“Two Thumbs Down”

Ranked #18 of 110 Hotels in Quito
Clarington, Ontario
“Two Thumbs Down”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My mother always said if you have nothing good to say, say nothing. Sorry Mum but I have to share this one. We stayed here on our way to the Galapagos and one night on our way home. On arrival we asked for a higher level as we had previously read the reviews from others with the same tour operator stating that they are usually given the lower levels and it is noisy. I really don't think it matters, we got a higher floor because we were lucky to get the kind front desk lady, I was up the whole night with my severely ill husband and the sirens went constantly until about one then there were flashing lights the rest of the night.

We have friends in Quito so we went out for dinner. When we returned about one in the morning my husband woke up with severe food poisoning and it did not help that the toilet did not function well. Trying to keep him hydrating, scared and worried I went down to the front desk because we were running low on the water in the room and wanted to know what to do if we needed a doctor as Gravol was not working. The guy at the front desk advised me that the Doctor would come from the hospital for $65.00 plus tax, I told him that this was fine to contact him and then I enquired about the water. I was instructed to go to the restaurant where I can purchase water. Seriously, it is 4 am in the morning, I am worried sick about my husband and you are sending me to a restaurant that I do not even know where it is in the hotel, where they had to find the guy, whom I luckily had some money in my sweater pocket to pay. They then phoned the room to say they wanted to send an ambulance so they can run test. I told them don't as I would need to contact the insurance company. Even getting the call out to the insurance company was difficult so I used my cellphone and had them call me back at the hotel.

Long story short, there was no ambulance run. Later that day I ate at the hotel restaurant afraid to venture out and when the bill came I went to add a tip and they told me it was already included in the bill. We are there again later and it was also included. On our way home from the Galapagos we ate there again and when the bill first came to the table it clearly said Propina (Tip) and the amount. I asked to bill it to the room and he did not want to do this. So as all I had was a Credit Card with me I said I would pay with the Credit Card. Now the receipt comes for me to sign and the Propina is now marked Servicio and the waiter states it is not for him but for everyone. So I left an additional tip. The Hotel really needs to clarify this for Guests. Then went to the room to have a shower and found myself standing in water that was not draining. At that point I was just counting down the hours to get out if Quito.

I was really disappointed with this Hotel.

1 Thank BFBOOBIE
HiltonColonQuito, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Madam,

I'm so sorry for your poor experience this week at our hotel. Please be assured I will be discussing your comments with our management team to work on immediate improvements. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your stay are being taken very seriously. I would be delighted to be of assistance in this matter if you would like to contact me. Again, on behalf of the staff and management, I offer our apologies.

María de Lourdes Robalino
Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Polish first
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I spent several nights in this hotel. The Location is ideal -- Within a 45 to 60 minute walk to the center of Old Town
The rooms were clean, large, and what we expected. We had no problems with the hotel or the rooms. The breakfast was very good every day. The hotel was centrally located and the staff was very helpful in telling us how to get to the local attractions

Room Tip: We were on the side next to the main street next to the park. We had no problems and the noise was...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonColonQuito, Director Comercial at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay at Hilton Colón Quito and an enjoyable trip in the city. We will make sure to pass your comments to our staff in order to feel motivated and improve our service.
Thanks once again for considering Hilton Colón Quito, we hope that we can have you in your next stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

One of the best hotels I've stayed in. Was Fantastic in every way from the service, to the amenities, to the food, to the location, to the value for money. Great attention to detail throughout. Friendly efficient helpful staff. Was sad to leave.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel on either side of our Galapagos cruise booked with G Adventures. The hotel was everything you would expect: clean, good service, excellent breakfast included, wifi in the lobby, welcome drinks, central location. But, it lacked character as most large chain hotels do. That is my only complaint. I would to choose to stay somewhere else on a return trip but only because I like something with a little more character.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

We would like to thank you for your kind review. This will help us to improve our service and motivate to our staff.

We take seriously your comments and we will take actions to improve about your concern.
Once again we appreciate your time and comments, our main objective is to meet the needs of each of our guests beyond their expectations.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as part of the g adventures tours to Galapagos. The hotel was well staffed, clean and good as you would expect at places like this, but it lacked a good atmosphere but this is what I've been told to expect staying at a place like this.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeremy G

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Good central location with helpful staff. Very comfortable rooms with good breakfast available from 02.00. Lacking in local character, generic of large hotel chain. Free wifi only available in public areas.

Room Tip: The higher the quieter, lots of early road noise.
1 Thank Mandy T

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

After four days on a boat in Galapagos it was great to immerse ourselves in Hilton luxury. Friendly helpful staff, well laid out rooms free wifi and juice in the foyer made for a great stay. Easy walk to the attractions of the old city. We are not usually Hilton people but it was great to pamper ourselves.

• Stayed May 2014