. However, Gloria and Hernan were there to meet us (be sure to give them your flight # and if you are delayed they will be sure to know and be there for you). As well Hernan was able to get us to our next destination in Cotopaxi despite celebrations in Machachi which required a significant detour. Of his own initiative he contacted our next destination to ensure he had correct directions.

The time we spent with Kennia and Andres touring Old Town, the Equator and Otavalo was a sincere pleasure. Upon returning from each tour my son’s comment would always be “What a fantastic day!” Not only did we learn an amazing amount about Ecuador and the places we were visiting but they are both very interesting people.

As other reviewers have posted the location is excellent with easy access to all of the sites in Old Town. We stayed in Suite 1 and Suite 2. Suite 1 is on the upper level with an amazing view of the Panecillo – recommend booking well in advance and requesting this suite. Gloria was such a gracious host and welcomed us back like family each time we returned.

Yes, Calle La Ronda is noisy but we found earplugs were all we needed to get a good nights’ sleep. However, the benefits of being in an area that was so vibrant and where we felt safe at any time to explore the restaurants and shops far outweighed any noise issues for us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here in march/april 2010.

This hostal is located in the old part of Quito. A good and pretty safe location to stay. The rooms are quite big and extremely clean. The beds are good. You get a lot for the price you pay. The food is great. The building is beautiful. And the owners are nice people.

I got sick when I stayed here and one of the owners, the woman, took great care of me and made sure I was okay. She made me tea and food and was really helpful.

The owners also offer airport transfers. I used this option and was glad that I did. Especially since I was travelling with heavy luggage. The airport is on the other side of the Quito and the drive was longer than I expected, so I was glad I didn't go with public transport or an unknown cab-driver (also for safety reasons). And this way, you get a little sightseeing tour while you're driving too..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Rose_TravAdv
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed in Room 1 in late June for two nights. It was EXTREMELY noisy. We are pretty seasoned travelers and always carry earplugs, but our high-decibel earplugs simply didn't work. The problem is that the street is very noisy (think loud music and people shouting) until the wee hours and the restaurant in the courtyard goes until after midnight (blaring TV, karaoke music and loud diners).The family that runs the hostal is very nice and hospitable, and certainly sympathized with our complaints, but unfortunately they do not stay on the premises (they let us in, fed us breakfast each morning, but were not onsite otherwise) and do not run the restaurant in the courtyard. Couple that with squeaky floorboards and very thin walls, and we literally got about 4 hours of sleep one night because the kids above us started running through their room at about 6 am. One other minor complaint is the lack of bottled water in the rooms. We were lucky enough to have a little left from our plane trip to brush our teeth, otherwise we would have been without water. That said, the rooms are very clean and comfortable, and we had no problems with the shower. Again, Gloria and Hernan, Kennia and Andres are wonderful and I sincerely hope they can overcome the serious noise issues in order to make this hostal survive over the long term. They do provide great car/driver and guide services too.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed at the hostal a total of 7 nights. 5 nights in room 1 which I recommend highly. Room 1 has a balcony and a view of panecillo. I also stayed in room 3 and room 5. These rooms lack the excellent view but are spacious and comfortable. The one thing that is different is the shower in these rooms which you need to read the directions to get heat.
The staff is warm and friendly even for poor spanish speakers. The rooms are clean and an excellent breakfast is served daily at no cost. The restaurant is also open for dinners certain nights of the week. We used the hostal transportation to and from the airport as it was easier than taking a taxi. We also took a private tour of panecillo, mitad del mundo, intinan museum, rumicucho, and pululahua crater which cost $100 for two people and took around 7 hours.
The only issue with this hostal is that staff are not available 24/7. You are given a key for the room and for the entrance. For this reason you need to book in advance and give notice of when you will arrive. This was not a problem for us but we did hear people ringing the doorbell wanting to book a room.
You need to bring ear plugs to stay on Calle la Ronda because it is quite a noisy place every night. There is no central heat or air conditioning in most places throughout Ecuador but the mild weather in Quito does not require it. The staff really went above and beyond when they allowed us to check out late on our last night in Quito. We were allowed to leave at 9pm instead of the posted 12pm. The staff also allowed us to keep our luggage at the hostal while we went on a mountain climbing excursion. Last but not least Calle la Ronda is the safest place in Quito to stay. It is the only place I would venture out at night in Quito.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Family-run B&B in a traditional 17th century colonial courtyard home. Extremely clean accomodations in the Old City. Walk to wonderful retaurants and even the Presidential Palace. The police presence in the neighborhood makes it very safe day or night. Kennia or Andres speak English and can provide guide service for the city (highly recommended) as well as excursions and tourist service outside the city. Morning breakfast in the patio is wonderful including fresh Ecuadorian coffee from the mokapot. Friday and Saturday nights the restaurant downstairs is open and hopping with live music from roving minstrals. It is difficult to sleep upstairs with rooms facing the courtyard if trying to sleep before midnight. Other nights of the week are quiet. The bathrooms do have hot water but very low flow. Heh, you are visiting the Old City. This family is so accomodating that when my husband became ill enough to require a visit to the hospital, Kennia and Andres came right away and took us to the hospital ER to be sure we were taken care of properly. Despite the noisy environment Friday and Saturday nights, we felt extremely comfortable there. Contact Kennia with questions at kenniavillalba@hotmail.com.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.