“Front desk service need to be improved”
Review of Swissotel Quito

Swissotel Quito
Ranked #11 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Austell
“Front desk service need to be improved”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Front desk service need to be improved, they need to learn the magic words used in most of the high class hotels
the room are nice
the restaurants are nice
the location are really nice
nice choices for eat

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Directora V, Director General at Swissotel Quito, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your opinion and suggestions about our Hotel, we will consider all of them to improve our services.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I just returned from a work trip to Quito and the reservation was made by my company. The hotel is in a good neighborhood with the possibility to walk to shops and restaurants. The staff is nice. The rooms are comfortable, but very dated. I especially resented the toilet that required me to bend down completely to push the flush button, which does not sound like a pleasant idea and it was not. The cleaning staff could use some additional training - the alarm clock rang at midnight the first night I stayed, so I disconnected it at that time to return to sleep (was not in the position to figure out that gadget at midnight). So the next morning the cleaning staff plugged the alarm back again, which I did not notice and thus was woken up at midnight again by the same alarm - very annoying. There also was a phone in the lobby by the elevators which rang both mornings that I stayed at this hotel - the first morning someone responded right away, but the second - it rang for good 2 minutes at about 6:30 AM. I am not sure at all why would a phone be ringing in the lobby and it was a surprise to the Front Desk too. I must comment that the breakfast was excellent - anything you can think of really was there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I'm writing this sitting in the reception of this hotel. This being my second stay within two weeks. I first visited the hotel to find that there was no booking made for me (not necessarily the fault of the hotel). As a single traveller who was obviously upset that to arrive in a strange country and find no transport or accommodation booked I was greeted with, 'we're full but if you pay $230 dollars we can find you a room'. I paid the due amount and asked (actually pleaded) with reception staff to inform me as soon as a member of the booking agency arrived at the hotel. This never happened so first thing in the morning I went back to reception and asked if anyone had arrived. I was advised that there was a note on my room for the agent to contact me, again no communication. I waited in reception and by chance met the agent who had no information about me either from the tour operator or hotel. Luckily he sorted the situation but had no apology from the hotel that my request had been ignored.

This is now my second stay at the end of my trip. As my flight is not due to leave until 21:30 the tour leader asked if they could extend my check out time. Again was told it will be looked into and I would be contacted, this didn't happen. I asked again this morning if I could extend my check out but was told the hotel was full. I have since spoken to people on the same flight as me and who checked in after me and they have a room extension. I have now been sitting in reception for 2 hours and have a further 3 1/2 hours to wait.

This hotel is great as long as nothing goes wrong, don't expect any kind of service. I get the impression that this hotel is so popular they have become arrogant about giving their customers good service. I will not be staying in a swissotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank miss_spriggy1973
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2013

A beautiful hotel with all the amenities. Our room was enormous and the second bathroom was a complete surprise. The location was very convenient
to a trendy entertainment area of town. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.if you want to pamper yourself, this is a perfect spot.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Directora V, Director General at Swissotel Quito, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your opinion about our Hotel, we are very grateful that you spend a good time here.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

What a treat to walk into a hotel room, find a rose sitting on the bed, chocolates waiting to be devoured, taps that worked in the bathroom, good beds and not too noisy. We stayed at the hotel 3 different times while on our tour. The first time, we were at the hotel for 3 nights and each night were treated to the rose on the pillow and a chocolate to eat. We did have problems figuring out how to close the blind and another member of our tour group explained how to close it, but unfortunately not for the first night. The breakfast was excellent, and the lady cook who did the omelettes was very friendly and very helpful. She remembered us each time we came back to the hotel. You can get fresh squeezed orange juice, but it is not at the buffet, but instead brought around to the table. On our second visit to the hotel, after being at the Galapagos Islands, we were on the 6th floor. We did notice that this floor was noisier than the 7th which we had been on previously. Unfortunately for us, our neighbour next door must have fallen asleep with the TV on and we were kept awake having to listen to his TV for most of the night. On our third visit after being to the Amazon, we were on the ninth floor. Much quieter room as it faced the courtyard and gave us a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains. This room was the most tired of the three we stayed in and the bathroom tub and sinks could have done with being replaced as they were scratched and looked worse for wear. This was the one time where they forgot the rose and the chocolates and we had a very difficult time with our key cards trying to get to our floor. Once they were replaced they worked perfectly. We ate at the Sports Bar, Japanese restaurant and the Italian restaurant while staying there. We felt that the Sports Bar gave the best value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard. Much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Was nice, initially, to arrive at this hotel after a LONG 80 minute trip from the new Quito airport. However, I was soon uncomfortable with the surroundings, other guests and staff. It was all a little too upscale for me. Some staff were borderline condescending or snobby and one actually sighed audibly when I asked for assistance in the Business Center. The bellboy was almost incompetent when he tried to demonstrate the remote for the curtains and a few other room features – and we had a difficult time getting him to leave. However, the concierge went out of his way to confirm a day tour I had scheduled from home, but was unable to contact upon arrival.
Our room had been upgraded to a suite, which was clean, very comfortable and with tons of amenities, including roses left on the pillows. The view out the window was of a spectacular mountain side, but even on the 9th floor, traffic noise was apparent.
The hotel is across the street from a couple of nice restaurants, but try the Ecuadorian/Mediterranean restaurant in the hotel. I had the BEST soup I have ever had, there – the Brie and Caramelized Onion soup. Don’t miss the “complementary” breakfast buffet. It is the most extensive and delicious collection of breakfast food I have seen at a hotel.
The hotel also has a little mall of shops, with an ATM and reasonably priced café (with delicious French-style breads) on the ground floor. These close early – at 7PM, I believe. If you want to shop for a meal or other items, a LARGE, clean, busy grocery store is only a block down the street.
All the western style hotels are a great distance from the new airport these days, with only one route there. If there is a traffic accident or heavy rain, it can take 90 minutes to cover the distance. In July 2014 a northern route is scheduled to open and the airport transfer time should be improved.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Staff were very helpful. Excellent location. Great rooms well insulated from noise. However, the Price of a bottle of Evian at the mini bar and to launder a pair of pants are much too high compared to the local economy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Murray B
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your opinion about our Hotel, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit