Jumbo Lodging
Casa El Eden(Quito)
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewseggslocal eating placeshost luiscar broke downold townlocal buseshostel offerssan blasplace to stayown bathroomold houserooms are spacioustwo nightswi filodgeluggageecuador
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Let me previce, I have NEVER written a review. Most everything of what you read in other reviews about Jumbo Lodge, Luis and family is accurate and on point. Our story, Luis met and dropped us off @ the airport at midnight and 4 am respectivley 7 days later.
Day 2, A friend was supposed to pick us up from Jumbo Lodging, coming from Cayambe, a 2 hour drive away. Her car broke down. Luis offerd to drive us on a Sunday afternoon to Cayambe, and p/u our friend, at much less than a taxi or rental would have cost. We were stuck and it would have cost us more to stay an extra night at the hostal than Luis' nominal "fee" to drive us. The point is Luis and family does whats right and does it well!! He even took the scenic route and made a few stops at "attractions" we would have never seen on our own. They helped turn a "trip" into a wonderful adventure! You won't get this "service" at any "upscale" hotel, you can't purchase "genuine" goodness!!

Mucha's Gracias Luis, Alba and Family,
Ricardo Y Melanie

BTW, After we left you, Peru and Machu Picchu were awe inspiring!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rick H
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Our family of four including two teen boys had a terrific stay at Jumbo Lodging. Luis picked us up from the airport late in the evening and made us feel right at home--was also very helpful with restaurant recommendations and sightseeing tips. We had two rooms on the third floor of this charming colonial home--the boys enjoyed their own room with separate beds. The water pressure indeed was a bit low--but certainly enough for a decent shower. Breakfasts were glorious with lots of local fresh fruit--and the downstairs family room (with computer and internet access) allowed us to spread out a little. Great location in centro historico. We'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mvmom10
Reviewed 6 January 2013

No major complaints about this place apart from the price - it's not good value and there are hostels in the old centre that cost less than half. And as it rains a lot in Quito and you can only spend so much time reading guidebooks and novels, having a TV in the room would also be nice. And although the historic centre is quite impressive, it is dangerous at night, so lone travellers and females really need to take precautions.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Don M
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Quito was my first stop in my two month South American adventure. I head read great things about Luis and his family and they were all true. Luis picked me up on time and also waited for me given Quito airport is very slow and luggage and immigration took a long time. I was arriving late at night so I thought it would be best and safer for Luis to pick me up.

The bed was comfortable and the room was nice. Location was good and central, close to the bus stop to be able to get to the equator and other tourist sights. The breakfast was amazing, fresh fruit, eggs, toast, fresh juice, all really great. The people also staying there also seemed really nice and also like minded decent travellers. My only negatives about this place was the shower. It was an electric shower so you could either have good pressure or a hot shower. I soon learned only to stay in places with a gas shower as this was the same with every hostal or hotel that had electric showers. This one however was very poor with barely a trickle of hot water. I dont know if other rooms were the same or not. Also I was on my own so the price was 45USD per room. This was probably the most I paid across my trip in South America for a private room with a private shower.

On the whole I would recommend this place but the shower and price for me let me down.

The other places I stayed at in my trip where I would recommend without any hesitation are the ones where I have awarded 5 stars. If someone had recommended these places to me I would have saved a lot of time researching so I'd be more than happy to help future travellers. I had a great trip to South America and these places were the best I stayed. If you would like any info or have any questions, please let me know.

Room Tip: Check the shower before you select the room. The electric shower in my room had hardly any pressure.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank ninsc
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Our second time staying at Jumbo Lodging and again Luis is an excellent host. Located in old town 5 minute walk to plaza grande and other sites. Great breakfast and clean rooms. Luis is the best! Ear plugs are provided, there are barking dogs.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends