“Amazing Hotel!”

Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing Hotel!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. It's in the heart of the city and so beautiful, clean and comfortable. Plus, since it's not too safe for tourists at night, it's a great place to have dinner (delicious!) and relax.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bhaber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Tampa Bay
Reviewed 15 June 2014

On a recent two night stay in Quito we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Upon our late arrival, we were met with fresh sandwiches and tea. We were then given a personal tour of the hotel (it is only 3 floors). We checked into our rooms and we could have thought we were in a hotel in Rome or Paris. The rooms were large and had tall ceilings along with large windows that opened on to San Francisco square. The staff were very attentive. The food in the restaurant was very good as well. Breakfast was included in our stay. We hired a guide and were able to walk to two Churches and several other squares. The location is in "Old-Town" Quito.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank RuffinItTampaBay
Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I agree wholeheartedly with all the wonderful words of others in praise of the Casa Gangotena in Quito. I just want to add two personal examples of their dedication to exemplary service and to making their guests feel that the Casa Gangotena is their home away from home.

I stayed at Casa Gangotena five nights last year and on three separate nights at the end of May 2014. When I arrived for my first night's stay this May, along with the agua fresca welcome drink ,I was given a ticket to the lovely pre-columbian museum around the corner, the Casa del Alabado. However, I was also advised that the museum was closed but would be opened just for me. I don't know if this was done because a concierge realized that I would not be checking in early enough for my next two scheduled nights to be able to see the museum and he or she remembered from last year's visit that I was sorry that I had missed the museumt or, perhaps this was a courtesy extended because I have been their guest for a total of 8 days. Whatever the reason, I was very pleased to accept this thoughtful gesture and I thoroughly enjoyed my museum visit.

Early on my last day in Quito I requested a late checkout. Since my room was booked I was given another room and since I was going out, they staff moved my luggage while I was gone and when I returned at 5:00 pm I was told that I could take all the time I needed in the new room they had assigned to me. Moreover, they even allowed me to benefit from the tasty complimentary high tea service despite the fact that the usual checkout time had passed and I was not paying for this night. In fact, I was allowed to have the room until I left for the airport at 8 pm!

Without a doubt, the beautiful and elegant Casa Gangotena and its amazing staff are the stars of the hotel universe in Quito.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank N S
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Casa Gangotena for 3 nights. This is truly a beautiful hotel, very centrally located. Excellent service. There is a terrace on the top floor that provides delightful views over the city at night. We dined in the restaurant all three nights for no other reason than it is fine dining and we didn't want to go anywhere else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Excellent stay in very best of comfort, service ,cleanliness, and location. Beautiful orchids and roses on all side tables .around the Hotel. Beautiful marble bathrooms--large and spacious Wonderful view of San Francisco Square at night from the 3rd floor terrace. We have stayed on two occasions now and would only stay there if in Quito in the future.

Did not use pool or fitness centre

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quiet. We liked 1st floor rooms. Had no problems with A/C noise on the 1st or 2nd f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter S
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was our second trip to Quito and instead of a brand-name hotel in the 'burbs, we booked this boutique hotel in the historic area. The service and rooms were wonderful. We had a room on the second floor overlooking San Francisco Square. Even though we were woken up by city staff pressure washing the pigeon poop off the square in the wee hours of each morning, we thought the view of the square and the luxury of the hotel were wonderful.
We had a lunch-time ceviche cooking demonstration....tasty! And we had dinner in the hotel's restaurant...excellent. The included breakfast is great too.
You are walking distance to many of Quito's best sights and in the heart of the action when a march/demonstration goes by. I wish I knew more Spanish so I could fiqure out what the marches are about :-D

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room if you do not wish to be woken up by pressure washing noises!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hooke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in Casa Gangotena - having read the reviews, I may have been expecting too much.
The hotel is certainly stylish, at least the public spaces are. My bedroom, although spotless and functional, was drab and old fashioned, and the single glazing made sleep difficult when there was any outside noise from partying locals or thunderstorms. The most annoying thing throughout the hotel was the lighting, which was mainly from ceiling lights - very few wall lamps and no table lamps that I could see, certainly not in the bedroom. This gave the hotel a hard, cold ambience totally lacking in charm or soul. The service was impeccable, though.
The location is also somewhat of a compromise; it's within walking distance of all the cultural and architectural wonders of Quito, but, as my guide advised, 'do not turn left out of the hotel - it's a no-go area'!

Casa Gangotena may be Quito's own version of 'luxury', so I wouldn't dissuade anyone from booking here - just don't expect the same levels of luxury and ambience as in other major cities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo