“Rooms ok, service average minus for a tourist”

Hotel Dann Carlton Quito
Ranked #23 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Mill Valley, California
“Rooms ok, service average minus for a tourist”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

If you just need a place to sleep, the rooms are pretty typical of a business hotel: wireless Internet is good, no robes or other frills. Our small suite has good air conditioning: our son's room has none. But if you need it, service can be inconsistent to poor. I waited forever for coffee at the breakfast buffet, eventually going to the worker's station to serve myself. No concierge on Saturday. No free nottled water in the toom. No acess to a van for 5 people. When the concierge was here, she had no recommendation for a nail salon ( we're here for a wedding) other than to just go out on the street and look for one. Computers were down at the front desk when we arrived and still were down the next morning.

We've been lucky do far with the hot water in the bathrooms. Laundry and dry cleaning sent out at 11AM was back by 5PM on a week day.

In sum, we stay here for the hotel's proximity to our host's home, but I'm sure there are better hotels that are better values for a leisure traveler.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank MillValleyFoodie
Guidetoecuador, General Manager at Hotel Dann Carlton Quito, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thank you very much for letting us know about the things that disappointed you during your last stay with us, I´m taking notes of some helpful things you mention so that will help me to improve our service level. We at the Dann Carlton Hotel deeply care about the comfort of our guests; I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
St Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel in Quito which looks like it is new. Enjoyed my stay. Restaurant good for all meals and pretty well stocked bar. Good location and worth a visit. Beware of staying on 5th floor as gym is on 6th and they love noisy aerobics :)

• Stayed February 2013
Guidetoecuador, Manager at Hotel Dann Carlton Quito, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Just a short note to thank you so much for your kind words in your last review for our Hotel, your words encourage us to permanently continue to find the excellence in service and make our guest happy.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

This hotel was filled with roses all throughout the reception and public areas. Roses in all colours and many different arrangements. The hotel was reminiscent of 1930's splendour with beautiful winding staircases and great art work around. The room here was really comfortable and the staff were really attentive. The rea around the hotel is very clean and safe for walking and it is easy to get a tazxi to the old town which they will arrange for you. A really good experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
brno
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed for one night only. Suites look nice at first but when you look closely you notice that they are bit old. There is no air conditioning, fortunately opening your window is enough.Though you have to be really good sleeper as I am, because of the planes flying above you :) There was problem with hot water....cause there was none...for my brother....I got at least a little. Did not try food, the prices were ridiculous....USD3,99 for little bottle of Evian.But in walking distance there are some restaurants and also big shopping center so the location is nice.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pudlik
Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us, I sincerely apologize for the hot water issues during the night you and your brother spent with us, I have no further reports about hot water problems in other rooms, but I will make sure this won’t happen again to another guest.
Mtunzini
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

We stayed at Dann Carlton for one night on the way to the Galapagos Islands and for two nights on the way to Miami.
The first night we stayed there our luggage had got lost somewhere between Frankfurt and Quito so we only had the clothes we stood up in. The hotel had arranged to pick us up at the airport.
When we arrived at the hotel (late at night) I asked the receptionist if they had a shaving pack I could use. They said "definitely", but 'phoned me a little later to say they didn't have a kit available.
The problem arose when we stayed for two nights on the way out of the Galapagos Islands, en route to Miami.
We arranged a car to take us to Quito airport for our flight to Miami. We were happy to pay for the hotel car, but the receptionist insisted that the transfer was included in our hotel rate.
We confirmed this at least twice with the hotel reception before we left.
About 400m from the airport the driver (Louis) suddenly stopped at the side of a very busy road and told us in very bad English that we must pay him the fare. We stated that the fare had been already included in our hotel rate and that we had just confirmed this with the hotel a few minutes before.
Louis was adamant that we must pay him and refused to move. We told him to 'phone the hotel and sort it out. He refused to do this. What could we do? We had to make our flight so we paid him the $12 and he took us to the airport.
That same day I E Mailed the hotel to complain about the extortion of money and the effective hijacking.
The hotel took quite a few days to respond. They then stated that the transfer to the airport was not included in our rate and that we should have paid the driver. This is strange because when we originally arrived in Quito on the way to the Galapagos Islands the hotel picked us up at the airport free of charge. Also, bear in mind, that the hotel had categorically confirmed that the transfer to the airport was included in the room rate before we got in the car.
The worst part was that we were effectively hijacked by Louis and had no choice but to pay him the demanded fare. Why didn't he simply 'phone the hotel and sort it out?
Bearing in mind that we had spend more than $500 at the hotel for or stay I don't think that $12 was a lot to worry about.
The hotel's final response was that we should have paid the fare in the first place! Even though we had asked them at least twice if the fare to the airport was included in our room rate and they had confirmed "yes".
In the final analysis the hotel offered to refund the $12. I E Mailed them back and told them to donate the $12 to a charity and to let me know which charity. That was about three weeks ago and I have never received a response.
DON"T USE THIS HOTEL!!!
Our overall rating is very poor because the extortion by the hotel driver outweighs any other hotel benefit or facility.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mtunzini99
Guidetoecuador, General Manager at Hotel Dann Carlton Quito, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
With great surprise and attention I´m reading your review from the last time you stayed with us. I must apologize first of all for the unpleasant moment you had to deal with one of the taxi drivers in your way to the airport and for the delay of this response.
Ended during the permanence of the international airport in the city until few weeks ago, most of the hotels include the transportation from/to the airport within the room rates, so we did, but when I read your complain I can easily understand you irritation and probably would´ d react the same way, however I can also feel that this would ´d be so easy to prevent in order to make your stay as enjoyable as you deserve it.
Let me tell you also that although taxi drivers are not part of the hotel staff we are responsible for them in the face of our guests, I can assure you these issues are no longer happening not only because the airport now moved to another far location but also because we using another transportation company with a great professional service.
I hope I have the opportunity to host you again in the near future so I can have chance to change your perception about this particular service.
Washington DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in late. I paid $125 per night. When I first got there I was impressed with the hotel appointments. My bed was clean and comfortable. However, I tv romote did not work. I could hear the elevators move up and down all night. I could also hear people in the hall way as well as traffic noise from outside.
The food tasted bad and the price was ridiculous. 20-30 dollars for nasty food.
Room serves and restaurant people did not speak English at all which made it impossible to order room service.
I had to take a cold shower for 3 days because there was no hot water. I asked the front desk person, who acknowledged a problem with their water system, for a discount on my bill. He totally did not care. He made no effort to accommodate me.
I would not recommend that anyone satay here. Quito has many hotels that don't rip off their customers!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 684Travel_man31
Cuenca, Ecuador
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Our first room was very hot, the air-conditioning did not work. We went to the front desk and let them know. They said they would send maintenance. We went out to dinner and a movie and returned at 11:00 pm, nothing was done with the room it was still hot. I called the front desk they put us in another hot room. I put on the air and went to bed again the air-conditioning did not function the fan blew warm air not cold. By this time it was 2:00 am I had an early meeting so I was up at 5:00 am sleepless. I went to the front desk they said they would send maintenance I said what good would that do now, he shrugged his shoulders. Bottom line the desk managers are untrained, incompetent or UN-empowered ether way you lose as a guest. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business