“A very different dining experience in Quito”
Review of Octava de Corpus

Octava de Corpus
Ranked #90 of 1,466 Restaurants in Quito
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Situated in the beautiful historic centre of Quito, Octava de Corpus is a dining experience like no other I've had in Ecuador. The best thing about the restaurant is undoubtedly the quality of its cellar. The owner will take you down to pick a bottle and he knows his onions. The decor is quaint and perhaps a little cluttered. The owner is very friendly but just occasionally strays into the territory of nuisance as he hovers around the table explaining about wine.... but he's very friendly. The food is all delicious, I had a gorgeous piece of corvina fish coated in a quinoa breadcrumb. It's very different from most of the other restaurants in Quito and I guarantee you will not regret a visit.

There are newer reviews for Octava de Corpus

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were so looking forward to dining here after reading the reviews. The decor and table settings were lovely. But the food was not good. I had the sea bass and it tasted so fishy I could not eat it. We were dining in a large group so I didn't want to make a scene or wait for another entree, so I did not tell our server. But the server never came by to ask how our food was. The dessert was still frozen when it was served, so it was tasteless. After leaving the restaurant and talking to some of our dining companions we learned they were disappointed with the food as well. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We enjoyed a lovely evening at the restaurant - it is such a remarkable place filled to the brim with artwork and antiques. We were given a huge welcome by Jaimie and we were given a tour of the excellent wine cellar. It was a Sunday evening and not many restaurants in the area were open. The food was good but we felt it was rather overpriced for what it was. We were not the only ones eating - another party of four were in the adjoining room.

1  Thank herrod
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were going to another restaurant, but when we arrived it was closed. We drove by this restaurant and saw that it was open so we went in. The owner was very friendly and showed us the whole place... it was like nothing I had seen before. Long tables, artwork everywhere, great visit of the cellar, excellent wine for only $40 and very good food. Our travel guide said to make reservations, but that night we had the whole restaurant to ourselves. Maybe during the day, it is busier.
It's worth the try.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

made a reservation online for 6:30pm for a friday night and we were the 1st people to show up. By the time we left at 8:30pm, only 2 other people showed up, not sure if this is typical or if it was just a slow night. Anyways...

The place is like a museum, the walls are decorated with paintings, there are antique books everywhere, lots of other antique pieces, all in an old house (170 years old), made for a very nice setting. This is definitely not a place for kids as there are antiques everywhere.

We were greeted by a very nice older gentleman, I think he owns the place. He spoke good english but we conversed in spanish. I had the shrimp in sherry (langotin de jerez) based on a recommendation from a friend and it was delicious. My gf had a chicken wrapped in spinach, also delicious. They have a huge wine selection in the basement, just ask and they will take you down there.

The food was excellent and so was the ambience and service but it is pricey. We spent $70 for a chef salad (that we split) 2 entrees and 1 glass of wine. But I would recommend it for what it is, a nice meal out in a unique setting.