“My Home Away From Home”

Ranked #10 of 228 Quito B&B and Inns
Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Philippines
“My Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed in Colonial House for a month and had the best time of my life. I'm a fan of everything "colonial" so I found the place really suitable for my stay. They have English speaking staff, clean bathrooms and the owners are amazing! During the first period of my stay, wifi wasn't working well but after 2 weeks, they've installed new modems to improve the internet connection! I didn't really want to leave but I have to carry on with Peru. I will definitely come back here!

I highly recommend Colonial House if you ever swing by Quito.

Tip: Try to sign up for breakfast at least once. It's the best breakfast I had in South America.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Colonial House for three days upon our arrival in Quito. The staff were super friendly, and there was a nice community atmosphere. They provided free filtered water & coffee and the breakfasts were only $3.50 and tasty. The Wireless and internet was also free, but painfully slow when it did work. Our room #9 was facing the street and quite loud, we were woken up every morning around 6. We made the most of it though and got an early start to the day. We also had to make sure to keep the bathroom door closed due to a strong unpleasant odour.

Coimbra, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Travelling to Ecuador meant backpacking, adventure and hostel living. First time in one so no use comparing to a hotel although this one may be superior to some. I was surprised how clean it was seeing that in fact it is colonial (200 years old) and by proper experience knowing that older buildings are harder to keep clean, or at least look the part. The staff is made up by volunteers from all over the world that although might not being the best local guides make up for it with their genuiness. A special thanks to Tom for charging his Skype account at 2:00 am just so I could call home seeing that our mobile phones did not work in the same frequency band and everything was closed.
We just went there to sleep although it looks like a good place to relax and meet new people. It´s location near the central market and just a few blocks away from the center is one of its perks. The prices for day trips are very good when in comparison with travel agencies.
After two weeks travelling around Ecuador we came to spend our last night back at this hostel and if felt like coming home.
The only "down" side is the wi-fi that is reeeaaaaallllly slow and the electric shower heads are a bit tricky for hot water. Not a major problem for us.

Room Tip: Do not choose the mountain view room if you want a good night´s sleep. Life starts at early hours a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Went here on recommendation of friends. Didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised, for a backpackers run by volunteers it's really clean. We had a shared bathroom and it was no problem.

The place has lots of corners to sit in and it didn't feel crowded. Free hot drinks and filtered water was good. Plenty of kitchens and bathrooms. Only $30 transfer to the airport. It wasn't a party hostel, which was perfect.

The room we had was next to the laundry, only a small window, so dark and dingy, but beds comfy.

There is a nice Italian 5 minute walk from the hostel (at the cross roads by the hostel turn right and towards the yellow house at the end of the road, at the yellow house turn right and its a few doors up, only open after 6pm.). The laundry is $2 a kg, but launderette a few doors up from the Italian restaurant does a kg for $0.50.

There seemed to be no one at reception each time we went to ask for something. Some of the staff were helpful and friendly, but others just couldn't be bothered.

Breakfast wasn't worth the $3.50 and as bread rolls are just $0.12 each from the bakery down the road I don't understand why just one roll is provided.

Overall not sure if I would stay here again, but for our purpose it was well suited.

USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I've stayed in over 100 hostels in 30 countries but this place had THE RUDEST STAFF I've ever seen. One refused to look away from his facebook to give me directions to the places I wanted to see. I was totally friendly and polite and he just kept trying to wave me off and saying he didn't know where each place was - he wouldn't even give a restaurant recommendation. I tried asking where to catch the bus or trolly and he told me to just walk down the street and ask for directions. WHY?!?!! We gave up and ended up going to a different hostel and asking them for directions to the market/attractions which they were super helpful with and even gave us a map. I know all this shouldn't have bothered me so much but it really did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Really good place to socialise with other travellers, plenty of common areas throughout the hostel on all its floors.

Nice kitchen, could be a bit better equipped and kept cleaner, but is alright.

Only downside: the electrical showers are very tricky to start and only turn the water from freezing to bearable... but not to warm.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice hostel with great common area and a nice kitchen. The rooms vary (size, light etc), we totally can recommend room #1. The rooms and bathrooms are quite clean (we had a room with a private bathroom). It could be a bit loud sometimes (depending on the guests of course). The owner is very friendly! The wifi is not really great but it works.
The location is ok, though staying in La Mariscal would also be nice.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple