Casa Gangotena
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
Carlota(Quito)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshigh teabeautiful hotelmashpi lodgethe plaza san franciscoplaza view roomold townmarble bathroomrestored mansionluxury hotellocal fruitrooftop terracefresh flowersecuadorian cuisineturn down servicethree nightsloved this hotelfamily home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We spent four nights in total at CG - before and after a Galapagos trip. It was a wonderful time. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the ambience and decoration of the public areas has to be seen to be believed. It is a beautiful hotel. Our bedroom was beautifully decorated and the bathroom couldn't have been better - lots of lovely marble. The room looked out over the main square and the view was magical especially at night when the San Francisco church is all lit up. Quito itself was a delight and staying at the CG added to the brilliant experience. If we had any criticism it would be of service in the restaurant which could be slow even when there weren't many diners. However, given the excellence of everything else we could excuse this shortcoming. If you are going to Quito and want a top rate experience, stay here..

Room Tip: We had a superior room - definitely worth the money for the view over the square. Could be a bit noisy when there's an event in the square but vale la pena (worth the trouble
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhoslyn R
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Rhoslyn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in Casa Gangotena with the Trip Advisor community.
I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us , and I have taken note of your remarks about the service in the restaurant, your comment is very helpful and will be shared with my F&B team.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed for two nights over the Christmas break and were looked after excellently. The highlight was the party the hotel arranged for our daughter's birthday, which made the stay even more special and the service levels get full marks for the effort the team went to.

The only area where I think the hotel could improve is the dining room, which lacks any atmosphere. The lovely glazed atrium to the rear of reception would surely be a nicer place to eat and the dining area could be refurbished as the sitting area perhaps?

Beds are extremely comfortable and the roof terrace was a gem, once we discovered it. The hotel could perhaps do more to make guests aware of this and the superb teas, neither of which we knew about unitl our final day. Definitely the place to stay in Quito if your budget allows.

1  Thank chasm1

Dear Chasm 1,
Thank you very much for reviewing Casa Gangotena, and for your feedback on what we can improve.
I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding the dining room I agree with your observation that our dining room décor and ambiance can be improved, and for that reason I am pleased to tell you that we will do a complete remodelling of the space during this year, so to make this very important area of Casa Gangotena, more consistent with the rest of the hotel.
Wishing you all the best

Yours truly,

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

My weekend trip to Quito was unforgettably excellent.
This was my second trip to Ecuador after 12 years.
And it was the best hotel choice ever.
I can truly recommend CASA GANGOTENA because of its thoughtful staff, beautiful and clean room and delicious food at reasonable prices.
At the airport, I got picked up by German, who accompanied me to the van and explained to me Ecuador's economic development of the past 12 years.
A 50 minutes car ride has never been so informative and pleasant.

The staff were also very considerable and nice to my friends who came to pick me up at the hotel lobby every day.
My friends were also offered drinks and received a warm welcome although we didn't expect this.
Thank you, Casa Gangotena. I appreciated this very much.

When I suddenly felt a headache coming up, the concierge quickly gave me 'mate' herbal tea with compliments of the hotel.

Furthermore the receptionists were competent, extremely friendly, helpful and fast, even in carrying out requests given to my situation (I had to stay one more night due to a problem with Copa Airline who were giving me a hard time! I referred to the receptionists and shared my trouble. For Casa Gangotena no problem at all. They quickly relocated me into another room in the same category and helped me in printing off documents related to my problem with the airline).

A special thank you to the hotel staff, concierge, portiers, receptionists and room maids for my wonderful three nights at CASA GANGOTENA.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Benji_Suiza
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear sandagirl_82

Thank you very much for your kind words, and for sharing the highlights of your experience in Casa Gangotena with the Trip Advisor community, I am very happy to know that your transfer from the airport was also an educational experience! and I hope that the issues with your airline where finally solved. Reading a comment like yours not only makes me prouder of my team, but also creates a stronger compromise for us all in delivering a service of excellence.
Once again thank you very much!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Despite arriving very late at night after a 1 hour drive from the airport our group of 8 were greeted by 6 (!) very friendly staff with welcome drinks and sandwiches, and very efficiently shown to our beautifully appointed rooms overlooking the famous central plaza in Quito.

Casa Gangotena is an historical landmark in it's own right, with a fascinating history and beautiful interior. The hotel does not have many amenities per se, but it is superbly run with truly exquisite service and is quite frankly, faultless.

The breakfast buffet was copious and the restaurant was staffed by very friendly waiters and waitresses. There is also a rooftop balcony with stunning views over the city.

One note of interest...Ecuadorian law prohibits serving alcohol with meals on Sundays after about 3pm. You can only bypass this by ordering room service.

If you want to see the old town this is as good as it gets and a far better intro to Quito than any of the international chain hotels that are in the newer part of the city. We loved it,

Room Tip: You must get a room overlooking the square....this is a National Geographic view!
2  Thank NeilOakshott
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Mr.Oakshott

Thank you very much for your kind words about your experience in Casa Gangotena, there is not greater accolade for us all than receiving a review like yours.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights prior to a trip to the Galápagos Islands. Very comfortable room. The staff were so polite and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast selection was excellent and the afternoon tea a must! Highly recommended.

2  Thank susan b
Southerner057, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Susan B,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Casa Gangotena oasis  with the TripAdvisor community.
Wishing you a 2014 full of joy, health and success