“Very nice "normal" café in Gringolandia”
Review of Fonfone Cafe

Fonfone Cafe
Ranked #499 of 1,641 Restaurants in Quito
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Description: http://www.vivatravelguides.com/south-america/ecuador/quito/la-mariscal/mariscal-restaurants/fonfone/ s
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Whenever I come back to Quito, one of my first things to do is check out the Fonfone Café is still there. It still is. When in Gringolandia (or "La Mariscal", as the zone is officially called), most everything is a tourist ripoff and some restaurants have obtrusive touts standing in front of their door to bring in tourists, this is such a quiet and nice little café, I am always delighted. Fonfone offers very nice salads, hot meals and whatever you can imagine, you can sit inside or outside (I prefer inside) and the lady running the café is very friendly and welcoming but not the kind of friendliness with Dollar sign in her eyes, it is honest. Food was always great here, prices are very fair and I can absolutely recommend this little place. Unfortunately, breakfast is no longer offered, so come here during the afternoon or evening.

1  Thank airevents

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Not to be missed. Fonfone is cheaper, better, friendlier, and more authentic than a lot of the other places in the Mariscal. Don't miss the Mote Sucio and the Locro de Papas!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Fonfone is off the main street from the loud, colorful monstrosity that is Plaza Foch. This quaint and warm cafe is usually filled with Ecuadorian clients and traveling backpackers alike. They have great menu items like huge tasty juices, EXCELLENT coffee, great lasagna, great loco de papas, a very nice "mote sucio" (which is a seasoned hominy dish), and a nice mix of music from all over. It is a great place to read, eat, drink coffee or beer, or practice spanish with locals. The owner, Catalina, is really sweet and treats clients like family. A great gem in the Quito Mariscal. Don't miss it!

1  Thank BenitoSpann
Reviewed 8 September 2011

ive had the worst coffee in my week put atention please when you prepare it

1  Thank pedrinv
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I've been to Ecuador and Quito several times since 2006, and during each visit, I end up spending a great deal of my time in Fonfoné. I got to know this wonderful little place during my very first day in Quito, as I was "lured in" by the sign advertising "breakfast all day long". Since then, I've been going back every time I'm in town, mainly because of the great, welcoming atmosphere created by Catalina and her son, and the delicious food.
Fonfoné is a fantastic place to grab a quick bite or to have a proper meal, to have a drink with your friends (the mojitos are pretty nice!), or just to go with a good book and enjoy a tasty cup of hot chocolate or a cappucino...maybe even with a yummy chocolate brownie...and accompanied by good music. And yeah, the super-sized fruit juices are good, too!
There are lots of regular customers who go to Fonfoné several times a week, and I don't wonder why. At least for me, like I say, Fonfoné is my home in Quito...and it's always nice to go back home, right? ;)