“Good place to stay.”

Hotel Dann Carlton Quito
Ranked #19 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 2 March 2010

When I arrived to this hotel, I was impressed by the huge vase of roses at the lobby! It was pretty!
I found out that the hotel has two sections, one has rooms with a more classic style while the other is modern so if you have preferences for one style or the other, you can ask to have the room in the section you prefer but in any of the sections rooms are big and very comfortable.
The hotel is nice and well kept. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is excellent as well as the breakfast.
The location is also good, it's a safe residential neighbohood with a Mall reached by a short walking distance and several cafes and restaurants

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Marita-vacaciones

Reviewed 25 February 2010

The hotel is located in a nice part of town, it has a beautiful large lobby, a nice restaurant, casino and business center. We were upgraded for being travel agents to a suite, ample but bed mattress was too hard and bathroom was clean but dated.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights while doing business in Quito. Overall, I liked it and would stay again. Having said this, you should prepare yourself when you get to the hotel. I was lucky as my Ecuadorian colleague checked me in. He asked for top floor facing a school. I had room 1103.

The room itself is very nice. I had 2 double beds that's really comfortable. You also get free wireless internet with good speed and the lightening in the room is fine.

However, I gave this star only 3 stars because there were minor annoyances.

1. Air control setting has 2 buttons: "hot" or "cold". You can't adjust the temperature, therefore you don't know what temperature is hot or cold. In the "cold" setting I couldn't get my room cooler than 25C. I called the front desk & they sent a mechanic right away. He turned off the "cold" button and turned it back on. He then said wait 10 minutes. I told him I've had the "cold" button on for an hour already. However, I waited. After another hour, they sent a translator and the same mechanic back. The said they'll adjust the temperature to 23C, but the reality is in room 1103 you can't adjust the temperature. It was better to turn the air control off. Alternatively, there is a window you can open a little. This was nice as you can get fresh air.

2. While I was on the quiet side of the hotel and on 11th floor, the hotel is close to the airport and you'll hear them fly by.

3. Bathroom water pressure is really poor.
- When you turn the sink faucet on, it was like a sprinkler system. However, there's only 12 little sprinkles, but the pressure is high and when you wash anything, you end up spraying water all over the place.
- Shower facet was more like a trickle. I suppose they're trying to conserve water so if I look at it that way, I guess I can't complain too much. Overall, the bathroom is clean and good size.

4. Breakfast is excellent. There's good selection of fruit and juice. However, I agree with other reviewers that it can get a bit crowded. The hotel actually has another eating area across the hall from where the main buffet and eating area is. Even though the room where the buffet was full, the other room was almost empty. I don't think people knew there was another room as strangers were sharing tables to eat.

Since this was a business trip, I didn't venture out so I can't comment on that. However, the hotel is good and I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Good rooms, friendly service - all you'd expect from a business-type hotel. Two drawbacks though. On both nights I've stayed it's been noisy (there's a concert going on in the park outside right now) and the second complaint is that if the hotel is fairly full the breakfast facilities are inadequate. Queued sixteen minutes the first morning and seven minutes the second for breakfast. The location isn't bad other than it's quite a long way north of the old city which is the usual tourist destination.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank RichPickens
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel on four separate occasions during my 3 weeks in Ecuador. The rooms are large and comfortable and there is free wireless internet. It's only a short stroll down to Quito's major shoppping complex, Quicentre, which is handy for both shopping and budget eating.
A large buffet breakfast was also included and there were also other facilities, like the gym if you wished.
One time I did get a noisy room (the disco) but then the next time I came I asked for a quiet room and got a suite.
The staff were always friendly, and I frequently used the storage facilities

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank misspopeye
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed here top-and-tailing a Galapagos trip. It is more swish than we are used to, but tha'ts OK for the experience. The staff were excellent, as was the food. The location is a bit out of the way, but it is close to the Botanic Garden and Herpetarium and park, and taxis are cheap. It also seems to have a tower of rooms that face the flight-path, so on our second visit we were woken by planes going past our window. The second room also seemed to have no air-con control (no air-con?), but you couldnt leave the windows open because of the noise. The first room facing the school was great. Our friends had to asked to be moved from their room because of the noise from the discos downstairs, so if you get a noisy room just ask for a quiet one - there are some. We probably wouldn't go back, but not because it's bad, it's just not us. We preferred the Old Town at 1/3rd the price.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here before and after our trip to the Galapagos. What an absolutely perfect way to begin and end our trip of a lifetime.
We still can't believe how inexpensive this beautiful hotel is for how much it offers. The rooms are very spacious and incredibly comfortable. The service was wonderful. The concierge recommended Quito restaurants that still remain some of our favorite places to eat in the world. My husband and I travel quite a bit and forget most hotels we stay in unless they were extremely bad or extremely great. The Hotel Dann Carlton in Quito is one of those rare exceptionally great hotels that we have no reservations in recommending.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple