“Worst Hilton experience ever. Only the bellmen saved the stay.”
Review of Hilton Colon Quito

Hilton Colon Quito
Ranked #22 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I am honestly still in shock at how awful this experience was, given that I'm a long-standing former Diamond-level Hilton HHonors member who still maintains my Gold level status. Because there is only one Delta flight per day into Quito from the U.S., our arrival was around 11:45pm. The Hilton Colon literally only had to deal with us for 10 hours because we were checking out the next morning and almost all of that was sleep time since we had been traveling so long before arrival.

Upon checkin, the desk attendant rudely accepted my certificate for the complimentary night stay I had arranged through Hilton Guest Service, grudgingly gave us our key and made it very clear he needed to know when we were expecting to leave the next morning. We were shocked. No "Welcome to Quito - we hope your stay is pleasant in our beautiful city" - just "What time will you be leaving?"

The bellman who carried our bags to the room was phenomenal - so kind, so welcoming, so pleasant, so helpful. The room itself was also lovely. The beds were very comfortable. Water pressure was amazing. All of this was exactly what we would have expected in a Hilton property of this price point. However, the second disappointment for this stay was that neither the executive lounge nor the fitness center had 24x7 access to get pure water which is critical for international travelers, especially at 10K foot elevation. In all the Hiltons I've stayed, locally and internationally, all have provided either filtered water dispensers or individual water bottles (or even soda) around the clock for those patrons with executive floor access. When we asked the front desk, we were told they were only open during breakfast and happy hour time frames but that we could certainly purchase bottled water instead. This is not at all customary for Hilton properties.

The next morning, we stopped for a quick breakfast on the executive floor which was fine. We knew we had to leave before the front desk ogre came after us. We were departing well before checkout time because we had actually planned to spend the entire day seeing beautiful Quito. The bell desk again was so wonderful to us. They helped us plan an extended taxi trip to various landmarks and were very kind to let us check our bags while we had our day of exploration. Then, I made the mistake of stopping by the front desk to return my key.

I was held at the front desk for at least 45 minutes while everyone told me that I needed to pay for my stay. I calmly explained that I had given the certificate for my stay at checkin so there should be no additional charges. I proceeded to be harassed by multiple front desk employees who first couldn't find the certificate, but then insisted they needed their managers because I still needed to pay. I was told that my certificate could not be accepted because I had not called the hotel first to let them know I was using a certificate. My mind was spinning wondering how this could have been a requirement or relevant for that matter. I explained clearly that I made the reservation through centralized customer service (hence the reason I received the certificate with clear printed instructions to provide it at checkin - I even provided the actual letter at checkin too) and that the Hilton rep absolutely did call the hotel because they checked specifically for me if there was airport transportation (not included). There were no other written or verbal instructions conveyed about needing for me to place an additional pre-call to the hotel. After nearly an hour, I finally told them this was ruining my day, that we had limited time to explore the city, and this was not at all acceptable customer service from a Hilton property and I was leaving before this cast any additional impression on Quito hospitality in general. At that point, I was allowed to depart.

Honestly, this was the worst hotel treatment I have ever received - especially at a property where I stayed less than 12 hours. I'm not sure what is happening with Hilton lately since I've had two negative experiences recently, but I'm about to be over it. My entire family supports Hilton Hhonors with linked credit cards, personal and corporate travel, etc. and I am really hoping things turn around to retain my loyalty to the brand before it's too late.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank SuburbtoSuitcase
HiltonColonQuito, Director de Recepción at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Madam,
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I was delighted that our bellman was helpful and pleasant and that you enjoyed your room; however, I understand from your review that there were some billing issues in regards to your past say. I can assure you that we never want to intentionally mislead our guests in any way and I sincerely apologize for this caused you any inconvenience. In addition, I regret that some of our staff was not attentive and you felt harassed. Please know that our main concern is to make every one of our guests feel well attended and provide the exceptional level of customer service you deserve.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. If you should desire to further discuss your bill in more detail, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.
Kind regards,
Bernardo de la Calle

Reviewed 12 December 2013

this is a good standard hotel in Quito, rooms good size , ( no in room fridge/mini bar but suspect they are fitting them as one of our group was woken at 10 pm asking if they could come in and fit fridge!) Cafe Colon provides good range of meals and service is good, although they do not understand the english desire to have milk in tea!Good range of breakfasts and eggs freshly cooked as desired.
Bar has good service and there is also a japanese restauarant .Yes it can be noisy from the roads til late evening but you are in the city centre so only to be expected, would certainly stay here again, one way system on roads means you can see the hotel but can still take 10-15 minutes to get to it due to traffic and 1 way system

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
HiltonColonQuito, Director Comercial at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Madam,

On behalf of Hilton Colón Quito I would like to thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Just to inform you that the fridge is available upon request of our guests since we want to be friendly with the environment.

Thanks for choosing Hilton Quito and please feel welcome anytime you come back to our city.

Greetings from latitud 0°

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was a very clean hotel with efficient staff and they were very friendly Our room 563 overlooked the park a nice touch was complimentary bottled water supplied in the room comfortable bed and powerful shower with shampoo provided breakfast was included a good selection of hot and cold dishes to satisfy most tastes.As we were part of an escorted tour we only spent three nights at the Hilton but in our opinion it was a good choice with all amenities one would expect at this type of hotel we had dinner at the hotel twice and as there were six of us we decided to share the wine three liked white and three red meals were good and we paid about $30 per couple including wine.

Room Tip: try to get a room on higher floor for a better view

Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your kind review left in Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to motivate and improve our service.
Thanks for choosing Hilton Quito. Please feel welcome any time you come back to our city.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Spent 3 separate nights here during a 2+ week Ecuador stay. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Helpful concierge. Great spot right on the large park and easy to walk anywhere. Surprisingly good sushi place too.

Overall, light on flavor, but really comfortable and did the job for us.

Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your kind review left in Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you had a great stay with us. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to motivate and improve our service.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel was extremely clean and modern. The service was excellent. We had a fabulous view of the park and the old town of Quito from our room. The breakfast buffet was huge and delicious - quite a contrast from the cheaper places we stayed in Ecuador

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Very good hotel with excellent service and standards. The rooms are large and very comfortable. Beds are nice and soft with lovely deep soft pillows. If you book a room be sure to book rooms on the higher level, so as not to hear the noise from the traffic from the road below.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floors and above
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Madam,

We very much appreciate your kind review left in Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to motivate and improve our service.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Had a really nice stay - can't say more about the concierge staff, they were amazing. not much character, could have been anywhere in the World, but a nice spot to start off - clean, safe and comfortable!