“Very Nice Business Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Dann Carlton Quito

Hotel Dann Carlton Quito
Ranked #23 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Texas
“Very Nice Business Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is a very nice, and comfortable business hotel in Quito. Rooms were spacious, the staff extremely friendly and the food was pretty decent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a safe and modern location in Quito.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Guayaquil, Ecuador
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Good deal for the Price. Staff tries hard to help you. Very well located. Nicely decorated. Not recommendable to go with family, but perfect for a few days business trip. Located in the business and shopping district

Room Tip: The backside view is not nice. Ask for the the front view, to the Avenue
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Our room was very nice, great AC/Heater that kicks, constant and consistent hot water. Room had a nice television with tons of channels in both english and spanish (also had korean, chinese, and british news networks). The beds were comfortable and lots of pillows. The food is incredibly overpriced, though very delicious. And the stories about the noise are true -- so plan your trip accordingly so you can sleep heavily through it! Construction all around between early AM to late PM, and parties are definitely booked here. I was able to sleep through it just fine but if you're a light sleeper you may have problems!

The best part of the hotel is the staff, they are incredibly friendly, very well trained, and the most impressive staff I dealt with in the city. Definitely help you feel comfortable and are all multilingual.

Overall, four out of five stars.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was quiet enough to sleep on, any higher and you're closer to raucous parties any l...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Having stayed in other Dann Carlton hotels and having been very satisfied, I was not disappointed with my stay at the Dann Carlton Quito. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are larger than average, and the attention to detail is excellent. Breakfast is a fabulous buffet, one of the high points of the stay, actually! We were particularly impressed with the friendliness, helpfulness and honesty of the receptionists. Arriving at 1:00 a.m. after some delayed flights, we were half asleep and one of my colleagues left his Ipad at the check-in desk. The next morning when we came down for breakfast, not being aware of the missing Ipad, the receptionist informed us that they had found the Ipad, and they had security videos that showed it belonged to one of our party. This was just one of many details that impressed with this hotel. Excellent security and a good night's sleep. I would return here without a second thought when in Quito next.

Room Tip: From the comments of other travelers it appears that rooms on the higher floors may run the risk of...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Ningbo, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed with my son at the property for our family business trip. The hotel is very pretty, but it is not built to the standards of a luxury property. The construction is terrible with no sound insulation and the walls seem like they are are made out of rice paper. I heard doors slam all night, elevator is heard in my room when I stay several doors away, the walls vibrate sound waves from the catering hall parties maybe five floors away. Toilets are loud and keep running, too. I also hear guest next door as if they sleep in my bed! They hosted crazy drunk fraternity party during the night at mezzanine level and penthouse level at the same time. It sounded like a rock concert at all hours. They allow screaming noise until the middle of the night. This goes on until maybe 3:00 AM! Can't talk to front desk because phone line is so busy all night long from complainers. I hear many guests complaining in the hall, and even more guests complained in lobby and at restaurant next day. Nobody turns the music off! Management is poor quality to allow such bad noise as to disturb so many guests. Terrible hotel for anyone, I must move to hotel Sheraton on the same street to get sleep next day. Do not stay here unless you like disco party instead of sleeping, this hotel should not rent guest rooms if they want to be in loud party business. Many bad reviews below about noisy problems for very long time below.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lisa F
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I regret not paying closer attention to the Trip advisor reviews before booking my stay at the Dann Carlton Quito for the latter portion of my vacation in Ecuador.
I ‘d like to start by stating the Dann Carton is classified as a 5 star luxury hotel and I paid a $200 base rate which is considered extremely expensive in the Quito hotel market. I selected the property with the expectation that the company would provide me with a luxury experience and comfortable stay. Unfortunately, the hotel allowed an out of control private event to become so noisy and disruptive to have negative impact on a significant portion of its paying guests. I spent three hours going back and forth with the night manager asking him to enforce the hotels guest policies regarding noise complaints instead of sleeping. My experience was so outrageous and unacceptable that I feel compelled to warn other potential guests (both tourists and business travelers) before making the terrible mistake of booking this property.
The private event was for over 150 college graduates in the penthouse facility located on the 13th floor. At 10:30 PM, a DJ started the music at such a loud volume that I could not hear the TV in my room from 4 floors below the event room. I rode the elevator for a few minutes to locate the source of the noise and then contacted the front desk. I was promised a return call after making the report which was subsequently ignored. I went to the lobby to speak with the manager in person. I spoke with the night front desk manager, Mr. Manuel Diaz, and his associates Juan Pablo and Juan Andres. I asked the team to speak to the party coordinator and have them lower the music so I could sleep. I suggested that they might even determine an appropriate quiet down time so that me and other guests would be able to sleep. I suggested 11:30 PM or 12:00 AM as a reasonable time. Instead, Mr. Diaz wanted me to be accountable for the problem and requested me to pack and move at 11:15 PM so that he wouldn’t have to deal with the unpleasant task of confronting the hotel’s unruly event guests.
I refused the offer and told him it was unacceptable to me or any other paying guest to relocate at the hotel because of another guest’s unwillingness to respect the hotel noise policies. I asked him to accept responsibility and address the event coordinator and resolve the problem himself. I had Mr. Diaz and his associate come to my room to hear the problem firsthand. Both men acknowledged that my room noise was completely excessive and that they could feel the sound vibrations against the windows and walls. They stated the problem extended to all 32 guest rooms and public hallways located on floors 9 to 12, and we all acknowledged that the noise carried through to the lobby level when we rode the elevator together. While downstairs, both Mr. Diaz and his associates acknowledged that many complaints were phoned in from room guests throughout the evening. Mr. Diaz went upstairs and asked the event coordinator to lower the music, which they did immediately. He returned to my room and we agreed I could sleep now that the music was lowered. About 10 minutes later, the event guests willfully increased the volume even louder. Mr. Diaz and I spoke again, he went back upstairs and stated event coordinator didn’t care about the policy and she wanted to keep the volume louder regardless of the guest complaints. Mr. Diaz now stated that the he would monitor the party to keep the volume down. He stated that should the coordinator and guests continue to abuse the noise rules, he will exercise his authority as manager and shut the party music off. This promise was made at 12:00 AM. I gave him another half hour to address the unruly guests and fix the problem. Instead at our next conversation, Mr. Diaz confessed he choose to negotiate with the party coordinator and admitted he was intimidated by her and her group of 150 drunken graduates. Instead he posted a security guard at the event room that did nothing to abate the noise. Mr. Diaz ignored his managerial duty to enforce hotel policy and cancel the party. It was his responsibility to enforce the noise policy and create an environment that will allow guests to sleep in peace.
I don’t understand his refusal to fix the problem. If both he and the security team couldn’t handle the party, or if they were threatened in anyway by the drunken group, it was their responsibility to contact the police and have the group removed. Instead he allowed the noise to continue to the end of the event at 2:00 AM. When I confronted him at 1:20 AM, he was hiding in the front desk office and spoke through Juan Andres. I insisted that he come out of hiding and speak to me directly. I told his it was his ultimate responsibility to solve the problem and that I expected him to do so once and for all. He finally got on the walkie-talkie and signaled the security team to meet him on the 13th floor. In the meanwhile, I had the opportunity to speak with 4 staff members who told me this was an ongoing problem and that they all hold Mr. Diaz and the hotel management responsible for their unwillingness to enforce policy. Both front desk clerks admitted the noise was excessive and they received several complaints all night long. Both security guards stated to me that this always happens during events and that management refused to enforce noise complaints and they willfully make the paying room guests suffer and give preferential treatment to event guests. They all stated that this is an ongoing problem that has a serious impact on both guests and creates a negatively charged atmosphere in their workplace that doesn’t need to exist. I spoke with most of the guests on my floor as late at 2:00 am and they were unable to sleep as well and were outraged by the situation.
The bottom line is that he hotel should be in the catering business only. They prioritized the comfort of their event guests over the hotel guests and create a miserable guest experience for those sleeping at the hotel. They give a paltry excuse that because the city allows liquor to be served until 2:00 AM, renters using public facilities feel they can do whatever they want in that space. This reason is illogical since they are renting a private space.
Mr. Diaz made a conscious decision to sacrifice the comfort of 32 paying hotel guest rooms because he was unwilling to shut down the music on a group of drunken students. Apparently he is unable to handle the responsibilities of his job. Furthermore it is apparent that he has no support from the general management given the fact that these problems have been reported on Trip Advisor for a few years now. Dann Carlton is shameful to allow this kind of atmosphere in their workplace and they don’t deserve the support of their clientele should they choose to continue to operate in this manner.
In retrospect, I regret not paying close attention to the feedback of other reviewers which has been so valuable to meet when traveling for work and pleasure. After reviewing the member feedback, I saw extensive history of noise complaints with no remedy. It is clear that prospective guests should be fully aware that there is no guarantee of a peaceful stay at the Dann Carlton Quito location. I can’t believe a group drunken graduates was permitted to continue at excessive volume until 2 am in the morning while the property was sold out. Also of note, most guests were high paying tourists and corporate executives attending on site conferences. The guest roster included business travelers from globally recognized firms including Novartis, Glaxo Smith Kline, Pepsico, Claro Telecommunications, and Bureau Veritas Credit Services amongst others. In actuality, all guests were violated and denied the right to a proper night of sleep at the expense of a weak manager and a hotel that refuses to enforce simple policies of controlling unwanted behavior. It is clear the preference was to support and validate the behavior of rowdy party guests.
Nobody should be subjected to this kind of abuse when paying for a service. I stated my case here and I negotiated a $200 discount. Furthermore, I will forward this complaint to general manager Vladimir Carrera in Quito and the corporate team in Colombia. I hope that other guests were as forthright as I was and got a refund and got out of this nuthouse. Another event was planned for the next night again until 2:00 AM. As for the corporate guests, I am certain they will share their experiences with their own corporate events planners and recommend that this hotel be removed from their approved resource lists.
The whole experience was disgraceful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank biztraveller10016
Guidetoecuador, Gerente at Hotel Dann Carlton Quito, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear guest and Trip Advisor team:
It is very difficult for me, as General Manager respond to this hard complaint, all I can say now is that we´re deeply sorry for the ungrateful experience you had, during that last night you spent with us, Ended we have social events happening every weekend at the Hotel, mostly this time of the year, because we refuse to take events on week days preventing from corporate accounts or regular guests to be annoyed by music or loud noises. I understand that you had no complaints of our service during the nights before, however I know is my responsibility the comfort and service during the stay of all our guests at all times and I’d like to firmly enforce this, because we do all our best efforts every day trying to satisfy our dear guests, so far I can proudly say, we´re in the right track. I cannot apologize for my night staff, who tried very hard to solve and settle things out with both parties, but I must apologize with you for not been able to end the problem, this experience gives me a great opportunity to evaluate and find different methods to avoid this kind of complaints in the future with other guests, fortunately we had no other complaints that night what so ever. I really look forward to have the chance to welcome you in your next visit to our City, there will be no room charges and this will enable us to demonstrate why so many customers come back to Dann Carlton Hotel.
Cuenca, Ecuador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Having read a lot of the reviews, we kept our expectations in check, but were pleased to find a fairly well appointed hotel with helpful staff. While they don't have the rabid sense of urgency found in the States, they generally do want to help and do their best to meet any request you might have. I had trouble connecting to their WiFi, so they called their tech guy to get me set up. I had to wait 15 minutes or so, but he resolved the issue and I had no further problems. The breakfast buffet was immense and over whelming on the first day, but on the second morning, I was prepared for the abundance of selection and had a fantastic leisurely breakfast. The biggest downside of the hotel (for tourists) is its location. It's slightly outside both the new town and quite a distance from the old town. We walked it, but it might be a bit far for some people. Final point, they gave us an upgrade upon arrival and we finally got a king sized bed in a country that seems bereft of them...pure heaven!

• Stayed May 2013