“Nice hotel but perhaps not 5 star”
Review of Swissotel Quito

Swissotel Quito
Ranked #14 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very nice hotel with large rooms. Good buffet breakfast.

Poor location, nothing of interest nearby. Not within walking distance of historic district.

Room was noisy - you could hear the people in the next room quite clearly and they were not shouting but rather talking in a normal tone of voice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TurnerGolfer
Directora V, Director General at Swissotel Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your opinion and suggestions about our Hotel, we will consider all of them to improve our services.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I was picked up at airport with hotel car. Quick checkin upon arrival. Nice rooms but bathrool in need of renovation and upgrading in room 516. Very good breakfast. Concierge very good. I booked one day tour in quito including middle earth and i got the best guide ever

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Peter A
Directora V, Director General at Swissotel Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Reviewed 27 November 2013

On a group tour to Ecuador, Swissotel Quito was our base. What a wonderful surprise to enter the lobby and go "wow". Our room was spacious, comfortable, and indulgent with a rose on the pillow and chocolates on the turned down sheets. I wish we would have had time to use the pool/gym/spa facilities. They looked very inviting. Loved the breakfast, especially the fact that the waiter served your drinks, saving you time to eat more!
I will look for other Swissotels on my future travels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
1  Thank Upstatelakelady
Directora V, Director General at Swissotel Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your opinion about our Hotel, we are very grateful that you spend a good time here.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I have mixed thoughts about this hotel. It's clean, the rooms are great, the food was good but the service didnt live up to my expectations. Check in took nearly 10 minutes when we were the only ones in the lobby, the restaurant wouldn't let you take your coffee to go. Everything seemed very political. Overall the hotel is nice but I think next time I'll stay in old town.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Front desk service need to be improved, they need to learn the magic words used in most of the high class hotels
the room are nice
the restaurants are nice
the location are really nice
nice choices for eat

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I just returned from a work trip to Quito and the reservation was made by my company. The hotel is in a good neighborhood with the possibility to walk to shops and restaurants. The staff is nice. The rooms are comfortable, but very dated. I especially resented the toilet that required me to bend down completely to push the flush button, which does not sound like a pleasant idea and it was not. The cleaning staff could use some additional training - the alarm clock rang at midnight the first night I stayed, so I disconnected it at that time to return to sleep (was not in the position to figure out that gadget at midnight). So the next morning the cleaning staff plugged the alarm back again, which I did not notice and thus was woken up at midnight again by the same alarm - very annoying. There also was a phone in the lobby by the elevators which rang both mornings that I stayed at this hotel - the first morning someone responded right away, but the second - it rang for good 2 minutes at about 6:30 AM. I am not sure at all why would a phone be ringing in the lobby and it was a surprise to the Front Desk too. I must comment that the breakfast was excellent - anything you can think of really was there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I'm writing this sitting in the reception of this hotel. This being my second stay within two weeks. I first visited the hotel to find that there was no booking made for me (not necessarily the fault of the hotel). As a single traveller who was obviously upset that to arrive in a strange country and find no transport or accommodation booked I was greeted with, 'we're full but if you pay $230 dollars we can find you a room'. I paid the due amount and asked (actually pleaded) with reception staff to inform me as soon as a member of the booking agency arrived at the hotel. This never happened so first thing in the morning I went back to reception and asked if anyone had arrived. I was advised that there was a note on my room for the agent to contact me, again no communication. I waited in reception and by chance met the agent who had no information about me either from the tour operator or hotel. Luckily he sorted the situation but had no apology from the hotel that my request had been ignored.

This is now my second stay at the end of my trip. As my flight is not due to leave until 21:30 the tour leader asked if they could extend my check out time. Again was told it will be looked into and I would be contacted, this didn't happen. I asked again this morning if I could extend my check out but was told the hotel was full. I have since spoken to people on the same flight as me and who checked in after me and they have a room extension. I have now been sitting in reception for 2 hours and have a further 3 1/2 hours to wait.

This hotel is great as long as nothing goes wrong, don't expect any kind of service. I get the impression that this hotel is so popular they have become arrogant about giving their customers good service. I will not be staying in a swissotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo