“Pleasant surprise!”

Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Arusha, Tanzania
“Pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was a little worried after a few negative reviews of late but I needn't have been concerned!

My friends and I took over the whole hotel except for one room for one night and couldn't have been happier with our stay!

The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was very good and the rooms and general decor were amazing!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zoom_Photo_Safaris
PAULA H, Manager at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Zoom_ Photos,

It was a pleasure having been a recent host to your entire family and all of us at MdA are sending you our best wishes for a wonderful continued
vacation in Ecuador.

Paula Haro,
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel is indeed a "Mansion of Angels!" I have stayed several times at this beautifully restored colonial mansion and it is becoming like a second home for me when I arrive in Ecuador. I know exactly what to expect and coming through the door I always feel an angelic presence within the walls and common spaces of this historical, and luxurious old colonial home. Walking into this beautiful building, I feel like I am being treated as royalty!
I am very surprised with the posting of the unfortunate experience encountered by one of the guests staying at this wonderful hotel and certainly is the opposite of any experience I have had while staying there.
Given the altitude and the fact that the new airport in Quito has not yet been opened, it is quite normal for planes from North America to land later in the evening. This has always been my experience when arriving in Quito, however I have found it most prudent to use the transfer service offered by the hotel itself for a very reasonable cost to get safely from the airport to Mansion del Angel with no difficulty. The driver is always there to meet my flight and it is so worthwhile to be greeted by someone pleasant after long flights and connections. Quito is a very large city and there are areas just as there are in any city, where one would exercise caution. A taxi is fine as long as the destination is clearly understood by the driver, but my recommendation is to use the hotel transfer service. One has to be aware that since not all taxi drivers have even a little comprehension of English, there can be possible difficulty by just giving the hotel name. Be sure to use the full name of the hotel: "Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel" since some other Quito edifices use the " .. del Angel" as part of their nomenclature.
The staff have always been exceedingly pleasant and incredibly accommodating during each of my stays--even late at night. And certainly I have never encountered difficulty having someone unlock the gate and front door for me at any time.
During every stay at this wonderful hotel I have enjoyed a very comfortable bed--a grand large bed with four posts and draping, fit for a royal chamber that is more than ample for me being a single traveller.
The rooms are appointed with beautiful antiques and antique reproductions befitting the era of the original colonial house. There is Direct Satellite TV and numerous choices for music on the system. I have stayed in several different rooms and suites in this grand old beauty and my suggestion for WiFi access is to enjoy the comfort of a beautiful old settee in the hallway adjacent the wireless router. Often while I have been working with email on my iPad, the staff come by and offer some warm complimentary tea which is so thoughtful. If you are fortunate enough to be blocked into a room on the second floor or the first floor right above or adjacent the wireless router, then there is no issue and you have WiFi in your room. It is a suggestion I have made to hotel staff that some booster routers be strategically placed in other locations however I recognize that in an old building of heritage preservation status only a certain number of things can be done to ensure the preservation is maintained.
When one stays in a building reflecting such history and regulatory preservation guidelines not only from City of Quito but I am assuming from UNESCO as well since the city is UNESCO Heritage Site, one should expect to find things characteristic of a heritage building. Creaking floors are not uncommon in many old buildings in Ecuador and Europe for that matter. It is part of the romance of staying in a heritage structure--not to find a room like you would experience in a "Hyatt" high rise tower. This carries through to plumbing where in an older building one could possibly sometimes be a bit concerned. At Mansion del Angel, given its age and the incredible restoration process completed by the owners, I have always been pleased to experience plenty of hot water, excellent flushing toilets and adequate drainage in my rooms.
In my estimation, the food and food service experiences at the hotel have been awesome. Again you feel like royalty when your courses arrive at table covered with a silver entree cover. I have an allergy to wheat and the staff have always been very careful to accommodate my needs at breakfast or any other meal.
And ... during my most recent stay, I was so pleased that the owners have opened a beautiful new spa in the back garden. This is a delight, as is the garden itself for someone who comes from the colder Northern climes. As one post indicates, it is a feature of chocolate and Christina is a gem. I have had a couple of spa treatments in the new spa and each was superb--the chocolate (which is the theme of Mansion del Angel) being the most enjoyable. Think--exfoliating chocolate all over your body that you can smell but can't eat!
In my estimation this is a superb choice of hotel for a stay in Quito and a worthwhile experience after a Quito arrival before a venture to other parts of Ecuador. I would certainly recommend this property to anyone looking for a place to stay in Quito.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Ernesto888
Ernesto888

Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to your stays with us. We are very happy to have fulfilled your expectations.

Paula Haro,
qwanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The hotel Mansion del Angel stood out as a sore spot on an otherwise spectacular trip to Ecuador. We booked the hotel because it was the #1 rated hotel on Tripadvisor at the time we made our booking and we wanted to stay in an old colonial mansion. This was our base in Quito for multiple trips (Amazon, Galapagos, Andes)

Among many things wrong with the hotel (1) not centrally located, which made it difficult for cab drivers to find (2) the doors were locked when we arrived from the airport past midnight, and we had to keep ringing the bell for over 30min before someone woke up (3) rude reception staff who refused to settle our prior to the day of departure, and held us up for 15min when we were leaving (4) the shower area was not properly sealed and we had an overflowing bathroom every time we took a shower (5) the view from our room was straight into the shabby house next door (6) breakfast that was mediocre at best (7) room with a creaky floor, an old bed and thin walls (8) music from both inside and outside the hotel could be heard in the room (9) spotty internet coverage - we had to sit in the lobby area to connect (10) a safety locker that was not functional (11) quite expensive for what we got.

On the plus side, they did store our luggage between our trips, called cabs when we requested them and recommended a reasonably good restaurant. Can't really think of much else that is nice. I find it unbelievable how so many people give such high ratings to this place - every other place we stayed in Ecuador as well as every other "colonial" house we stayed in other parts of the world were much nicer!

I rely on TripAdvisor extensively, but this is a case where it let me down badly. I am glad to see that the rating dropped from #1 to #7 now, and I hope my review will serve as a warning to future TripAdvisor members who are considering this place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank qwanta
PAULA H, Manager at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Qwanta,

We are disappointed that your stay on various dates in the latter part of December 2011 and early January of 2012 at Mansion del Angel was not up to your expectations. Naturally, we wish to extend our apologies. We fully understand that the first impression is generally the most lasting. Consequently, when you were not given the usual warm welcome which one expects to receive upon arrival and particularly after 1 AM, you made a valid point. Unfortunately, other inconveniences contributed to your dislike of the property. In addition, during the days of your stay the Municipal Authorities were working day and night in order to better the access street to our property and that involved a lot of undesirable noise.

What I do not comprehend is the fact that if indeed you were so disappointed with Mansion del Angel, its environment, poor service and staff why you remained after your first two nights for three different additional stays ? We would have completely understood your desire to depart and obviously would not have objected. And should you have made your complaints known to the staff while you were there, steps could have been taken to improve your experience immediately.

However, being a well seasoned world traveler relying on TripAdvisor, you must know that ratings are extended by YOU, THE CLIENT, without the influence of the establishment or TA. There had to be a reason that former clients extended their unbiased rating to TripAdvisor so it is most unfortunate that you now blame TA for having let you down badly, according to your own words.

We are aware of the fact that it is impossible to please everyone, but let me assure you that all of us at Mansion del Angel have the earnest desire to provide the best possible service, to improve ourselves where we have failed and hope that future clients will not be intimidated by your warning but make their own conclusions. Thank you for your attention.

Pahola Haro
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I travel to Ecuador almost every year to enjoy its culture, outdoor adventures and ease of travel, including its use of the U.S. dollar as its official currency. Almost without exception, travelers must overnight in Quito as they make their way to and from the Galapagos, the rain forest, or my favorite small hotel in the world, La Mirage, located 2 hours north of Quito in Cotacachi.

Mansion del Angel and La Mirage have the same owner, which is evident in the same attention to detail, excellent service and exquisite interior and exterior decor.

The Mansion welcomes you with an impressive facade which attracts sightseers. Inside its locked front gate is a quiet oasis with many amenities. I usually just want to relax after a long flight from my home or a visit to some remote camp or village. The new spa is a welcome addition; it is painted chocolate brown to visually advertise its spa treatments that incorporate chocolate and lavender in its offerings. Do try one; Christina is charming and eager to please. A chocolate theme pervades the entire hotel, since the cocoa bean is believed to be rich in proteins, antioxidants and minerals.

As I have toured Quito on previous trips, I am content to have dinner delivered to my room rather than going out. On my last visit, I ordered during check-in, and a delicious meal of salmon and risotto was delivered at the precise time that I requested.

The public areas reflect what this mansion looked like during its heyday; the second floor common room, the living area of the original owner, is especially colorful and elegant. There are 15 rooms of varying size and rate, which includes a full breakfast served in a room filled with a jungle of foliage and caged songbirds. Nearby, a computer is accessible to guests.

Though the Mansion has a website for information, Latin America Reservations Center (larc1.com) handles bookings for them and a few other upscale hotels and resorts in South America. I have used them for all of my 4 trips to Ecuador and can recommend Judy at LARC without exception.

Room Tip: Room 205 is a splendid suite, though the bathroom is sized more in keeping with those of a century a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear client

On behalf of the owner and the employees of both properties I take immense pleasure wanting to thank you for the fine comments which you have adorned Mansion del Angel as well as La Mirage with. We look forward to your return visit. Thank you very much indeed.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is a lovely hotel that is centrally located to great shops, restaurants, and the historical district. We selected this hotel based on other reviews, and we were certainly not disappointed. The hotel was our Quito base as we traveled to two lodges in the Amazon. The staff was very friendly, and the accommodations were fantastic. Our room was large with a spacious bathroom. We looked forward to returning to this hotel from the jungle to simply enjoy the hot shower. We were able to leave our luggage at hotel which enabled us to travel with just the essential items we needed in the Amazon. We had an early morning departure for home, and they arranged for us to have a small early breakfast which we really appreciated. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy H
PAULA H, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Kathy H.

On behalf of all of us at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel we appreciate your kind comments and hope to see you again on another visit to Ecuador.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel was a big old mansion formerly owned by an Ecuadorian elite family. It's entirely decorated with antique furniture, and it was lovely sleeping in a four poster bed. The staff even place hot water bottles into the beds just before bedtime so you sleep under blissfully warm bedsheets. The feeling in this hotel was a bit like being at rich grandma's house rather than a hotel. One thing I found a bit strange was the fascination with chocolate here - from the smell of chocolate potpourri when you enter the front door, to chocolate shampoo and soaps in the rooms, chocolate laden services in the on-premises spa, to a chocolate angel on your pillow at night. It wouldn't be good for anyone with scent sensitivities.

Breakfast left a bit to be desired, the fruit wasn't quite fresh, however, the eggs and bacon were well prepared to request. Meals are served in the main level atrium where there is an abundance of tropical plants and birds in birdcages.

Although it was an interesting experience staying there, we probably wouldn't go back a second time. That goes for Quito in general - it is not a safe city to walk in and we were recommended to take a taxi absolutely everywhere, no matter how short the distance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank renaissancewoman99
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We selected Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel as #1 Trip Advisor hotel recommendation. It is a very nice hotel with wonderful individually decorated rooms, very good staff and a great restaurant. It is located between the old town and La Mariscal, a very easy taxi ride to either, and most likely quieter than either. There is no elevator and many stairs but the only problem would have been at check-in and they quickly carried our bags up from the street and up to our room. We did not walk around the neighborhood (not much to see) and the hotel gate is always locked, but the staff quickly opens the door when you buzz in ( we had to wait once but it was mid-afternoon. You might have your taxi call on the way there at night). Dinner selections have to be ordered in advance but both breakfasts and dinners were excellent. We had a great New Year's Eve dinner at the Hotel.

Take the tour organized by the information center on the main square and guided by a uniformed police(wo)man. Inexpensive ($15) and excellent. Phone #: [--].

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple