“Hotel good, restaurants not”

JW Marriott Hotel Quito
Ranked #10 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Hotel good, restaurants not”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

The rooms are comfortable and quiet - with windows that open. However, the dinner food in the Mexican restaurant and Lobby Bar was very poor --we tried beef, chicken, enchiladas, and fish with the only winner a Club Sandwich in the Lobby Bar. On the up side, the breakfast buffet is quite good and the front desk service is excellent - efficient and friendly. We stayed here before and after a Galapagos Island cruise - three nights total.

Room Tip: The elevators are tricky -- you have to hold your "key" to a pad, then press your floor nu...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel as arranged by my private tour company in mid-late October. I was there two nights prior to and one night at the end of my tour. All three nights were top-notch experiences. Others have mentioned the high quality of the rooms, lobby, amenities,etc. with which I agree. I would like to add a special experience that added to my high rating. I ran into an issue with my private guide and being unable to contact the company. It was early evening and the concierge made every effort to assist me throughout the evening. I cannot praise his positive attitude enough and appreciated his ongoing assistance.

My one negative comment would be about the woman taking your name when entering the breakfast buffet area. The buffet and service were outstanding. But this woman was there my first two mornings. She was most disagreeable. She did not look up at me and curtly asked for my name. No greeting, no welcome. The second morning was worse. There were very few patrons in the large dining area but she told me to wait. I did for no less than 4 minutes and finally asked her why I could not be seated. She did not respond and continued with her head down on her so-called paper work. A waitress heard me and took me to a seat. I noted a gentleman entered as I was sitting down and the woman who was so rude to me smiled, spoke to him, and showed him to a seat. This woman, in my opinion, should not be working in the public areas of the hotel. My third morning there, there was a different woman and she was most gracious and more indicative of the services I had been receiving at the Marriott.

I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend the hotel. But if I had a rude encounter with the woman at breakfast, I would immediately ask for the hotel manager.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Rochester NY
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

I am writing this from the comfy bed in our junior suite. I would highly recommend this clean and very friendly hotel with great accomading staff. Very close to bars and resruants. Quito itself was pretty dirty and not really for me but this hotel was really nice. We has dinner in the steak house here which was also excellent and the lounge on the executive level with complimentary breakfast was great with omleta to order. Free wifi. Honestly...picky Americans should not even consider another hotel in this town is what I noticed after a 3 day stay and many tours.

• Stayed December 2012
Tracy, California
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights (as part of a Celebrity Cruise tour) before going to the Galapagos, and again for 1 night after returning from the Galapagos. The hotel is very modern, very bright and clean. The rooms we used are very spacious, very large bathrooms with seperate shower and tub. Very nicely decorated, with a fresh rose and chocolates delivered each night. We found all staff to be very gracious and helpful and the breakfast buffet was extremely good with a large variety of fruits, pastries, hot foods and cooked-to-order foods. Internet wi-fi fee was very reasonable, $10.00 for a 12 hour period, and was fast and reliable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I picked this hotel for the same reason I pick most hotels. It was among the most highly rated hotels for Quito. I was not disappointed as this hotel is modern, spacious and has all the amenities one would expect for a top rated hotel. The rooms are quiet, nicely decorated with fairly large bathrooms. This is also a convention hotel that has some fine shops and restaurants as well as a beautiful outdoor swimming pool. My only complaint is having to pay for Internet access.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Our flight from Atlanta, Georgia, USA was delayed and thus, we got into Customs and Immigration late and stood there for over an hour. By the time we got to the hotel, it was almost 1 AM although our check in time was noted at 11:59 P.M. Our initial encounter with the front desk person started on a sour note. He was not friendly. I gave him a copy of my reservation confirmation and I told him that Marriott had our credit cards on file since my husband and I were both Marriott Rewards members. He wanted us to sign a bill without the amount written on it to make sure that the hotel got paid if we used the telephone and or got something out of the bar in the room. My husband told him to write the amount but he would not. We told him that we would not sign a blank bill. He finally agreed to put the total amount of the bill. We reassured him that we would not use the telephone (we brought 2 mobile phones with us) and we would not take anything from the bar.
Prior to coming, I had received an e-mail from the Pre- Arrival Coordinator, Ms. Ana Rueda. I responded to her e-mail and specifically requested a room in an upper floor away from the elevator, even though, that was already on my Marriott Rewards profile.
We were assigned to Room 621, right next to the Main elevator. Then, when the bellman and we approached the room, a lady from the next room was screaming and panting very loudly. This went on contiuously while we were about to go in the room. My husband and I both asked for a different room. There was no way that we would stay up another night after traveling from overseas.
We knew that we made the night front desk receptionist angry by not signing his blank bill and he wanted to get even with us.
We finally got a room on the 5th floor at the end of the hallway. It was peaceful and quiet. Our bellman did not come back to give us our new keys. We had to get them after breakfast the next day.

Our room had 2 queen size beds with soft pillows. Towels were of good quality. There was a safe, flat screen TV set, a small refrigerator, ironing board, flat iron, coffee pot, an oval bath tub and a glass enclosed shower. They made good use of space in
the bathroom. At night, a fresh rosebud was left in the room. What a nice gesture!
We were impressed with the fresh flowers (mostly roses) all over the lobby and the restaurant. Breakfast was good with a lot of varieties of fruit, cold cuts, bread, even tamales and Dim Sum. The service at the restaurnant was friendly and efficient. Carolina, the receptionist, was friendly and jovial. So were the other staff there. I met one of the evening housekeeper who was nice although she did not speak English. I spoke with her in my halting Spanish.

Given a chance to go back to Quito, I will stay there again. I hope that I do not encounter the same night shift front desk clerk.

I would have given this review a perfect rating if it were not for the bad treatment at check in and some delays at check out.

Room Tip: Do not get intimidated by the front desk clerk at check in. Do not ever sign a blank bill!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Monrovia, CA
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This Marriott is a great choice for a Quito hotel- not too far from the airport, and in a nice neighborhood. Get a room on the executive level and you'll be happy- free internet, snacks, and a very nice breakfast. The decor is a little old-school, but in a fancy and refined way. The staff could not have been friendlier, from arranging a last-minute car service to upgrading our room. The room service, while expensive, was very tasty. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Go for the executive floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple