“Good for a night or two”
Review of Hotel La Cartuja

Hotel La Cartuja
Ranked #55 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here as part of a pre and post Galapagos cruise with G Adventures (formerly Gap Adventures). The first night my mom and I got room #2, which is on the ground floor part of the main house. My sister and her friend got room #8 on the second level of the main house. There are no hair dryers in the room. I think there were safety boxes in the room. Very limited hanging space, room is overall well lit. It got pretty chilly at night and there doesn't appear to have any central heating but thankfully the blankets and covers were quite warm.

The bathrooms are furnished the same way in all the rooms I've noticed. I should note there is a window in room #2's bathroom with blinds that don't close properly. The shower is also big. The shower in room #8 was quite tiny. The beds were double beds pushed close together.

When we returned from our cruise, my mom got a garden area room #10 on the ground floor and my sister and her friend stayed in the main house in room #7, located on the second level. The beds were still double bed sized. Room #7 had an extra bed, a single, in addition to 2 double sized beds. The windows do not lock in room #10. Whomever installed the lock did it backwards so that pulling down the hook did not hook to lock at all.

This place feels more hostel than hotel. Really a no frills place best for a night or two.

Breakfast consists of self service coffee, tea and toast. The kitchen staff will bring out juice, fruit and eggs (fried, scrambled or omelette) but only during late morning. If you get up as soon as breakfast is served, there are no eggs offered.

This place is within walking distance to a bunch of shops called Mariscal Artisans Market and Plaza Foch where there are plenty of restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second level in case the ground floor windows don't lock or bathroom wi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was a very homely place to stay with lots of nice pictures along the hallway and a pretty garden to provide some peace from the bustling of Quito. It really felt home from home.

We had been warned by fellow travellers that Quito is not the safest of places so we were pleased to see that to get in to the hotel there was a security buzzer to open the gate which is manned 24 hours a day so we felt really safe. The hotel itself is in a nice residential area and the neighbourhood felt really safe too. However the hotel is a bit away from the sights, bars and restaurants (15-20 minute walk) but taxis in Quito are really affordable and it is easy enough to pick up a taxi to get around. Just make sure before getting in to a taxi that it has an orange badge as these are the licensed taxis. You can always ask reception to book these for you which is probably best.

The room we stayed was on the second floor and it was quite vacuous with high ceilings so it felt a bit chilly and there was no heating. The bathroom was clean but if you were one of the last people to shower in the morning, the water was luke warm which wasn't great so I recommend getting up early before everyone else to ensure that you get a nice hot shower.

The staff were very helpful and when we arrived they gave us a map and we were given some orientation in terms of where we were in relation to the main sights. There was also a computer which was free to use if you needed to use the internet.

This place is good for short stays in Quito and provides a nice comfortable base.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Biffro
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed here with five other girls before and after our Galapagos trip. We felt very at home in this friendly clean spot!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We found Hotel La Cartuja as our meeting hotel for a GAP Adventures trip. The location was great--we could walk to Old Town as well as Plaza Foch in Mariscal. Besides featuring clean, spacious rooms in a quiet location, Hotel La Cartuja has the best staff in Quito. Teresa, Maritza, Miguel, and Patricio (as well as support staff who's names we did not know) were exceedingly friendly and helpful in our quest to see as much of Quito as possible. We stayed a total of 15 nights at Hotel La Cartuja.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McCallTraveler
Reviewed 17 November 2011

La Cartuja is best described as a ostal. it has a small but comfortable room, nice bed, sheets and covers and an old t.v. set with premium cable. it is quiet and cozy, and will allow you to rest easily at night.

it is perfect for one-night travelers, specially young adventurers passing by Quito or staying for a larger period of time. front desk is always nice and can even help you out if need a taxi/cab.

I did find some hair in the bathroom walls for example, but other than that, the room was clean enough and the hotel in general is nicely put. I didn't have breakfast (which is often included in the $60 plus room rate), but the room where it is served is simple with small amount of decoration and attention to detail. It also has a central patio which is wonderful during the daytime.

One of the disadvantages of La Cartuja is it's location. it might seem fine during the day, but please, don't take strolls near by during the night. It is also quite difficult to catch a taxi/cab just by standing outside of building.

La Cartuja is not for every traveler, but if you happen to stumble into it, you won't have a problem with it.

note: I stayed in a single room.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed at the Hostal Cartuja for one night at the end of my GAP adventures tour in the Galapagos. To get into the Hostal Cartuja, you have to be buzzed in through a gate by someone at the front desk, which is manned 24 hours. The hotel has a lot of character and feels like you are staying at a friends home. I loved the atmosphere of the place.

The rooms, while a little dated, are larger than the other hotel I stayed in at Quito. The room I got was on the second floor of the main building. It was sparsely furnished with a queen sized bed, work desk with a small (maybe 20 inch) tube television on it, and an armoire. The room did come with a very nice bathroom, and had high vaulted ceilings. Everything looked like it was made out of dark stained woods to make them look older or to make them look like antiques. I never got a chance to sleep on the bed, as I had to be at the airport at 3:00 in the morning, but the bed felt hard when I pressed down on it as I was checking the room. It didn't seem very comfortable at all.

The hotel isn't in a bad location, it just isn't in a great location. There are very few streetlights in the area, and there are trees in front of the hotel that block out light coming from the other buildings so at night it gets very very dark in front of the hotel. I don't remember there being any restaurants on the same street as the hotel, but there is a lot of night life within walking distance. There were plenty of bars, restaurants, clubs, and two markets within a 10 block radius to the hotel.

The best part of the hotel was the staff, who were all excellent. There was a problem with my booking, but the staff cleared it up in minutes. Not all of the staff I dealt with spoke English but we were able to communicate with hand signals and my limited Spanish. They were also able to help me get a cab driver who spoke English at 3:00 in the morning to get to the airport.

The only other problem I had with the Hostal Cartuja was with their "Business Center," which consisted of two computers attached to a printer. Several of the guests needed to print out their boarding passes for their flight the next day but we were told that the printer was out of service. Not because it was broken, but because it had run out of ink, and they didn't have a cartridge to replace it with yet.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I was La Cartuja for 2 nights at the beginning and end of a GAP Adventures Galapagos trip. It is a nice, basic clean hotel in a good part of town. The staff are friendly and helpful. There is a market nearby with great leather, wool and other souvenir items. Plaza Foch is nearby with many good restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo