Casa Gangotena
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Carlota(Quito)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshigh teabeautiful hotelmashpi lodgethe plaza san franciscoplaza view roomold townmarble bathroomrestored mansionluxury hotellocal fruitrooftop terracefresh flowersecuadorian cuisineturn down servicethree nightsloved this hotelfamily home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife, 14 year old son and I spent three splendid nights at Casa Gangotena in March, 2012. I highly recommend the hotel.

In the fall of 2011, when planning our trip to Ecuador, I found myself in a quandary – I couldn’t find a hotel that precisely met our needs in Quito. The Plaza Grande looked great, but seemed to price itself at the extremely high end of the market, especially for Ecuador. And, the room mix there didn’t meet our needs. Some of the newer hotels in the modern part of town looked perfectly fine, but I wanted to stay in the historic center of town.

Then came Andrew Harper’s very positive review of the then newly opened Casa Gangotena in his Hideaway Report.. That settled it, I’d found my hotel. I’m happy to report that, after a three night stay, my decision proved to be spot on.

As a perusal of the Casa Gangotena website will show, the hotel is located on Plaza San Francisco, the largest of historic Quito’s squares. The renovation of the hotel’s historic building is impressive, and of very high quality (the closest example, from a quality standpoint, that comes to mind is the renovation at the Four Seasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet).

The hotel is immediately adjacent to the San Francisco church and monastery. Whether your room has a plaza view or not, you have access to a wrap-around rooftop terrace, with terrific views (especially at night) of the plaza below and of Quito all around you.

We had two adjoining rooms on the first (second, in US parlance) floor, overlooking the hotel’s interior courtyard. They were good sized, and each came with reasonably comfortable seating for reading and/or watching TV. The hotel has satellite TV, and so we could watch the NCAA quarterfinals (with Spanish announcers) during our stay.

The bed was very comfortable, and pillows, towels and linens were of deluxe quality. The HVAC was efficient, quiet and effective. The rooms were well lit, and very quiet.

My only quibbles with the rooms focused on the bathrooms. Each bathroom had only one sink, and somehow the bathroom had no convenient place to store stuff. The manager assured us that a solution to this problem was in process. And, while the bathrooms had lots of marble, they were pretty monochromatic – nothing a little touch of color might not correct. Minor problems both, and easily correctable.

Breakfast was good. There was a buffet of fruit, breads, meats and cheese, and a set of hot plates with various breakfast options. Freshly cooked eggs were on offer. A varied assortment of fruit juices (most of which I’d not heard of – they were great) was on offer.

The hotel had a selection of Ecuadorean fruit in the room, which was replenished. Each night, we were also offered a selection of wonderful sweets.

We also had dinner at the hotel the first night, and enjoyed our meals very much.
Like most of the very best hotels I’ve stayed in, however, it was service that put the Casa Gangotena over the top.

The terrific service started even before arrival. My emails regarding dinner arrangements were answered almost within seconds of being sent. When LAN sent a notice on the day of our flight to Ecuador changing the arrival time, my email telling the hotel (for pickup purposes) was answered in 5 minutes. Bravo!

On arrival, we were greeted personally by the manager, Fernando Delgado. As it happened, one of our bags didn’t arrive with us on our flight from Miami. I mentioned this to the staff, and immediately the front desk staff took ownership of the problem, and kept in frequent contact with LAN until the bag arrived (too bad LAN wouldn’t let the hotel pick up the bag for me, but that’s not the hotel’s fault).

Our airport pickup and all of our dinner arrangements were handled flawlessly. Every touch by housekeeping was perfect.

We had an enjoyable chat with Senor Delgado on our last evening – and I was impressed with his interest in his guests and with his focus on service.

Like many other guests, we were offered a tour of a nearby local market with the hotel’s executive chef, Andrés Dávila. We had a splendid time, and Senor Dávila proved an excellent host and tour guide. At end of our tour, he demonstrated two ceviche preparations for us, and then prepared a special lunch for us highlighting Ecuadorean cuisine. Fantastic!

Casa Gangotena is easily among the finest small hotels I’ve visited, and certainly is in the top 5 in South America. I’d come back – again and again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank OrrvilleRedRider
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This hotel which is on CN Traveler's Hot List certainly, belongs there. The service is outstanding. I have stayed at some top hotels and this property is right up there with them.

Room- It is beautiful and the bathroom is huge. Note to hotel, the safe needs to be lowered since if you are under 7 feet tall, you cannot reach it. The night time amenity, is a yummy plate of local treats. Try the sparkling water which is local and included in the room. They also provide a lovely bowl of local, exotic fruit and some apples and plums for the less adventurous visitor. The bed is very comfy.

Food: Breakfast- Was delicious with a wide assortment including cooked eggs. The local fruit juices were a treat.

Dinner was also delicious. I did a fun chocolate testing with the chef which was only $18 and a blast. It comes with lots of treats including regular, local food. Another night, the chef knew I Ioved cerviche so he prepared a cerviche sampler of three types of shrimp. It was incredible and a treat.

Staff: They are lovely and helpful. They arranged a terrific tour of Otavalo. The tour guide Julio was fabulous. He went above and beyond including a private tour of a new museum. Wow!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Intrepidtraveler53
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This beautiful little hotel has to be one of the most elegant and comfortable secrets in South America. Located in the pretty but small historic area of Quito it is an oasis of calm and refinement with gentle, polite staff who are all obviously and rightly proud of the hotel. We only had one night there in transit to the Galapagos but it was a night we will remember, the staff and the gorgeous room made us feel very special and spoilt. If you are in need of some luxury and can afford to spoil yourselves then this is definitely for you/

Room Tip: Any - all perfect!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Penjn
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I recently stayed at this brand new hotel in downtown Quito. Its location, right in the San Francisco square is unbeatable. Moreover, the property itself is ideal for all kinds of guests, both leisure or corporate travelers, as it includes amazingly comfortable rooms within a very exclusive setting. I have stayed at many other hotels in Quito, and I dont know of anything that can even be compared to Casa Gangotena

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank ARB2
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Amazing venue overlooking the San Francisco church, the free high teas in the afternoon is a must and the food is top notch. The decor and the interiors of the rooms match the quality of top European hotels. I have travelled through Latin America and this hotel ranks first on many counts.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family