“Home away from home..”

Ranked #31 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Home away from home..”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I never write reviews but I had such a nice stay at Tambuca I had to spread the word about this hotel. The family is one of the nicest families you will ever meet. I had arranged with Yolanda to be picked up at the airport by her son Carlos.. But, I missed my flight! I thought for sure I would have to flag down a taxi and try and make my way to the hotel but Carlos had waited for me at the airport. I arrived at midnight and he waited 4 hours for me! As a female traveling alone in Ecuador this was such an amazing relief to have him there waiting patiently for my arrival. Then the airlines lost my luggage and Yolanda and her husband helped me call and talk with the airlines trying to recover my luggage. The entire family is so helpful and just really nice people. They can arrange rides to wherever you want to go for a decent price. The rooms are clean and breakfast was very good.. After backpacking around the country I felt like returning to Tambuca was like coming home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tiffany N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
WINONA
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is a good inn, at a good location in Quito. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Carlos knows enough English to answer your questions. There are good restaurants and shopping in the area. We stayed in two different rooms, and both of them were comfortable and quiet at night. We will stay there again when we return to Quito.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I want to start by saying that if I return to Quito, I wouldn't think twice about staying at Posada Tambuca again. My fella and I stayed there for two nights, left for the jungle for six days, and when we returned for four more nights at Tambuca, it was like being home again. Carlos and Yolanda are such sweet people, always eager to please and laugh with us. Our bed was so comfortable and we knew we could count on made-to-order eggs, croissants, fresh fruit, juice, tea and coffee for breakfast every morning. The shared bathroom on the bottom floor has two toilets and two showers; there was never a problem with being able to use either. Every morning we met and talked with other travelers over breakfast. The bus and trolley lines are short walks away, as is the Mariscal Foch, so the location was quite convenient. Carlos gave us the low-down on how to be safe in the neighborhood and gave us other recommendations.

Even though my lasting impression of Posada Tambuca is such a positive one, I have to dock it one star because, unless you have earplugs, trying to get a solid night's sleep can be a bit rough. Luckily, our fellow travelers were respectful and didn't make a lot of noise. But the house is old and just the sound of someone walking down the hallway can wake you up. So I'd encourage anyone to stay here, but strongly encourage someone staying here to bring earplugs. I'd also recommend requesting an upstairs room; this might alleviate the noise issue a bit.

That being said, highly recommended and hope to return someday!

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room to alleviate some of the noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea V
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014

From airport pickup to late night drop the next day, Posada Tambuca was a great accommodation. Carlos was always around and eager to help us plan our outings. For US$38 we had a room with a bunk and a single with a shared bath next door. Excellent wifi connection! The common area is a great place to meet with fellow travelers and browse the large selection of travel books. An inconsiderate guest talked loudly far into the night, so consider earplugs. The location is only a few blocks from a city tour bus stop (highly recommended!) and restaurants. Carlos made us a great breakfast of eggs, fruit, juice, and rolls. He also arranged for us to be taken to the teleferico, where we hiked up for a one hour horseback ride at the top.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Canmore
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Lovely stay in this beautifully maintained and colourfully decorated family-run hostel! It is located an easy walking distance to the historic city centre (25 minutes) as well as the newer 'La Mariscal' restaurant and hotel area (10 minutes). We also walked up to the base of the gondola from the hostel in about 45 minutes so it really is in a great location. There are also buses - called the 'metro' or 'trolley' depending on which main street they run along - that you can take for 25 cents all around the city. We took one of these buses out to the final stop and then caught a bus to the park on the equator (mitad del mundo) for less than $1 each way. Mitad del mundo is well worth a visit ($3 entry fee) and the restaurants and artesania shops there are not much more expensive than elsewhere.
The gondola trip ($8) offers a great view of the city and area - head up early in the sunshine before the clouds roll in and block some of the mountain-top views.
Posada Tambuca really is a lovely place to stay, Yolanda is warm and welcoming and creates a friendly vibe with guests. Lots of fellow travellers of all ages passing through so it's a great place to meet others and share current travel tips. The shared bathroom is clean and well-maintained. The breakfast is excellent - a fresh juice each day, fresh bread or croissants with butter and home-made jam, tea and coffee, a fried egg or omelette and fresh fruits. Yolanda has a lot of different travel brochures for Quito and surrounding areas, as well as her wealth of local information.
You can also book an airport transfer directly with the hostel and Yolanda's son Carlos will pick you up. It does costs about $5 more than a taxi (which you can arrange at the official taxi desk in the arrivals hall for $25-$30) but is worth it if you are arriving late and don't know the city. There is also a bus transfer option for $8. The airport is at least a 45 minute drive to the hostel. One other tip for the airport is that once you have checked in there is a food court in the building directly across the road from the airport with a bigger variety and lower cost than the options in the airport itself.
We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Quito!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are decorated with beautiful murals and colourful bedding but a room away from the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Vienna, Wien, Austria
Reviewed 29 January 2014

In total we spent 6 nights in this posada. The posada is located in Sucrs Mariscal, not far away from Mariscal Foch. The posada is clean and very well organised. Yolanda and Carlos take care of the posada. They made our stay feel like home. They prepare a wonderful breakfast and organise taxi transfers & co. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

This family run accommodation is just brilliant.
Ecuador in one place. The whole family work together brilliantly to ensure that your stay in Quito is the best it can be!
Nothing is too much trouble.
My Spanish is atrocious and English is seldom heard used by the family, but communication is perfect.
Thanks Yolanda, Carlos, Carlos - and the rest of the family.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo