“Short stay before the Galapagos”

JW Marriott Hotel Quito
Ranked #11 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed here Dec 23-25/2012 before our tour of the Galapagos. We were very happy with the room. Spacious bathroom. Firm beds. Check in and out was very friendly and efficient. There was a rose waiting on our bed. I believe there is a nightly turn down service but we had a do-not-disturb sign on the door. We had access to the executive lounge which I found to be so beneficial. A complimentary breakfast was offered there and we were pleasantly surprised by the choices. There were eggs made to order, some fresh fruit, cheese, croissants and smoked salmon among other items. Drinks were available throughout the day, including bottled water. The executive lounge also offered hors d'oeuvres and desserts during certain times. When we inquired about taxis from the hotel concierge to the city, the rates were more than taxis we hailed ourselves. However, the concierge was willing to call a driver for us (we provided the driver's number from the day before) and he had no problem making the connection for us. I did not have time to go into the pool, which looked lovely, but my husband and our son said it was very warm. I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,695)

Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott in Quito for three days prior to my Galapagos cruise and for another day following the cruise. The room was very comfortable and quiet, the staff for the most part were extremely friendly and helpful and overall it was just a lovely place to unwind at the end of each day following an all day tour of sights just outside of Quito as well as following my 8 day Galapagos Island cruise. I especially loved the small touches such as the ladies coming around to the room in the evening and presenting me with a beautiful red rose and also the small chocolates individually wrapped which I found on my bed when I returned at the end of each day. I have only one complaint and that was the food issue. I am vegetarian and on the first night after a long day hiking up most of the Cotapaxi volcano, all I wanted to do was to relax, eat something and watch a bit of TV. I called room service, explained to them very nicely that I am vegetarian and ordered a pizza with pineapple, mushrooms and onions (they state on the room service menu that you can pick any three items), 45 minutes later a pizza arrived with pineapple and ham. I tried to explain to the room service folks that I could not eat this as I am vegetarian but they just did not seem to understand. I had to go down to the front desk and tried to explain it to them as well. they said that they would take care of it and 45 minutes later I had another pizza with the toppings I had ordered, an apology from the hotel restaurant and their promise to not charge me for the pizza (which they honoured). But a couple of nights later I again ran into the same issue when I ordered a baked potato with grilled vegetables and again explained to the woman on the phone that I was a vegetarian and did not eat any meat at all. The baked potato arrived precut with sour cream, cheese and bacon bits on it so again I could not eat what they had provided me with and again I had to go down to the front desk and explain to them that I could not eat the dinner that had been brought to me. but aside from these issues, my stay at the JW Marriott was very pleasant and I would recommend this hotel to others overall.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank travelnut58
Edison_Riofrio, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Dear guest we would like to thank you for the valuable feedback you are giving us.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

I booked a executive club king room. The description indicated that there was a view of the mountain with a terrance. Apparently, the terrace is just a small extention of the room. The windows did not open and you could see the mountain if you put your head flat against the window and looked right. The bed was nice but there was not a duvet/comforter, which made sleeping a little uncomfortable with just a thick sheet. The bathroom and rest of the room was very nice and spacious. The bath salts and products were also very nice. The executive club room was worth the waters, free wireless, and a free beer during happy hour but a waste for everything else. The food was of poor standards, mostly cold or old. Most of the time they could not keep up with the demand for food so there was nothing left out. Half of the time the staff was nice and helpful. The other half they ignored people and were no where to be found even during busy food presentation times. Our room was not on the same floor at the executive club, it was incovienent if you wanted to bring something back to the room. The concierge was unhelpful at times and moronic. Turndown service only occured 2 out of 5 nights, a small issue but we had to call down several times for towels and toilet paper. They were very resposive when we did make requests, but should not had to. Room service and food in the restaurants were good. Drink prices very high.

Room Tip: We had room 1024. Not really a mountain view but it was spacious and nice. No street noise. Executiv...
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed in the Marriott several nights (across stays) during our recent trip to Ecuador. Quito was a transition point between the Andes, Amazon, and the Galapagos. Being a platinum member, it was great to be in a place which took care of you -- the room, the staff, and the executive lounge (with free meals!) was perfect -- everyone was courteous, the free meals delicious.

My real gripe is with how they totally take advantage of you as a tourist -- first and foremost, the taxis that you take from the Marriott and easily 40-50% more than if you just walk down to the street level and get a cab. And, there are plenty of taxis -- esp the legitimate ones with the numbers on the door. We came from the airport several times and we paid $7 -- on the final trip home, we just decided to use the taxi from the Marriott (since we had luggage, etc) and they charges us $18 -- it was absolutely ridiculous! We also asked them about a trip to Mitad del Mundo (granted, it is a bit away from the center of town) -- the local buses will get you there and back for less than a $1 (yes 1 dollar), but the Marriott charges $75. I mean, really? We ended up finding a cab that agreed to take us for $40. Finally, they "recommend" that you don't walk anywhere -- they ask you to take their pricey cabs -- we ended up walking to the artisan market and around old town and during the daytime, it was fine -- lots of police walking the streets -- never did we feel unsafe.

I travel a lot and when people take advantage of me like this, it really bothers me, hence the review :) I do recommend the hotel for their rooms, food, staff, etc -- just don't ask them for any tourist advice unless you want to get ripped-off.

1  Thank going2somewhere
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Seemingly well-run hotel with for the most part helpful staff and clean rooms. Well decorated, but it still has the feel of one more chain hotel in any city in the world. There are more interesting hotels in Quito for example Hotel Patio Andaluz that will give you more of a feel of Ecuador. We do not recommend the Mexican Restaurant in the hotel -- average food and we experienced exceptionally poor service from one of the waiters when there were few people in the restaurant. The hotel has its own drivers and for $15 per hour you can tour the city -- our driver, Jorge was excellent.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

The rooms are comfortable and quiet - with windows that open. However, the dinner food in the Mexican restaurant and Lobby Bar was very poor --we tried beef, chicken, enchiladas, and fish with the only winner a Club Sandwich in the Lobby Bar. On the up side, the breakfast buffet is quite good and the front desk service is excellent - efficient and friendly. We stayed here before and after a Galapagos Island cruise - three nights total.

Room Tip: The elevators are tricky -- you have to hold your "key" to a pad, then press your floor nu...
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel as arranged by my private tour company in mid-late October. I was there two nights prior to and one night at the end of my tour. All three nights were top-notch experiences. Others have mentioned the high quality of the rooms, lobby, amenities,etc. with which I agree. I would like to add a special experience that added to my high rating. I ran into an issue with my private guide and being unable to contact the company. It was early evening and the concierge made every effort to assist me throughout the evening. I cannot praise his positive attitude enough and appreciated his ongoing assistance.

My one negative comment would be about the woman taking your name when entering the breakfast buffet area. The buffet and service were outstanding. But this woman was there my first two mornings. She was most disagreeable. She did not look up at me and curtly asked for my name. No greeting, no welcome. The second morning was worse. There were very few patrons in the large dining area but she told me to wait. I did for no less than 4 minutes and finally asked her why I could not be seated. She did not respond and continued with her head down on her so-called paper work. A waitress heard me and took me to a seat. I noted a gentleman entered as I was sitting down and the woman who was so rude to me smiled, spoke to him, and showed him to a seat. This woman, in my opinion, should not be working in the public areas of the hotel. My third morning there, there was a different woman and she was most gracious and more indicative of the services I had been receiving at the Marriott.

I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend the hotel. But if I had a rude encounter with the woman at breakfast, I would immediately ask for the hotel manager.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo