“location, location, location !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Ecuador

Hostal Ecuador
Ranked #70 of 254 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Brisbane
“location, location, location !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

Short walk to all the main icons of old town including being a 3 minute walk to Al Rondo, the happening street for music and restaurants. My room was huge, the building very charismatic.
The staff were super helpful with their limited English...even helping me get a better seat on my flights.
Breakfast was just the Ecuador norm. Security was great. The only down side was the bathroom had not one single hanging hook for your clothes.....you must hang them on the floor!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

The Good:
Great location very near historical Quito and restaurants.
Staff friendly just not knowledgeable about getting things done around city.
Nice old building.

The Bad:
The price. We stayed in three different places in Quito the cheapest being $20 and was fine. For price not much of a step up at all.
Not all rooms look like that advertised on Expedia. We certaintly didn't get some facilities in photo such as tv.
Breakfast was ok. Nothing special but for price I was expecting a higher standard than a typical hostel brekky. Had eggs but was only a small step up with double pricetag of other hostels around Quito (obviously not so close to town though).
The Ugly:
Rooms noisy - you'll hear everything going on. Fortunately wasn't too busy when we were there but one guy did leave at 1am for a flight and we must have heard everything.

You'll find better value around town but if hard pressed this place is ok.

• Stayed April 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

We had booked a room with this hostal and they were to meet us at the Quito airport at 9 pm on March 7th. Noone was there!! we were left high and dry. We called their mobile number and noone answered. There is no excuse for this lack of service. We had a very stressful time on our first night in Quito, thanks to them. We did have a confirmation from Dante.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank joedy13
Dante70, Manager at Hostal Ecuador, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Customer, we sent a cab driver to pick you up in the new airport but he told us that he didn´t find you so decided to return to Quito again, we are really sorry for that. Best Dante
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I was so impressed by this hostel. The renovated interior of this historical building is very elegant and comfortable, and the location is perfect for accessing the museums, churches and all the sights of the historic downtown. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, answering all my questions about points of interest, bus and train line locations and schedules, etc. etc. knowledgeably and with great patience of my poor Spanish. I felt completely at ease leaving my valuables in my room while I was out sightseeing around town, and in the storage locker when I took day trips away from the City. I will come back to Hostal Ecuador every time I visit Quito in the Future. Thank you so much to all the staff at Hostal Ecuador!! See you next time!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Caleb H
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Good:
- staff are very friendly and helpful. They can also speak English.
- secure. I left my backpack during my trip to Galápagos. When I came back, everything was still there in my backpack.
- clean. And if you find that the bed sheets are not clean enough, the staff will immediately change them for you.
- hot water is available 24 hours a day as the pot is at the reception. You can make your tea / coffee at anytime.
- the hostel manager gave me really good recommendation regarding my Galápagos trip.
- the location is excellent.

Hesitate:
- single room is not en suite. Hostel.com gave the wrong information.
There are 3 rooms on the ground floor. One is a single/double bedroom, one is a twin room for the staff (I heard) and one is a four bedded room. All rooms don't have a bathroom inside. There is one bathroom on the ground floor.
The hostel manager told me the bathroom is for me. It is right next to the single / double room. I didn't really buy it because as long as the bathroom is not inside my room, it is shared. The truth is when I was the only guest on that floor, I have exclusive right to the bathroom. When the ground floor is fully occupied, I had to wait in the morning. Imagine, there are so many people taking a shower in the morning and there is only one bathroom. Even if you don't want to take a shower in the morning, you have to wait to brush your teeth.
I really hope the hostel can rectify the information in hostel.com and tell the guests the truth.

- they charged me one extra night (I stayed there for 3 nights but they charged me 4) but I didn't realise it when I paid (the hostel manager kept telling me 4 days and so I had to pay for 4 days). I only realised it after I left. That was my mistake too. Make sure you check your payment and bill all the time.

- airport pick up costs USD20 but if you take a taxi to and from the airport, it costs USD8-10. I don't really recommend using their pick up service. It is way too expensive.

- noisy
People walking around, banging the doors, taking a shower, and the door bell ringing at midnight - all can be heard very clearly inside my room.

- wifi signal is weak inside the room.

- apart from the Galapagos tour, other tours recommended by the hostel manager were expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MC_HKG
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

$22 a night for single room with adjoining spacious bathroom. Hot water and good pressure. Very comfortable bed, wardrobe, bedside table and lamp. Had great sleeps here even with the usual noises you associate with this type of building. Breakfast included of eggs, juice, bread roll, fruit and unlimited tea and coffee (also available all day / night on DYI basis. Free WIFi was strong in sitting area and available (but lower signal in room). 2 computers for use as well Inc uploading of photos etc. Website states WIFI until 12pm but always able to access after that. Left bag here while went to Otovala and nothing was ever a problem for the staff. Good security with locked grill at front and then main locked doors - always answered when buzzed. Short stroll to Grande Plaza and La Ronda restaurant strip pretty much across the road. $6 taxi to cable car and $5 to New Town. Airport transfer $15. A great safe comfortable base to see the Old Town. Streets felt safe (with the usual precautions) and a big police presence on every 2nd corner directing traffic. Not a lot of night life but taxi to New Town if needed. Great value for money and more than happy to sit out a few extra days here awaiting a Galapagos trip. A nice family feel operation.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MJS1966
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We visited Ecuador in May and stayed at the Hostal Ecuador for several nights before and after the Galapagos. It was both quaint and inexpensive. The manager Dante was incredibly helpful to us, picked us up at the airport upon our arrival, and even recommended a driver/guide for the road trip that 4 of us took through the Andes after our return from the Galapagos. One member of our party was injured in the Galapagos and, upon our return to Quito, Dante and his staff changed our accommodations (at no extra charge) to make things a little easier for the injured person. The Hostal Ecuador is located in the Old Town and close to many sites. We hope to return to Ecuador again at some point and would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family