“Quite enjoyable”

Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Quite enjoyable”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here for six days. Staff were all exceptionally nice and helpful. During the day, there were staff that spoke English, but the two young men who worked at night were not
fluent in English but did know enough that between their English and my limited Spanish we got on just fine. Our room was pleasant, beds were comfortable, and we had a nice balcony that would have been great if it had not been rainy. The continental breakfast, which is included in the room price, consists of a roll or croissant and some toast, juice, and coffee, but you can get additional items like eggs for a modest additional cost. The type of juice varies and it is not made with tap water, so it is safe to drink. You can buy bottled water from the hotel, but the best bet for getting bottled water is to walk to the Supermaxi supermarket which is about 1/2 mile walk. The hotel is on the edge of the Mariscal district, which has numerous bars and restaurants. On Thursday and Friday, and a bit on Saturday, we could hear the noise from the bar goers, police sirens, car noises, etc. There was no problem on other nights. There are many good restaurants nearby and we felt fine one night walking down the Avenue 6 de Diciembre to to the Ballet Folklorico, which is only ten minutes away and not to be missed. We walked everywhere including Old Town, but it is a pretty good hike to get there. We felt quite safe walking around the Mariscal in the evening and neither had nor saw any problems, but we did not stay out late. I would definitely go back to the Antinea.

Room Tip: If I go back, I would ask for a room that is away from the Mariscal noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Woodland, California
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel would have gotten a higher rating from me, except for two issues. Issue #1: The hotel itself is pretty nice except for room #5. It has a HUGE MOLD AND MILDEW PROBLEM! It smelled so BAD, that we had to sleep the first night with all the windows open and brave the cold coming into the room from the outside (we should have asked to change rooms immediately, but we had been up for 20 hours and just wanted to go to sleep). After we were able to change rooms, we were assigned room #4, which was basically the same nice room configuration WITHOUT THE MOLD AND MILDEW STENCH! Much better.

Issue #2: Someone tried to rob me about 50 steps from the hotel. Luckily he was by himself and not armed, so I was able to fight him off. I don't know if I should actually blame the hotel for this, but the location obviously leaves something to be desired. Most travel guides recommend that the Mariscal Area of Quito be avoided, but this was the hotel used by the tour we went on.

We had arranged for a taxi to pick us up the next day at 5:00AM. When I stuck my head out the hotel's front door, there was a cab at the cross street about 300 feet away, but not in front of the hotel. Because the cab was so far away, I didn't think it was for us, so I asked the hotel clerk to call us a cab. Just then a cab pulls up in front of the hotel. After we loaded our luggage and got in the cab, I asked the cab driver "if he was the cab that was on the corner?" He said "yes" I asked him "why he didn't wait in front of the hotel?" He replied "it's too dangerous."

Nice Hotel, but.....

Room Tip: Avoid room number 5 unless MOLD and MILDEW does not bother you. Avoid the Mariscal Area of Quito un...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fongball
Atenas, Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here two nights on two separate occasions and were very pleased with both of our large rooms, the helpful hotel staff and the breakfast. The hotel is a popular area for hostals, hotels and restaurants. Although we were not out late at night, we felt safe when walking about.
We did not experience the noise mentioned in some of the reviews and would definitely stay here again. It was a delightful find.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen T
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed 4 nights on 3 separate occasions. It was perfect for our family of 4 to get a nice, little apartment with a good breakfast and some of the nicest staff I've found in Ecuador. It's 3-star at best, but in a great location near all the restaurants and bars. That was also the downfall -- we had difficulty sleeping on Friday and Saturday night when a nearby bar cranked up the volume. Other nights were fine. All in all, I would definitely stay here again, but not on those 2 nights.

Every room is different. Some have very small showers and low ceilings. I call it character; others used to new, modern hotels might not like it so much. I enjoyed this hotel. The staff did laundry for us, held our luggage in between triips, etc.

Room Tip: Their most expensive apartment had the most room. It was the highest one, up a stairway.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MadeInFlorida
NZ
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I only stayed here for one night as I was just passing through Quito but I was happy with my choice; it was a nice hotel. I arrived late at night and they arranged a pick-up for me from the airport (I pre-arranged this with them over email prior to my arrival). The person on the front desk when I arrived at the hotel couldn’t speak any English and I couldn’t speak any Spanish but we managed to get by. The person on the front desk during the day spoke good English and she was very helpful – she gave me maps and suggestions on places to visit and organized taxis for me.

The hotel has lots of character and is in a nice area. The only issue I had was when I was tried to shower there was no hot water. I haven’t seen any other reviews that mentioned lack of hot water so this was probably a one-off problem affecting the whole area. The room was also quite dark but this wasn’t a problem for me as I really only needed a place to sleep and store my luggage.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is a good, safe, comfortable hotel in Quito. The hotel rooms are very comfortable, always hot water, clean with excellent services. The people in the hotel are very helpful. You can choose to have a light breakfast or a fuller meal starting at 7am. I highly recommend this gem centrally located in Quito. Nice people.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at Antinea Hotel for several nights at the beginning and end of our trip to Ecuador. The rooms were comfortable, quiet, and clean. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but I slept just fine. The staff were very helpful with directions and getting taxis. Breakfast was nothing fancy, but still good. English, French, and Spanish are spoken at the hotel.

I enjoyed the courtyard and also a patio that had hammocks. It was a nice place to relax and wind down after a long day of sight seeing. Also, location was very convenient to many eateries in the Mariscal neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple