“Cozy for a city hotel”
Review of Hotel Sebastian

Hotel Sebastian
Ranked #38 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 21 October 2012

During a two week trip natural history trip to Ecuador, we used the Hotel Sebastian as our "home base" for excursions to the high Andes and the Amazon basin. It's the perfect size -- not too big, not too small; the staff could not be more helpful or polite; food is very good (try the soups!); overall ambiance is pleasing to the eye and ear. All our rooms were spacious and had everything we needed (nice showers, too). We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a hotel. It has no personality. It is good for the business traveller or an overnight. The rooms are large and spacious. Be sure and state one or two beds. One bed big and great. Two beds looked very small. The hotel is very clean and there are beautiful floral arrangements in the lobby. The area is handy for walking but very very noisy at night. The restaurant is very average and the bar is really not. The staff are efficient but not pleasant and just want you out of their way. Would suggest tourists on vacation would have a better experience elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This hotel is class from the moment you enter until you leave. The decor is classic with beautiful floral arrangements everywhere. Excellent restaurant. The service throughout the hotel is without equal. Views from our balcony were breathtaking. After assorted hotels up and down the Andes we welcome luxury. This is were we will stay on our return

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I like to stay in older hotels, I dont want to feel like I'm in Toronto or L.A. when I'm in South America. The Sebastian has character to spare, and the staff were very attentive. We stayed there twice, once on the way into Ecuador and again when we were on our way out. Our first stay was fabulous, absolutely perfect, but the second stay we had a problem with partiers in the next room and the connecting doors and balcony doors eliminate any sound proofing that there may be in the walls. We spoke to the front desk and we heard them come up, but the noise only subsided briefly. We had a great view from our balcony. The water pressure was great and the restaurant was really good too. Love the staff! Wish the wireless internet was actually available in the rooms, not just the business suite.

Room Tip: Try to get a room without a connecting door if you are not adjacent to friends.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed 3 nights here recently in front of and at the back of our trip to the Galapagos Islands. Our group of 16 had to have 3 early mornings for flights and a day trip, and we were able to get a continental breakfast at 4:30am! Nice touch.
Our first 2 nights were weeknights, and very quiet. The last night was a Friday night and our room was on the street. Since the hotel is located near some nightlife, we had people on the street occasionally and traffic noise until the wee hours. I will request a back room next time.
Very professional and courteous staff throughout our stay.
We did eat dinner in the restaurant one night. Dinner was adequate and service was very good, just not anything to write home about.
Sebastian is conveniently located near some other attractions--the Mariscal Craft Market is a straight walk 6-8 blocks, and some good restaurants are nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a back room away from the street. Also, higher rooms will have less a/c noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have stayed at least a few nights on each of my five trips to Ecuador. This hotel is an European-style hotel with a restaurant, bar, lounge and business room. Room are clean and very comfortable and it is the perfect location if you want to visit some of the historical sites and museums of central Quito.

Restaurant for the inclusive breakfast will not leave you hungry and for dinner they do have very good food (but then with all the nearby fairly good restaurants you do want to get out and explore).

Staff is attentive and speak both English and Spanish, and I know I heard some German going back and forth. They were very responsive to my needs and questions and always gave me great directions on how to get around Quito. There is a cadre of the same taxis they seem to use and have never been disappointed.

They have been consistent in all of the above for all of my trips!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank slobird
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I spent two nights here after my original hotel in Quito was a bit underwhelming. They originally gave me a room on the 2nd floor, but I asked for a higher floor and they gave me on the seventh, a corner room with great views of the city. Staff is very friendly. There is a computer room in the basement where you can go online and print for free. I do not agree with other posts regarding noise. It was mostly quiet when I was there - on a Thurs and Friday night. During the day, however, there is some type of engine or generator below that keeps humming. Hot water takes a minute or two to get going, and the key card was tough to use. It took me about 10 tries each time. They arranged a good driver for me to take me to Cotopaxi and then to the airport. The restaurant has good choices for breakfast, though something upset my stomach a bit, but I can't be sure it was their restaurant. Location is good, five blocks from the infamous Plaza Foch.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo