“Comfortable hotel, excellent and accommodating staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Colon Quito

Hilton Colon Quito
Ranked #20 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Comfortable hotel, excellent and accommodating staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have read some reviews with sub-par reviews on service and I am extremely surprised because my husband and I had a wonderful experience. The front desk service, bell staff, concierge and executive lounge staff were all great.

We stayed at this hotel on the front and back end of our trip to the Galapagos. We arrived very late at night, check-in was easy. The hotel is in a central location - across the street from a park, close to restaurants and a pharmacy. My husband is a Hilton Gold member and we were upgraded to a very nice suite with sitting area and bedroom. The bed was comfortable after the long flight, shower water pressure good, and there were complimentary "welcome" sushi rolls left in our sitting area...a nice touch. There was also complimentary bottled water, which some guests in other reviews said was not available. The next morning, breakfast in the lounge was very good. All in all, it was a pleasant stay.

We returned to the hotel after coming back from the Galapagos one night and I wanted to point out the extra service we received while staying there. On our last day in Quito, our flight back to the U.S. wasn't until 12:55am....basically the following day. Definitely posed a problem because we had a lot of time to kill. We had a nice breakfast in the lounge, checked out and stored our luggage at the hotel. We hired a driver to take us to Mindo for the day. Upon our return from siteseeing, even though we were checked out, the hotel staff offered to us use of the gym / spa facilities to shower, restore our luggage after we had changed, and let us hang out in the lounge for the evening until having to leave for our flight. I never handled a bag as they insisted on taking care of everything.

While this is somewhat of a business hotel, I found it to be consistent with the Hilton brand. It has a very good restaurant, comfortable executive lounge, spacious rooms, reliable service. I am glad we stayed here before and after our Galapagos adventure and would recommend it to any of my colleagues traveling to Quito.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AP_Phoenix
HiltonColonQuito, Director Comercial at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very pleased that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to motivate and improve our service every time. We try to surpass our guest´s expectations offering an outstanding service in all our areas and ambiences.
I take this chance to send you a best wish of happiness in this new year.
Thanks again and please feel welcome anytime you would like to come back to our country.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Polish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have just had 4 days stay in this Hotel. Everyone was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Sadly the drive to the airport took 1.30 mins not the best way to start your stay after a long flight. Once you get in your room and see the huge bed it is all forgotten. Sadly there was no mini bar ????, plenty of white clean towels. Bottled water replaced everyday, coffee/ tea making facilities ok if you liked dried milk. The restaurant Cafe Colon did a super buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, tastes to suit all. Lots of areas to use computers free of charge, charge of 10$ per day if you want to use in your room. Congeries were very helpful, if you wanted a taxi etc. do watch out though, when you are given a price,the taxi driver will try and sting you for more $. Rooms 757 and 255 were good.

Room Tip: 757 and 255
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dera Madam,
We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the city of Quito, first city to be named World Heritage Site.
Because we apply best environmental practices, we have taken out the mini bars but they can be placed upon request. I´m sorry if you were not informed about that.
Thanks for choosing Hilton Quito and please feel welcome to our hotel anytime you come back.
Happy New Year from the middle of the world!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I am honestly still in shock at how awful this experience was, given that I'm a long-standing former Diamond-level Hilton HHonors member who still maintains my Gold level status. Because there is only one Delta flight per day into Quito from the U.S., our arrival was around 11:45pm. The Hilton Colon literally only had to deal with us for 10 hours because we were checking out the next morning and almost all of that was sleep time since we had been traveling so long before arrival.

Upon checkin, the desk attendant rudely accepted my certificate for the complimentary night stay I had arranged through Hilton Guest Service, grudgingly gave us our key and made it very clear he needed to know when we were expecting to leave the next morning. We were shocked. No "Welcome to Quito - we hope your stay is pleasant in our beautiful city" - just "What time will you be leaving?"

The bellman who carried our bags to the room was phenomenal - so kind, so welcoming, so pleasant, so helpful. The room itself was also lovely. The beds were very comfortable. Water pressure was amazing. All of this was exactly what we would have expected in a Hilton property of this price point. However, the second disappointment for this stay was that neither the executive lounge nor the fitness center had 24x7 access to get pure water which is critical for international travelers, especially at 10K foot elevation. In all the Hiltons I've stayed, locally and internationally, all have provided either filtered water dispensers or individual water bottles (or even soda) around the clock for those patrons with executive floor access. When we asked the front desk, we were told they were only open during breakfast and happy hour time frames but that we could certainly purchase bottled water instead. This is not at all customary for Hilton properties.

The next morning, we stopped for a quick breakfast on the executive floor which was fine. We knew we had to leave before the front desk ogre came after us. We were departing well before checkout time because we had actually planned to spend the entire day seeing beautiful Quito. The bell desk again was so wonderful to us. They helped us plan an extended taxi trip to various landmarks and were very kind to let us check our bags while we had our day of exploration. Then, I made the mistake of stopping by the front desk to return my key.

I was held at the front desk for at least 45 minutes while everyone told me that I needed to pay for my stay. I calmly explained that I had given the certificate for my stay at checkin so there should be no additional charges. I proceeded to be harassed by multiple front desk employees who first couldn't find the certificate, but then insisted they needed their managers because I still needed to pay. I was told that my certificate could not be accepted because I had not called the hotel first to let them know I was using a certificate. My mind was spinning wondering how this could have been a requirement or relevant for that matter. I explained clearly that I made the reservation through centralized customer service (hence the reason I received the certificate with clear printed instructions to provide it at checkin - I even provided the actual letter at checkin too) and that the Hilton rep absolutely did call the hotel because they checked specifically for me if there was airport transportation (not included). There were no other written or verbal instructions conveyed about needing for me to place an additional pre-call to the hotel. After nearly an hour, I finally told them this was ruining my day, that we had limited time to explore the city, and this was not at all acceptable customer service from a Hilton property and I was leaving before this cast any additional impression on Quito hospitality in general. At that point, I was allowed to depart.

Honestly, this was the worst hotel treatment I have ever received - especially at a property where I stayed less than 12 hours. I'm not sure what is happening with Hilton lately since I've had two negative experiences recently, but I'm about to be over it. My entire family supports Hilton Hhonors with linked credit cards, personal and corporate travel, etc. and I am really hoping things turn around to retain my loyalty to the brand before it's too late.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank SuburbtoSuitcase
HiltonColonQuito, Director de Recepción at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Madam,
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I was delighted that our bellman was helpful and pleasant and that you enjoyed your room; however, I understand from your review that there were some billing issues in regards to your past say. I can assure you that we never want to intentionally mislead our guests in any way and I sincerely apologize for this caused you any inconvenience. In addition, I regret that some of our staff was not attentive and you felt harassed. Please know that our main concern is to make every one of our guests feel well attended and provide the exceptional level of customer service you deserve.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. If you should desire to further discuss your bill in more detail, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.
Kind regards,
Bernardo de la Calle
Scunthorpe, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

this is a good standard hotel in Quito, rooms good size , ( no in room fridge/mini bar but suspect they are fitting them as one of our group was woken at 10 pm asking if they could come in and fit fridge!) Cafe Colon provides good range of meals and service is good, although they do not understand the english desire to have milk in tea!Good range of breakfasts and eggs freshly cooked as desired.
Bar has good service and there is also a japanese restauarant .Yes it can be noisy from the roads til late evening but you are in the city centre so only to be expected, would certainly stay here again, one way system on roads means you can see the hotel but can still take 10-15 minutes to get to it due to traffic and 1 way system

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HiltonColonQuito, Director Comercial at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Madam,

On behalf of Hilton Colón Quito I would like to thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Just to inform you that the fridge is available upon request of our guests since we want to be friendly with the environment.

Thanks for choosing Hilton Quito and please feel welcome anytime you come back to our city.

Greetings from latitud 0°
cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was a very clean hotel with efficient staff and they were very friendly Our room 563 overlooked the park a nice touch was complimentary bottled water supplied in the room comfortable bed and powerful shower with shampoo provided breakfast was included a good selection of hot and cold dishes to satisfy most tastes.As we were part of an escorted tour we only spent three nights at the Hilton but in our opinion it was a good choice with all amenities one would expect at this type of hotel we had dinner at the hotel twice and as there were six of us we decided to share the wine three liked white and three red meals were good and we paid about $30 per couple including wine.

Room Tip: try to get a room on higher floor for a better view
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your kind review left in Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to motivate and improve our service.
Thanks for choosing Hilton Quito. Please feel welcome any time you come back to our city.

je23
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Spent 3 separate nights here during a 2+ week Ecuador stay. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Helpful concierge. Great spot right on the large park and easy to walk anywhere. Surprisingly good sushi place too.

Overall, light on flavor, but really comfortable and did the job for us.

Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your kind review left in Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you had a great stay with us. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to motivate and improve our service.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel was extremely clean and modern. The service was excellent. We had a fabulous view of the park and the old town of Quito from our room. The breakfast buffet was huge and delicious - quite a contrast from the cheaper places we stayed in Ecuador