“Good, but I could be so much better” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 201 things to do in Quito
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Good, but I could be so much better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I really liked what they are trying to do with this museum - it displays art and objects from the traditional tribes of Ecuador and puts them in context of who made them, what they are used for and what they represent.

However, there is very little information about the objects on display. Some have labels, most don't. Of those that are labelled, half are Spanish only. I suspect the there may have been some kind of accompanying guide book, but I wasn't offered it.

The displays are beautifully presented - I suspect that the objects are ment to be touched and handled, given how they are set out but I couldn't see anything that either confirmed or prohibited this. I touched some of them anyway... There wasn't anyone else around.

There's a nice accompanying shop, but it's a bit expensive.

I was the only person there when I visited which is a shame, it deserves more visitors.

Go - the and make sure you ask about any further information available in English.

Visited November 2013

Trabuco Canyon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Our favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

A small cultural museum that was an absolute hit with my eleven year old son. (I totally enjoyed it too.) Colorful, the displays are out in the open affording an ease to almost interact with the items. We would visit again if time permitted a second visit ... another trip to Ecuador!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Arana3
Quito, Ecuador
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“So So”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

It doesn´t have too much stuff to see, it is disappointing, facts there are not accurate either, they need to improve.

Visited February 2013
Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“welcoming, laid-back experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

The Mindalae is one of my favorite museum experiences. It's beautifully laid out with a spiral staircase that leads from one level to another; as you approach a level the lights come on, truly reminding you that this museum was designed with people from this century while it's filled with works of cultures that have been around for thousands of years. You're encouraged to take pictures. On the day I visited alone there was almost no one else there, and since this isn't a museum with guards hovering over you, I was free to take a close look at everything. I have never felt so relaxed in a museum. I visited later with friends on our return to Quito after traveling to other parts of Ecuador, and everyone loved it as much as I did. Best of all was the lovely lunch we had in their small restaurant on the terrace outside, where we could see a volcanic mountain towering above city streets. I almost forgot the fair trade gift shop, where I bought a backpack that I now take on every trip, and everyone wants to know where I got it.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank sherrysShenandoah
Guadalupe,Ecuador
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Cultures of Ecuador”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

Nice museum with interesting exhibits. Very helpful staff. Well worth a couple of hours if the various Ecuadorean cultures are of interest.
Nice cafe on first floor.

Visited June 2012