“best Hostel!!”

Ranked #1 of 259 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Berlin, Germany
“best Hostel!!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Instead of 2 nights we stayed 5, because the atmosphare, the stuff, the food and the rooms are sooo good, friendly, clean!! Highly recommended!! Best beds and showers since 3 months!! Family Atmosphare, easy to meet people, great walking Tour!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at this hostel with a big group of students, and the staff did an incredible job of being attentive to our every need. The breakfast was AMAZING and definitely worth the cost, which is actually very fair. Dinner food was just as delicious - if only they served lunch as well!

The staff was very friendly, helpful, and readily accessible to answer all of our questions - not just about Quito, but about Ecuador in its entirety. Also, Omar the driver is super reliable and will make your trips with him very enjoyable!

I would stay here again and again. Have traveled quite a bit and this is by far the best hostel i've been in!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Community hostel initially as a 1 night stay and very quickly organised an extended stay in this hostel. Our room was clean, sunny, plenty of storage and warm. Community hostel is in such a great spot in the Old Town Quito and walking distance everywhere in the Old Town.

What really sets this place apart is the friendliness of the place. The staff go out of their way to help you and ensure your stay in Quito is fantastic!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The people who worked at the hostel were very helpful, and the overall atmosphere was very comfortable. The community areas are a great place to hang out and meet new people. There is also a great view of the mountains from the hostel. The neighborhood is a little sketchy at night, but it's easy to arrive in a taxi (taxis are extremely cheap and safe in Quito). Overall, the location was very central and accessible to public transportation. Also, there is a great bar with micro-brew beers across the street. The breakfast is great, and so was the coffee that is always available. There are only two bathrooms, but they are big and very clean. The beds are also some of the most comfortable for a hostel.

The only thing that I found weird was that there were not always Spanish-speakers working at the hostel. I arrived with my boyfriend from Colombia, and this was a little awkward that the girl who gave us the initial tour of the hostel would not even try to speak Spanish. If you need to speak English, this could be ideal. If you want to practice your Spanish, not so much.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hostel and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Community Hostel impressed me right from the start. I made several enquiries via email before I made my reservation and received a response with all the answers I was looking for within a few hours. This is very rare in South America standard.

My inbound flight arrived in Quito very late in the evening so I asked for the pick-up service. Although it's slightly more expensive than getting a cab from the airport, it saved so much hassle. Omar the designated driver is very friendly and helpful (his wife also came along. She's such a sweet lady.). The check-in procedures were deferred until the morning after so I can go to bed right away. The hostel made sure that Omar passed along all the key information I need for the night.

In general, everything is very organized at the hostel. The staff are more knowledgable than the short term volunteers (there are at least a couple of them), but everyone is friendly and tries to help.

I really like it that the hostel offers a variety of activities, (e.g. Free walking tour, Wednesday night out at Bungalow 6, wine tasting night, etc) so solo traveller like me can meet other people easily. Special shout out to Karla and Ovi for making the night out to Bungalow 6 a night to remember! My biggest regret during my stay at the hostel is that I missed the free walking tour with Ovi. Everyone, (literally everyone!) was raving about it. For that reason alone, I will come back.

Did I forget to mention how comfy the bed is, how spacious the dorm room is, and how amazing it is that the shower is hot and water pressure is great?

As mentioned by a lot of the reviewers, there were only two washrooms in the entire building. The hostel finished building a third while I was there so that definitely helps.

After staying at over 30 hostels all over Latin America, I have no reservation to say that Community Hostel offers the best experience and bang for your buck!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Felicity_ssimo
Marco_FQuito, Owner at Community Hostel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
HI!

Thank you soooo much for that awesome review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and please do come back for the Free Walking Tour Ecuador/ Quito with Ovi!

We did and finally are so happy to let everyone know that we finished our new bathroom and it is super nice!

We always take into consideration our guests reviews and try to improve on them! thanks again!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I really liked staying at Community Hostel! Breakfast is not included in the price but is worth the extra $2 - it was always a lot of food and always good. The communal dinners are a nice way to meet other travelers and even when the food wasn't phenomenal it was worth the $5. Loved my room. The only drawback to this place is that there is only one bathroom (one toilet, one shower) per floor - two in the whole place. This was sometimes a problem in the morning. The internet was also not reliable - sometimes very slow, and sometimes just not working at all. But I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Irvine, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Great hostel! Wonderful staff -- so helpful and accommodating. This place feels more like a home, than a hostel. Beds are sturdy, no creaking and disturbing your neighbors in the dorm rooms. Delicious, healthy home-cooked meals ($2 breakfasts, etc.), next door to the Mercado Central where you can get try wonderful, authentic foods and fruit... walking distance to the historical sites..... Really, the best hostel in old town Quito. Great location! So much better than the Mariscal -- you can go there anytime, but this is real Quito. (Hostel Team: You are the best! We were a group of 10, and you managed all our requests gracefully. We appreciate it, thank you so much !!!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends