“Stunning Views”
Review of Alegria Farm

Alegria Farm
Ranked #30 of 86 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1911, historic Hacienda and 135-hectare Alegria Farm are in the verdant heart of the Avenida de los Volcanoes. These beautiful pasturelands are home to more than 200 cows and calves, 65 horses and foals, dozens of llamas and alpacas, and more. It's the perfect place to learn about hacienda life, which includes milking cows, riding horses, animal care, and taking care. Visit us from a few hours a day to several days.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The views we saw during our horseback ride were absolutely stunning, and the experience was followed up with a delicious, local meal at the Hacienda. Our ride lasted a bit longer than we would have liked (~4 1/2 hours), so (if you are novice horseback riders like us) you might ask for the abbreviated tour. Also, if you are driving there yourself, print directions from the internet, since the ones we were given weren't very clear. Overall, a great experience that I would recommend to anyone!

4  Thank LivandDusty

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We only had the opportunity to stay 2 days at Alegria Farm and it was the best 2 days in Ecuador. I rode twice during my stay, one short ride thru the picturesque countryside and a longer ride to El Corazon. My Peruvian Paso horse was bright and energetic, yet perfectly trained. I fell in love with custom leatherwork bridles and wanted to find one to bring home, but they are custom made.
These horses don't flinch at blowing papers, livestock, tractors, trains , cars, bicycles etc...the best trained horses I have ridden anywhere. We rode up into fragrant Eucalyptus forests and through high altitude grasslands where we stopped for lunch. The glimpes of rural life were also interesting-many beautiful dairy and potato farms in the area. My travel partner does not ride but enjoyed learning about the dairy cows, strolling the colorful grounds with their immense vistas of mountains and patchwork farmland, and reading the vast collection of books on Ecuador's flora and fauna and Chagras (cowboys). The 101 year old Hacienda is an absolute delight as are it's hosts Gabriel and Paty and Gabriels cousin. We tried authentic and unusual dishes including lots of delicious local fruits. We got to see the resident herd of Alpacas and learn about dairy cows.Everything about our stay was memorable and it would be my first choice should I return to Ecuador.

4  Thank MauiChocolate
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I have to agree with all the other reviewers. This is a great place to stay. We were there with a tour group and spent the night. I don't know what a day visit would be like. We had an enjoyable horseback ride for a few hours with Gabriel leading. I am not a horse lover, but it was OK, even with a bit of rain. After we got back and dried out, Gabriel had hot drinks and cookies for us, which we enjoyed in front of a roaring fire. The dinner was very good and they provided a couple bottles of wine. If you are staying overnight, I would recommend bringing your own wine or beer or whatever if you want more than a glass or two. The rooms were comfortable and clean.

1  Thank grizz9
Reviewed 17 April 2012

A beautiful hacienda perfectly located within easy traveling distance from Quito. If you are a horse lover, a rider or an architect lover, this home is a must see. Gabriel and Paty offer a warm and inviting look into Ecuadorian culture, history and provide each guest with a unique farm experience. Gabriel and his staff of Chagra's (cowboys) provide guests with a perfect match in a Pasofino, Ecuadorian or Andalusian horse that will guarantee an excellent riding experience. What a fabulous way to see the hillside in Volcano country, the people who live and work there, and the vistas...on horseback. Rustic and delicious local food, excellent accommodations, great showers, extremely comfortable in every way. And the gardens......fantastico! Muchas Gracias to the Espinoza family!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed as a extension to our Galapagos trip after reading about this in a travel guide. We were a family of four with two young children. Extremely warm and gracious host. Our first night was eating with the family within their personal dining room with Gabriel and wife as host.

The rooms are very new, very clean and spacious. They have put a lot of care into making this a wonderful place to stay. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Very nice views from each room of the valley.

We are novices at horse riding and they were very receptive to this and offered training before each ride. They also seem to cater to the more experienced horse riders, and I can see this as a must visit for the avid horseback rider. They have a zip line on the property which my young teenage son loved, but I found the horse experience far more enjoyable.

The food is family style and very,very good. They serve traditional Ecuadorean meals that were very well prepared.

I would go back if travels take me back to Ecuador. They have multi day horse riding trips that I was interested in but did not have the time to enjoy. The other interesting thing about this place was that some of the guests that stayed during our time used it as a base for climbing many of the volcanic peaks in the region.

Overall rate this as an excellent experience.

1  Thank FourJays