“Best seafood we've ever had” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lua

Lua
Ranked #57 of 1,288 Restaurants in Quito
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boulder, Colorado
“Best seafood we've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Our second night in Ecuador we discovered Lua. It's kind of hidden away, but an easy walk from La Mariscal. We didn't have reservations, but they have a large dining room and seated us right away.

We ordered two ceviche dishes and we were blown away. Seriously amazing food. We each ordered a main dish as well. I can't recall exactly what we ordered since it was a few months ago, but I still remember how delicious everything was, and how it was all perfectly cooked and seasoned.

Lua is a little on the pricey side for Quito, but well worth it!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rach0601

Quito
“an excelent evening, very good food,service was not the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I was recommend by some friends to visit Lua, and it was a good recommendation, Food was excelent, however, the service lacked a bit of professional training I would say.
The taste of the entrees and of the main disihes was perfect, and the red wine was also excelent.
If you have tasted other restaurants in quito, you must go to this one.
As you may know if you come to quito, quito as been nominated South America's leading destination for its diversity and Heritage of Spanish, Inca , European and afro culture.by the TWorld travel Awards.
Fiid is now one of the delights in Quito, and I would say now competing with Peruvian food.
The enviroment is very nice, and surely you will enjoy the place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ROVP
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Nothing too much trouble for Lua's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Arrived with a party of seven for a five O'clock reservation to find the gates locked. Not a great start. A combination of poor Spanish skills and an improbable dining time had resulted in a reservation for five at seven. We must have looked pretty sad and after some deliberations the gates opened we were escorted into the restaurant and greeted by the charming (and English speaking) owner. From then on the evening was pure pleasure, enjoyed equally by three generations, from the drinks to the desserts. The decor is outstanding and included large bunches of fresh roses everywhere - someone really cares about appearances. More to the point, the owner really cares about food - we skipped the larger portion dishes and focussed on the appetizers. I don't read or understand Spanish so I can't name dishes - it hardly matters, we must have ordered 10 of them and each and every one was simply outstanding, in taste, in preparation, and in presentation. The service matched the food - I ordered a glass of an interesting sounding Malbec, was half way through it when a distressed waiter confessed that I had been given the wrong wine - it was removed and replaced by the Malbec which was indeed excellent.

This was a truly memorable evening, made all the more so by the presence of a young woman turning 15 - I suspect when she is as old as I am (71) she will still remember this evening.

If you are in Quito do yourself a favor, get into a cab and spend an evening at Lua's.

Princeton, New Jersey
“Memorable, spectacular meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our meal on Monday, September 2nd, at Lua was one of the greatest restaurant meals of my life.

My family and some friends squeezed in a meal at Lua on our layover in Quito on the way back from the Galapagos. We celebrated my daughter's 15th birthday (quinceañera) and wanted a special experience. We were a part of seven (all "foodies") with limited knowledge of South American cuisine. I did a fair amount of research before I picked Lua - our goals were awesome food (check), interesting plating and presentation (check), a relaxed atmosphere where we could here ourselves talk (check), and a fine dining experience.

We ordered a wide range of small dishes including the seviches, the tiraditos, the octopus salad, the carpaccio, and the oxtail ravioli. The plating was interesting without being too "precious". The octopus was grilled beautifully, the seviches had some daring touches (peppers, parmesan, not the basics). The food consistently showed cleverness, thoughtful combinations, and a deft touch.

The atun glaseado defied belief it was so good. Only things that have ever come close for me are really high end toro moments at a great sushi place. Only thing we ordered immediate seconds.The oxtail ravioli was also remarkable, and not something I was expecting to blow me away. We left saddened that we weren't able to order everything on the menu.

The only dish we didn't give top marks was the calamari crocante - the squid was fried just right, but we generally felt the ginger was too heavy.

We ordered the entire set of desserts. They were good, although not as memorable as the small dishes.

Drinks
Based upon research, I ordered the Pisco Sour which I thorughly enjoyed. I drink rarely enough that I can't provide much critical judgement. Most of the other adults had the house malbec, which we liked. They also whipped up a special fruit drink for the kids so they could join the toast - and put in a nice effort on this.

First, we had a strange set of circumstances that made this hard to fit into a regular rating. I booked a table for 7 people at 5:30 through our hotel (we only ate this early because we had a midnight flight out of Quito). When we got to Lua, they were closed! We didn't have a backup plan, and after a discussion, they just served us. So - we ended up having the entire restaurant to ourselves on a Monday night prior to their standard opening time. The service was warm and attentive without being unctuous, damn near perfect to my taste. The chef came out and talked to us and generally the entire organization went out of their way - outside their normal Monday routine - to show us the love. In addition, Lua has a '65 Triumph motorcycle as part of the interior decoration and we had a couple of bikers. We ended talking to the bike owner and getting some extra history.

We brought some candles for my daughters birthday, and they did that up nicely as well (we sang, they didn't).

Decor
Relaxed. Quito gets a little cold in the evening and the celing heating arrangement worked nicely. We really liked the motorcycle - which did not come across as Vegas-tacky to me - but it did not intrude strongly in the layout.

Overall
One of the best evenings out of my life. Over the top food. Great plating. Warm, attentive staff. No pretense. Now I need to find some excuses to return to Quito.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stockholm, Sweden
“Best birthday dinner!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

My partner was in cahoots with Chef Alexander Lua to prepare for me an unforgettable birthday dinner in Quito and they did not fail to deliver.

Lua is nothing less than a gastronomic dream! Flavours exploded and tickled our tastebuds and the romantic ambience made it feel more special. There were alot of locals dining and you could feel that it was a restaurant that people didn't only go to eat honest and good food but came back again for great service and cozy up in its warm and inviting environment. The waiters had great knowledge of the food and wine and communicated in English with ease. Chef Alexander checked on us many times and is proof that not all chefs are the angry type, in fact he's the uniquely happy, polite and warm one!

Thank you Chef and your team for a wonderful blind 7 course birthday dinner! It was nothing short of a beautiful surprise specially knowing that we both graduated from the same school in Australia! We have recommended your restaurant to all our friends here in Sweden, Australia and the rest of the world. We would be happy to come back on our next visit to Quito!

• Visited April 2013