“Nightmare; Worst Hotel Ever!”
Review of Savoy Inn

Savoy Inn
Ranked #126 of 252 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My wife and I booked into this Hotel for 3 nights in October 2012. Lousy receptionists, they don't even look at you . He just returned from holidays and there is a new system explain one of them; safety box don't work, TV out of order,hair dryer not available, computer not available; Staff suggest change of room after working unsuccessfully for more than one hour. New room after hours waiting : TV out of order, safety box out of order and they promise to fix it because Mgr. has the batteries but never came; the phones not working. Documents and valuables to be kept in the Mgr. office. Next floor up there is party of 50 people dancing on top of your bed at midnight, loud percussion for hour and a half. next day the manager was not available despite several requests to see her. Next night about 40 guest students at midnight at the hotel door's , drinking and waiting for buses to go with loud music and screams only to return a few hours later to continue the party at the hotel doors. Next day we tried to find the manager; She will be here latter they said. We need our documents to travel ! we want to talk to her ! At 2:00 PM the documents arrive but the Mgr. is gone! From America we posted a letter to the hotel on their site and until today we have no answer or comments. The Mgr is still missing ! Nobody answers!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anton F

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed at the Savoy on my first night back from the Galapagos, it was very welcoming, clean and very hot showers, with great power. I went back the next night as I was robbed in Quito old town of everything barring my rucksack. The toursit police took me back there and explained to the owner what had happened, She very kindly let me stay there until I could get some money sent via western union. The whole staff could not have been more helpful and kind. Breakfast is an array of fruit, buns, cakes, eggs, you name it you can have it. Even English tea which they brought specially for me to my table every breakfast. Carlos too was a great host and speaks fluent English. Nothing is too much trouble, Very close to the airport and very close to Av. Amazonas which is great for getting around.

Room Tip: I don´t think the room matters as it is in a residential area and well of the main road. The rooms a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The Savoy is close to the airport in Quito (except I was told they are building a new airport further out from the city, so in the future the Savoy will not have this reason for staying there). It has the atmosphere one would expect from a 3-star hotel, plus a very good restaurant that is reasonably priced. Rooms have cable tv and good shower with hot water and strong water pressure (which is one reason I moved from a hostal to the Savoy; after a couple of weeks in Ecuador I needed a good shower!). The staff was very nice about letting me use their printer to print off my boarding passes for travel back to the U.S. The night staff failed me badly, however, in NOT giving me the wake-up call I was relying on to get to the airport in time for my flight -- I had requested it both verbally and in writing to make sure I got the call. The person at the front desk was not even apologetic about it -- he just shrugged and said he personally never got the request.

Room Tip: You will hear noise from planes flying over regardless of where your room is located.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We used this hotel for a 12 hour stay in Quito before catching a very early flight home. As advertised, it's pretty close to the airport ... which is good for convenience but bad for airplane noise. Check in was okay. The room was below average with old tile flooring, threadbare furniture and only 2 hangers, but they did have a 32 inch flat screen TV and an adequate number of English language channels, it was clean and there was hot water after running the tap for less than a minute. The bed was fine. I'd use this place again for 12 hours, but that's about it. Oh, and the restaurant served up a decent dinner for a fair price.

Room Tip: Maybe a room that doesn't face the flight path would be more quiet, but I'm not sure what di...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed there with a large group because it was cheap and close to the Airport.
It is not in an area where you would want to walk around in. There are not really any restaurants nearby although the restaurant onsite is not bad.
Because it is close to the airport, every plane taking off or landing sounds like it is coming through your room. Bring earplugs and Imovane.
They do however brew beer on site which is pretty good.
The stairs are not lit and I suspect they lock the doors at night.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I used this hotel only because I flew late into Quito and was flying out again early the next morning. For this purpose the hotel was fine. The décor of both the hotel and the rooms is slightly dated but sufficiently clean (without being spotless), and I actually thought that overall it was not bad for this price. The hotel is 5 minutes from the airport (cost of a taxi was $5USD) and the hotel has 24 hour reception/security to check you in if you arrive late or leave early. All in all a good option if you are looking for a hotel near that airport that is cheap but not too dirty or unsecure. Note that free Wi-Fi is only available in the reception area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Aguy29
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We had a room on the 5th floor with a great view of the city. It was large and comfortable. The bell boy was good about bringing us cokes and snacks. We got a wake up call and assistance with our bags at 4 in the morning. The price was right: $50.00 for one and $60 for 2 in a double room. The airport is five miles away when traffic is clear. The Shuttle service is not provided and a taxi in sparse traffic is about $5. It is more in crowded traffic.

DO NOT EAT in the restaurant unless absolutely necessary. The shrimp were frozen and rubbery with no taste. The pork chops were not fresh, but rather smoked packages bought right from the supermarket..Only one third of the items on the menu were available!!

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple