“Awesome hostel, brilliant vibe”
Review of Community Hostel

Community Hostel
Ranked #1 of 259 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Awesome hostel, brilliant vibe”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We were shown our room and it was huge!!! We had a giant comfortable bed and pillows and so much space we could have swung several cats tied together end to end and still had room to spare. Everything is immaculately clean and top end furnishings more in like being at home. It's very friendly with great meals if you want to eat in and a big table everyone eats around and shares travel tips and stories. Staff are friendly and helpful and mainly travelers themselves... All have perfect English.
The very best bit about the hostal though is the free walking tour. Ovi gives a funny, factual and diverse tour covering history, food, and crafts. You visit the beautiful buildings, the lively markets, a trafitional Quito sweet shop, tour the woodwork shop of a master sculptor and get a description and tasting of yummy yummy fine chocolate. A brilliant intro to the city.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Switzerland
Reviewed 26 October 2013

If I could give a 6 mark out of 5 for the Community Hostel, I would do it.

This small hostel is located in a quiet area near to the historical center of Quito. All the staff is very friendly and very efficient.

The whole hostel (rooms, common areas, bathrooms, kitchen) is brand new and spotlessely clean. The common bathrooms and huge and luxurious. The common area es friendly, with a balcony and a nice view on the historical center of Quito. The amtosphere is relaxed and welcoming. The hostel life is perfectly organised (information panels with different activities for each day of the week, free walking tours of the city, food tour, movie nights, etc), you can sign up for dinner if you want and the breakfast is absolutely lovely. The staff pays attention to every detail (recycling, cooking, etc). Free coffee, hot water for tea and filtered water. Big drawers under the beds that you can lock by key, plus storage space inside the dorms.

Frankly, this is luxury quality for a very cheap price !! I can only recommend you to stay at the Community hostel. And I recommend you to book in advance because it´s very successful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Great food, beds, towels, vibe. Really friendly and helpful staff. Some drawbacks: we witnessed a street mugging in what is a dangerous part of town and the morning traffic jams outside woke us up at about 5.30 each morning.

Stayed October 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 9 October 2013

When I choose a place to stay, above all I care about cleanliness and the subjective sense of comfort I get from staying there. In both respects, Community Hostel was great, and as a bonus you really do have the "community" aspect. I stayed there altogether for about a week, and as soon as I arrived I felt right at home. That's really the thing that stands out: here I was in the capital city of a new country and I was staying somewhere that made me feel like I was right at home. The staff is great, the mix of other travelers was great, and the facilities are definitely very nice -- much nicer than you would expect for a hostel. The downsides that they're very aware of are only having 2 bathrooms, and in the evenings the WiFi is slow. I believe they're going to be adding at least another restroom, but I'm unsure if there's anything they can do about the internet (it may be an issue with providers they have access to). Still, I didn't find either of those to bring down my overall impression of my stay at CH. I highly recommend it; I'm very careful about where I stay and checked out a number of other places, and I just don't think you can do any better in Quito!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This hostal is excellent. Staff and guests are all so friendly. The staff will answer any questions you have and the whole place is so inclusive - there are activities every night for guests, plus a fantastic free walking tour of the Old Town, and there is the opportunity to book on other tours as well. As a solo traveller I felt very at home here. The beds are so comfy! Bit of a wait for the bathroom in the morning so get up early! Breakfast and dinner are both available too and are delicious. Don't bother staying anywhere else!

• Stayed September 2013
Marco_FQuito, Owner at Community Hostel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review! It was a pleasure having you around and becoming a part of our family!
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I arrived in Quito to study Spanish and after a couple nights in Community Hostel, I knew that I wasn´t going to leave. What sets this place apart from your regular hostel is what it promotes in its name. Community Hostel promotes an atmosphere that brings travels together so they can share experiences, travel tips, safety concerns and make new friends to join on future travels. The staff at the Community Hostel help foster this environment by being helpful, accommodating and catering towards their guests needs that span beyond their stay in the hostel.The hostel and bathrooms are cleaned daily, there are multiple areas to relax in and it is conveniently located in the beautiful Old Town UNESCO World Heritage site very close to key public transit stations for getting around the city.

The staff even made me a cake for my birthday!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
HI J-rock!

thanks so much for the review, we are so happy you got to stay with us and always know that "mi casa es su casa"
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

The best hostel in Old town area (if not all of Quito; I have stayed at secret garden and colonial house). Perfect if you're traveling solo; giant community dining table makes it very easy to meet people. Great breakfast option every day. Only downside is that it is far from nightlife.

• Stayed September 2013