“Back Again!”

Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Back Again!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

In January 2014, I returned alone for business and there was nowhere else I would stay besides Posada Tambuca. The location is perfect and Yolanda, Carlos and Carlitos took great care of me, especially when I got sick. Yolanda nursed me back to health. I don't think there's anything they wouldn't do to make my stay any more comfortable than it was. Breakfast is something to wake up to; you get to meet whoever came in the night before and get to know the people who are staying over the freshest eggs, coffee and juice you can imagine. Fresh squeezed juice like you have never tasted. Hammocks outside give you a place to relax under the brilliant sky of Quito and being in a compound makes you feel like you're in an oasis. No matter what time, day or night, you will be taken care of until Yolanda is satisfied. In fact, since I've stayed there for a combined total of 16 nights so far, she's essentially my Ecuadorian mom. My daughter and I are returning in August and can't wait to see them all again. If you're visiting Quito to experience Quito, do yourself a favor and stay at Posada Tambuca; you will not regret it!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Yolanda will take great care in choosing the best room that will suit your nee...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We ( my brother and I) stayed a total of 4 nights in february 2013.
Carlos sr, picked us up at the airport. We were welcomed by Yolanda and we felt at home immediately. The whole family is so nice and helpfull. Carlos brought us back to the airport a few days later, very early in the morning to catch our plane to the Galapagos.
The house is old and therefore a little noisy. Especially in the front room. But the place is so nice that we took that for what is was.
Breakfast was great.
When we came back after 3 weeks, it felt like coming home. We had a lot of contact with Carlos sr, despite the fact that we know hardly 20 words in Spanish and the same for Carlos in English. But communication has never been an issue. Yolanda is like a mother, she is so helpfull.
Posada is well situated, an only a few blocks from Mariscal and from some very nice local restaurants.
Highly recommandated.
Thanks for all Yolanda and Carlos. One year later we did not forget about you and we hope coming back one day.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susanne T
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I arrived to quito at some crazy hour of the morning and the owners son met me at the airport which was really nice and comforting. Although there was nothing wrong with this place, it really lacked any atmosphere or vibe. There are no common areas where you can relax and chat with others about their travel or things to do except the breakfast. Which if you are placed in the front room... Sounds like breakfast is in your room!! If you're looking for just a very simple bed and bit much more than this could be good. Be aware.... This place has shared bathrooms!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Fulfillyourdream
Banos, Ecuador
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of our South America adventure. We arrived late at night but Yolanda quickly answered the gate and showed us to our rooms, gave us drinking water and made sure we were comfortable. Her and her husband Carlos were amazing to us. We speak zero Spanish but you still feel like you're able to communicate.

The complimentary breakfast is good -- eggs, fresh juice, coffee, tea, croissants, fruit, and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. Because there are so few rooms, sharing a bathroom was not a big deal (and I typically prefer private ones). They were clean with hot showers (2 showers and 2 toilet stalls). The wifi is very good.

They went above and beyond to help us -- Carlos took us to Mitad del Mundo for a reasonable price and later went to the bus station by himself to buy our night tickets to Coca so we were good to go. Even though our bus was late in the night after we were supposed to check out, they let us stay in our room at no extra charge all day and gave us fresh towels. They let us use their phones and helped us call Spanish travel agencies to arrange our next trips. Carlos drove us to the bus station and waited with us until we were able to board.

This is the kind of business I love supporting. Thank you Yolanda and Carlos and family for such an amazing welcome to Ecuador!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shayla D
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I never write reviews but I had such a nice stay at Tambuca I had to spread the word about this hotel. The family is one of the nicest families you will ever meet. I had arranged with Yolanda to be picked up at the airport by her son Carlos.. But, I missed my flight! I thought for sure I would have to flag down a taxi and try and make my way to the hotel but Carlos had waited for me at the airport. I arrived at midnight and he waited 4 hours for me! As a female traveling alone in Ecuador this was such an amazing relief to have him there waiting patiently for my arrival. Then the airlines lost my luggage and Yolanda and her husband helped me call and talk with the airlines trying to recover my luggage. The entire family is so helpful and just really nice people. They can arrange rides to wherever you want to go for a decent price. The rooms are clean and breakfast was very good.. After backpacking around the country I felt like returning to Tambuca was like coming home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tiffany N
WINONA
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is a good inn, at a good location in Quito. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Carlos knows enough English to answer your questions. There are good restaurants and shopping in the area. We stayed in two different rooms, and both of them were comfortable and quiet at night. We will stay there again when we return to Quito.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I want to start by saying that if I return to Quito, I wouldn't think twice about staying at Posada Tambuca again. My fella and I stayed there for two nights, left for the jungle for six days, and when we returned for four more nights at Tambuca, it was like being home again. Carlos and Yolanda are such sweet people, always eager to please and laugh with us. Our bed was so comfortable and we knew we could count on made-to-order eggs, croissants, fresh fruit, juice, tea and coffee for breakfast every morning. The shared bathroom on the bottom floor has two toilets and two showers; there was never a problem with being able to use either. Every morning we met and talked with other travelers over breakfast. The bus and trolley lines are short walks away, as is the Mariscal Foch, so the location was quite convenient. Carlos gave us the low-down on how to be safe in the neighborhood and gave us other recommendations.

Even though my lasting impression of Posada Tambuca is such a positive one, I have to dock it one star because, unless you have earplugs, trying to get a solid night's sleep can be a bit rough. Luckily, our fellow travelers were respectful and didn't make a lot of noise. But the house is old and just the sound of someone walking down the hallway can wake you up. So I'd encourage anyone to stay here, but strongly encourage someone staying here to bring earplugs. I'd also recommend requesting an upstairs room; this might alleviate the noise issue a bit.

That being said, highly recommended and hope to return someday!

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room to alleviate some of the noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple