“Charming, Cozy, & Clean on a quiet street with prices that are a little high.”
Review of Posada Del Maple

Posada Del Maple
Ranked #31 of 245 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We're about to check out of the Posada del Maple and have really enjoyed our stay. The hostel is on a quiet street with a plethora of other hostels. It's decor is charming with ivy growing up walls, many balconies and terraces, free wifi (that we were able to access from our room), a decent breakfast, and cozy lounge areas. We'd stay longer if the prices were a little more competitive, although, they aren't terrible.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 May 2010

I've stayed at a lot of hostels and this one has the most "character." It is charming with indoor/outdoor areas, patios, vines, lots of sunlight, etc. The breakfast in the morning is very nice and the best free breakfast I've ever had while traveling. The 1 internet terminal is usually occupied (especially if there is a group of traveling students staying over). It is slow compared to US broadband connections but faster than dial-up. The rooms and bathrooms are average. My shower on the second floor ran hot/cold. I always buy a shared room: once I was in a room with 7 other travelers, the next time I was in a room with 4 bunk beads all to myself. I didn't go out into the neighborhood much but two locals warned me against being on the streets alone around siesta times, 2-4pm (I am female). Kitchen facilities were great and current newspapers were available. The hostel has many "nooks" where you can get some quiet/alone time as long as it isn't too full. There are two TVs in the public areas.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank reiamii
Reviewed 22 May 2010

This is my second time in Quito, and would recommend this hostel for new travelers to the city. It is located in a safe part of Mariscal, and it is easy to catch a cab to other parts of the city. The hostel is very charming and clean, and offers a very nice included breakfast. The showers are always hot too! You can arrange to be picked up at the airport, though this service is a little expensive ($10). Cabs in Quito are cheap and this fee is a little overpriced. Also, the price listed on hostel websites is lower than what you will actually be charged (a difference of $5-10 or so).

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Stayed for two nights. Staff were really helpful. Breakfast is great with REAL coffee (means alot to me). In a lively and heavily policed area with lots of good places to eat. Theres a artisan market nearby which is very touristy but has some nice things if you are buying presents. Free internet and cosy rooms. Nothing amazing but good, simple accomodation.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artvoid
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This Hostel is really nice and I recommend. Breakfast is included in the price. The cost is about 30.00 a night for 3. I stayed at Maples with my 15yr old daughter and her father. The room was simple yet clean. I was worried I'd be cold but found that their blankets keep me warm. There was hot water at all times. There were a few common areas which I loved. Their decor was quaint. It has flavor. I found that there were people from all age groups which was important to me. I would have loved to have spent more time at Maples. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The staff is rude and unhelpful. They tried to overcharge us several times. The one computer is slow and always ocupied. The breakfast is horrible. It is really loud, and you can hear peoople yelling late at night since the3y don´t enforce the quiet time policy. There are about a hundred hostels in this area. Don´t worry about making reservations. Just tell your cab driver to take you to Deciembre Ave. and Juan Rodriguez. Go to any other hostel on that street.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank GretaArizona
Reviewed 8 March 2009

It was the staff that made this hostel -- really warm and friendly, very patient with our rudimentary Spanish and making every effort to help us.
The rooms are kept very clean and are good value for money but vary quite a bit. Room 3 was on the ground floor and while absolutely fine for the price didn't get any sun and sometimes got a bit musty. The second time we stayed we got given a family room (room 10) which was much nicer up at the top of the building. The location is pretty good - just round the corner from La Mariscal but on a nice quiet street.
The breakfasts, which are included in the room price, are OK (juice, scrambled egg, toast, banana, tea/coffee) and they offer free luggage storage.
My only complaint would about be the free Internet access - most of the time the computer wasn't working and if it was then it was painfully slow.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple